Equivalent gear oil for 10w40 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My scooter calls for 10w40 oil in the final drive case. This is a pretty basic setup with straight cut gears. The scoot has been modifies heavily and I was looking to use an actual gear oil instead of the engine oil. Being a small powerplant that I am looking to squeeze every bit of power out of, I need something that isn't going to have too much drag. What would be a good option? I have BG Syncroshift II which I think is 75w/80. Would that be a good choice? Open to options.

visc.jpg

Looks like a 10w-40 would require a lighter 75w-90wt.

The main issue will be its behavior in the very cold - note where 10w- vs 75w- falls...

If youre open to it, Id consider a 50/50 blend of the Amsoil 5w-30 and 75w-90 MTFs.

And I'd bet that a dedicated gear oil would protect the final drive much better than a motor oil. I was thinking Amsoil made some kind've scooter oil (or was it some other company?).

I do know that Castrol Syntec 75W90 GL5 says on the bottle "made for scooters" or something like that.

The BG stuff is 75w/80 GL4. Currently I have Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil that is GL1 rated. I'm sure it is fine, but I just think a dedicated gear type oil may offer better protection and performance under heat.

Do you think that 75w/80 is too light? I use it in it my manual trans car and it has been really good. Also was looking at Amsoil MTF 75w/90 but it might be a little on the heavy side.

Since this is a scooter, it really won't see any super cold weather. More of a warm weather toy
smile.gif

I would stick with 10W40. The old dirtbikes that shared sumps with engine and tranny also having air cooled engines were fine with 10W40. 15W40 has also been used for years in shared sumps..ymmv

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Since this is a scooter, it really won't see any super cold weather.

I hope not! Man I couldn't believe it..... the other day I was on lunch at work and saw some crazy... driving around on his scooter. I think it was 8 dgrees that day.

Yeah, it's been bitter cold here in Michigan!

Its a 2T scooter that has a CVT belt drive system to a final gear set. There is no sharring of oil, and it does not have a normal dirt bike trans. The rear gears use their own oil.

I have the Severe 75w90 on my shelf, I was just thinking that it would be a little heavier than I need.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I have the Severe 75w90 on my shelf, I was just thinking that it would be a little heavier than I need.

Nah. Go for it.

Yeah if bearings are from "non-ferrous" metals I wouldn`t use GL5 either...

You can use GL4/5 or GL4+ or GL5 with MT-1 spec instead (different chemistry wich doesn`t attack "non ferrous metals")

motor oil sae 40 12.5-16.3cst
gear oil sae 85 11-13.5cst
gear oil sae 90 13.5-18.5cst

Use a 10w40 motorcycle motor oil. Valvoline, Castrol, Mobil1 ... make great synth motor oils.

Use any GL4 75w85 or 75w90 manual transmission fluid. Amsoil MTG, Redline MT85 or MT90, or the Mopar, Gm, Ford, Hyundai/Kia, Nissan... stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back