are moog suspension parts all the same?

Is there only 1 level of quality when it comes to Moog suspension parts? I mean, is the alignment shop gonna have the same part that i go to the parts store and get. Some manufacturers have different levels of quality. Just wondered about MOOG?

any input or ideas?

Their "problem solver" is the best. You'll have a part number with a suffix, the suffix is important.

But then some part numbers they only make one line of.

No, there are different levels of MOOG suspension parts. I don't have more information or an example at this time. But others will chime in with more info!

Im going to replace ball joints on my 03 gmc 1500 pickup. it is two wheel drive. just looking at rock auto...there is only one ball joint listed...let say for upper on a two wheel drive pickup. Just wondered if there are different prefixed or something like that.

MOOG/Federal Mogul's second line "econo" chassis parts are called "Quick Steer".

Better than "Bum Steer" I guess.

Or "Loose Steer".

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
MOOG/Federal Mogul's second line "econo" chassis parts are called "Quick Steer".

No. They're different. Moog is a [censored] now.

Some stuff is good, some stuff is reboxed OEM, some reboxed Deeza or other quality sources, and some is reboxed Chinese junk.

Moog used to be very good, but their quality has declined in the past few years
frown.gif

Not all Moog parts are 555, and not all are made in Japan.
I would use 555 over oem parts.

The Raybestos premium line is FAR better than that of the Moog Eco line.

I gave up on Moog years ago. Boots always rot/tear/pop off.

The Raybestos boots are far better quality and are crimped on.

Last edited:
Moog stuff is all over the place, quality-wise.

Back then when I did some Toy (incl my wifey's 4runner), bought some regular Moog stuff and the quality is absolutely terrible... I gave up on them shortly afterwards.

Ray doesn't fair any better, IMO, for some of their stuff (reboxed) are terrible also.

Well, you get what you pay for, period.

Senkei-555 for Japanese (imports) are, IMHO, the best. They are the OE supplier for Japanese built brands such as Toys, Subies, Mazda, Honda, etc. Some are by NOK.

Q.

I would stay away from OEM unless they are greasable. I never had issues with Moog or TRW.

Well this if for a GM fullsize pickup truck. 1500 series. seems like the control arms fully assembled my be the way to go on the uppers. not r series arms but a better arm.

Been looking at proforged stuff.....is it any good?

considering proforged, moog, raybestos, possibly napa???

what has everyone else had good luck with?

I prefer Moog parts. Long time company that I have found to make quality products. Plus, they are one of the few manufacturers that still offer zirc fittings and not only "self sealed / lifetime sealed" junk.

I've never had any issues with sealed OEM joints, only with the greaseable ones. And I agree that Sankei 555 parts are top-notch.

Originally Posted By: jasonal
Well this if for a GM fullsize pickup truck. 1500 series. seems like the control arms fully assembled my be the way to go on the uppers. not r series arms but a better arm.

Been looking at proforged stuff.....is it any good?

considering proforged, moog, raybestos, possibly napa???

what has everyone else had good luck with?

Usually "NAPA premium" suspension parts are premium Raybestos parts. "Master Ride" usually comes from Taiwan and has BAW written on the part.

Napa premium has held up well on my dad's 2007 Pontiac G6 and mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. That in mind, quality of replacement suspension parts is really hit or miss.

There is another problem with buying replacement parts. Sometimes the OEM part isn't durable enough, and the replacement part can't be made much better. I am used to seeing that problem in lower control arm bushings for FWD cars.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've never had any issues with sealed OEM joints, only with the greaseable ones. And I agree that Sankei 555 parts are top-notch.

Naturally...

I have had nothing but bad luck with sealed OEM joints. I have had to replace them multiple times, until going to greasable ball joints with the zircs. Haven't had to change one since.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I have never had to replace a greasable front end part, only the "lubed for life" parts which rarely lasted beyond 60-70 k miles. The no fitting units are only as good as the seal. Even with a bad seal, if the part is greased a few times a year, any contamination will be flushed out.

Well OK, to each his own I guess. I thought the same thing about flushing out old grease, that's why I bought the greaseable ones. But I've had three separate instances to the opposite, the first one was with my Accord where I bought MOOG upper control arms (both sides). One was a sealed 555 unit and the other was an unmarked greaseable one (but both in a MOOG box). The greaseable one failed approximately 20,000 miles later (yes I did grease it), yet the 555 one was still fine.

The second was the sway bar links on my Sienna, the MOOG greaseable ones lasted around 15,000 miles before starting to stick and click on stops. I replaced those with OEM parts.

The last one was a set of NAPA ball joints for the Sienna, the greaseable ones did not last nearly as long as the original OEM ones. I found 555 joints for cheaper than the the OEM ones. Those have only been on for around 20,000 miles so I don't know how long they will ultimately last. With that vehicle I may never know.

I think that for import vehicles MOOG is all over the place as to quality. Sometimes you get good stuff in the box for less money than OEM but sometimes you don't. If I had gotten two 555 control arms for my Accord I would have been telling a different story I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have never had to replace a greasable front end part, only the "lubed for life" parts which rarely lasted beyond 60-70 k miles. The no fitting units are only as good as the seal. Even with a bad seal, if the part is greased a few times a year, any contamination will be flushed out.

Back