Engine Flush/Engine Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Supplements are sometimes useful. I would agree that they are generally over used and misrepresented, but occasionally they can be a great help...

You nailed it again Steve. There are a handful of "additives" that can be beneficial at times for some people. Not every car that gets oil changes as per the OM avoids problems. Bad things happen sometimes, even for people who follow the book. Neglected engines are a different story, and some "additives" can be even more useful in those engines.

I think It's important to make the distinction between an oil additive and an engine flush as one is in the engine for 15 minutes and the other is in the engine for the entire drain interval.

We use engine flushes and fuel system cleaners from Wurth in our workshop and I have to say that all of the cars we regularly service have no oil burning issues or injector failures.

We see plenty of oil burning issues and injector failures on cars that just come in for repairs though so it's a pattern to take note of maybe. The Daihatsu petrol engines have a tendency to burn oil but not the ones we service.

I think a mistake a lot of people also make is to use the most powerful product which is not always the way to go as it dislodges so many deposits in one go which can be harmful to the engine.

On here you probably wont see too many issues because no one is doing the full drain interval but on our customer cars we notice the difference in the lack of issues.

I incidentally notice the color of Toyota Engine Flush like Liquimoly Motor Protect, but i never use LM flush, just wondering if anyone use LM flush can tell what is the color of the liquid ?

I know a lot of garages in the UK use Wurth as they sponsor a lot of the schemes so they're required to. To be honest, never seen it make a blind bit of difference, I've done plenty of injector replacements by cars that haven't had it, and cars that have gone to the local garages all their life who use it religously every time the car is in still have the same issues.
Tends to just be a nice earner for the garage, even worse with the Forte lot, who have to pay a monthly fee and activily push Forte stuff to be part of the well advertised 'Good Garage Scheme', which is just a way to push products onto the unsuspecting customer, how the [censored] that cosy arrangment has never been investigated by trading standards I'll never know. The ones around here certainly ain't good garages, I usually get all the [censored] they've broken to repair...

Last edited:
not an engine flush but this product was distributed by Volkwagen of America. I saw similar tubes of this being installed in my mothers 1997 Honda accord in the late 90s at the dealer oil change. I never thought about it at the time.

hbgQBdn.jpg

There are a number of different reasons for oil consumption in recent model Subarus and Toyotas. The OP didn't specify what MY, make, and engine so it's pointless to try to get Jesuitical about different product's effectiveness.

That said, I have had good (great) success using piston soaks (various chemicals will work) on engines with oil consumption due to known ring issues.

YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back