M&P Shield- slight case bulging with +P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm noticing that the case seems to have bulged a bit on the bottom side where it hangs out of the chamber- is this normal, and will it cause any issues with reloading?

e809a94e-f455-4d61-9f48-adcc24e4f9f8_zpsdbwxkcru.jpg

I can't be 100% certain, but no, I don't think there are any cracks- at least none that my eyes can detect.

Bulged cases with high pressure ammo happen in pistols that do not have fully supported chambers.

Only real fix is to get a barrel with a fully supported chamber or not shoot high pressure ammo. If you try to reload this brass, the case can fail causing a Kaboom.

I am not aware of anyone making aftermarket barrels for the M&P's with fully supported chambers unlike with glocks, where there are many options.

No. That is extremely unsafe. One weak brass in the bunch and boom! So far you've been lucky.

Is this .40 or 9mm? I have a Shield also and have not had this happen. Is this a factory load or your reload? This is not normal for any factory load so I suspect over pressured reloads. No reason to shoot even +p factory ammo as standard pressure meets FBI minimum expansion and penetration standards. All +p does is cause more wear on your gun and slower follower up shots.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'm noticing that the case seems to have bulged a bit on the bottom side where it hangs out of the chamber- is this normal, and will it cause any issues with reloading?

e809a94e-f455-4d61-9f48-adcc24e4f9f8_zpsdbwxkcru.jpg

What calibre an make of ammo?

I wouldn't be shooting any more of it if it was me. But I like being able to count to five on both hands, along with binocular vision.

BSW

Originally Posted By: Doog
Okay... what's the resolution?

garbage pail

x 2 after smashing the open end flat to prevent some unfortunate from finding it and attempting to reload it. On a different note, that seriously looks like a crack/split in the case and not simply a bulge. If this is a new pistol, I would be discussing this with S&W. To my knowledge the only mainstream calibers that had constant issues with lack of full chamber support in many different firearms is the .40 S&W, I have not seen a 9MM do this in any of the various pistols I have shot (S&W, Beretta, Sig, Walther, FN, Glock, HK)--this is not to say that it is cannot be an issue in some firearms, but for 9MM (if it is a 9MM) this has to be a rare instance.

Get a pistol with a fully supported chamber
whistle.gif
... or use sedate pressure ammo only. Personally I'd not use a pistol without a fully supported chamber. Think Glock .40 kabooms.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Is this .40 or 9mm? I have a Shield also and have not had this happen. Is this a factory load or your reload? This is not normal for any factory load so I suspect over pressured reloads. No reason to shoot even +p factory ammo as standard pressure meets FBI minimum expansion and penetration standards. All +p does is cause more wear on your gun and slower follower up shots.

It is chambered in 9mm. The cartridge is Hornady Critical Duty 135grn +P.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Doog
Okay... what's the resolution?

garbage pail

x 2 after smashing the open end flat to prevent some unfortunate from finding it and attempting to reload it. On a different note, that seriously looks like a crack/split in the case and not simply a bulge. If this is a new pistol, I would be discussing this with S&W. To my knowledge the only mainstream calibers that had constant issues with lack of full chamber support in many different firearms is the .40 S&W, I have not seen a 9MM do this in any of the various pistols I have shot (S&W, Beretta, Sig, Walther, FN, Glock, HK)--this is not to say that it is cannot be an issue in some firearms, but for 9MM (if it is a 9MM) this has to be a rare instance.

Alright, you talked me into it... I'll get a hold of S&W. What is the best avenue to contact them?

Also I know it looks like the case split, but I think that's just my attempt at cleaning up the picture- I used Photobucket's image tools before I posted it here to aid in diagnosis... Looks like I did more harm than good. In person, it certainly doesn't look split in the slightest. Not saying that one couldn't/wouldn't in subsequent shots though.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
S&W website should have all their contact info. E-mail w/ pics and explanation AND call.

Okay- pecked out an e-mail to them. I'll wait a couple of days before giving them a ring.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
If that is not a crack, could it be a oil/grease line?

No- it's more like a shadow. The cartridge is clean and aside from the bulge, undamaged.

9mmP should never look like that.

I'd contact Hornandy too, they could have a lot of ammo that's out of spec.

How warm was it when you got the budge? High temps increase pressure.

BSW

I can't be 100% certain, but no, I don't think there are any cracks- at least none that my eyes can detect.

That sure looks like a crack in the case in the photo. Maybe take another photo?

Did the feed ramp get worked over on this gun to made the case even more unsupported than factory stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back