timing cover leak on my focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
this is a minor setback easy to fix if you decide to keep that focus for a long long time and you get say 300,000 miles out of it you will always be able to tell the story that in the beginning you thought it was a lemon.
In 1979 my parents bought two Cadillac's which i still have qq plates on. One of them new had what sounded like a rod knock my parents brought it in a couple of times and they said sometimes they sound like that (we owned an engine shop as i still do) but time went by and the 1 year 12,000 mile warranty expired so as time marched on to now in 2015 with 344,000 miles the noise is still there and it is still running good.

A "minor" setback but gee is sure makes me wonder how did an issue like that get out of the engineering lab in the first place and how many other issues are hidden. Now days every engineering manager is under the gun to push new designs out on schedule. Thats why this is happening. Really no excuse for this.

Sucks to hear that. Hope it's taken care of.

Did they add any UV dye to the oil so they're sure it's the timing cover, and not just burning it?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Sucks to hear that. Hope it's taken care of.

Did they add any UV dye to the oil so they're sure it's the timing cover, and not just burning it?

It is the timing cover, we so a couple a week. Adding UV dye is required by warranty for any oil leak.

The shop manual says to "inspect and replace if necessary" we never re-use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back