2010 VW TDI w/DPF Delete - alternative to 507

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Are you inducing any over boost with your Malone tune, and if yes how much? If you are increasing anything over 10 % the torque at less than 2000 rpm you probably would need to increase the viscosity to a SAE 5W-50 or an HTHS of 4.0 as far as quality goes anything with an ACEA E7 rating will be fine.

I have to disagree with your statement as a generalization. Just because you increase power does not necessarily mean you need to increase viscosity. SOME engines may benefit, but many modern engines are primed to work with a specific oil grade and putting in a thicker oil will simply result in that oil being sheared down to the "desired" weight anyway. Several CR TDI UOA's also demonstrate this (I used to own one so I speak from experience). The argument could be made that "30-weight oils in diesels is a fuel economy thing only"... and while that may be true, 30-weight diesel oils are getting better than ever before with the betterment of base-oil technology AND the continued progression in oil specifications.

Here's an immediate example showing a 40-weight shearing into a 30-weight (not DPF-deleted): http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2878864

My 6.0L Powerstroke is a perfect example... it's been tuned and runs well over your 10% rule - yet I'm now feeding it a 10w30. Why? The HEUI injection system chews up a 40-weight over the course of 5k miles and turns it into a 30-weight anyway. 30-weights however don't really sheer much (if at all). CAT also uses the HEUI system and recommends a 30-weight in their HD equipment that is used in the most extreme environments and circumstances.

Protection is about specific viscosities for specific applications... if the CR didn't shear down the oil, then perhaps there is some benefit to the thicker viscosity. Then again, perhaps there isn't. To the OP - I'd say if you've deleted your DPF, simply ditch the 507 spec and go for the more standardized CJ-4 spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back