How warm does your unheated garage stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an attached garage, unheated, house was built in 1999. garage stays apx. 18 degrees warmer than directly outside the garage, this is the first winter I've been able to park in the garage for about 5 years, and that 18 degrees really seems to make a difference on start and warm-up.

Same here! Unheated attached garage!
I have an old thermometer in the garage. Even when it's below ZERO outside, the thermometer never gets below 20 deg's F. So, I am about where your are in terms of outside temp/garage temp.

Last edited:
I love it, half the garage was taken up with okay i admit, junk..I love parking in the garage, I feel like a million bucks!

My garage is not attached but assuming the car gets pulled in at night to provide a little heat, the next day it will be 15-20 degrees warmer than outside. I have a little insulation in the ceiling so far with plans for the walls someday.

Of course the wood stove is there for when I need it nice and toasty.
laugh.gif

Attached unheated garage. House is 73 degrees and garage gets to 58 degrees at the lowest but our nights in the winter can get to the lower 40s usually.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Attached unheated garage. House is 73 degrees and garage gets to 58 degrees at the lowest but our nights in the winter can get to the lower 40s usually.

same thing over here in Southern California. about 15 degrees warmer than outside and the TDI hits 3 notches on the temp meter rather than 1 notch after 2 miles when merging onto the freeway.

Mine is roughly 20 degrees warmer than outside. House was built in '93.

And we religiously keep it clean so we can park both cars inside. It's so great to pull out of the garage with a clean, relatively warm car while the neighbors are scraping off the snow and ice!

Unattached, unheated. 17'F every morning, even if -15 outside.

Has a concrete slab on top of "bank run" fill. No insulation, vented soffits.

The snowblower never melts, it still has ice on it from January.
frown.gif

The slab's so warm that the salty "car water" stays liquid. I sweept it up with a broom and dustpan and get 1/2 gallon many days! Some may be condensate but most falls off the rocker panels.

About 20° warmer than the outside temp.

Uninsulated steel double garage door probably radiates some of the cold in. Heat from two cars engines might contribute to some of the warmth.
21.gif

North facing split level with dual single garage doors. I've got them insulated, but not sure it helps. If the winds are calm, the garage is at worst 35 degrees warmer than ambient. When the winds start blowing, the garage drops to 25-30 above ambient. Spread gets closer as outside temps rise. Yes it makes a HUGE difference starting in the morning.

Water bottles will freeze in mine. My snowblower stays snow & ice covered. The side door is open at times during the day for the dogs. But a 86K BTU propane heater will make it 80F in 30 minutes.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I don't keep a running talley but it seems the garage runs about 20F warmer than the outside temp.

Same here. My garage ceiling is insulated as well as the wall that attaches it to the house.

We have an attached unheated garage completed in 2007 on a slad (1) 10' door & (1) 18' overhead doors with a side access door. It's built on the south side of our house. Ceiling and walls are insulated with fiberglass rolls - R19 wall 2x6.

It never drops below 40°. House is kept ~ 68°F. We haven't been below zero since it was built but have gotten to single digit lows a couple times.

Metal detached 24x28 garage on a 5" slab its usually 5-10* COLDER in my garage than outside!! I swear the metal just holds the cold in! I've just got my walls partially insulated so it is much better now but really need to get the roof done to make it worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back