E-85 Now costs more then gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Yeah, that is what I would like to see. I live is just as much of a "corn belt" state as anyone, Iowa, and currently in my area, E10 is 1.79, E15 is 1.67, and E85 is 1.62 at the pump. We have been using the E15 for several weeks now, as there is no mpg change experienced between it and E10, but it is averaging about 5-10 cents a gallon cheaper.

Corn lobby thing is pretty much irrelevant regarding price. Ethanol is a commodity traded on the Chicago Board as much as any other commodity. Corn lobby might influence how states mandate its use, but they have no say in the traded commodity price of the product itself. Lowest ethanol commodity price in that last 7 days on the commodity exchange is 1.31 a gallon. Friday's close was 1.35 a gallon. Farmers cannot state what the price of corn is on any given day, and ethanol producers cannot state what the price of ethanol is any given day. The market will decide for them.The corn lobby influence is given more credit that it deserves.

It sure begs the question, why would a producer, when the market price for ethanol is $1.35 a gallon, be selling the stuff below that? That is business suicide. A business' goal is to keep costs low and increase profits. If the going rate for me to haul a particular product is $2 a mile, I am sure not going to haul it for $1 a mile.

You must be right, it is business suicide. Yellowhose.com has changed their policy 1/1/15 from $1.00 under the price of regular unleaded to 70 cents. Regular is $1.91 today, and E85 is $1.21.

Check out their website. I'm staying inside where it's warm today!

http://myjhfamilystores.com/StoreHome/Fallasburg

Filled up with E85 today in Alexandria, MN for $0.89 a gallon! E10 was $1.89. There is a Cenex station in town that seems to always have E85 priced a $1.00/gallon less than gas. I can't see how they are making any money selling it for that but I'm not complaining
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

A selfie with the fuel prices in the background would be preferred.
crackmeup2.gif

At least you didn't include "just sayin'" at the end of your request.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

A selfie with the fuel prices in the background would be preferred.
crackmeup2.gif

At least you didn't include "just sayin'" at the end of your request.
smile.gif

Lol. How about a #??

#lowfuelprices #e85 #yolo

Ultimately the real test is not the spot pump price because there are different subsidy/tax structures in place picking favorites. It is really no different than the wind/solar power versus fossil fuel debate.
Long-term the cost of production should dictate the price. Anything else is distorting the economy and removing value.

That being said, enjoy the good prices while you can since the delta has been paid for in taxes anyway.

Back in the mid 80s I got mixed up with a gasoline supplier, P-----r Petroleum. They essentially paid you to move their product, E10, through these little outlets they picked up in a bankruptcy sale. About a year later after we got the ball rolling the oil prices really dropped and ethanol cost more than the gasoline. I asked the tanker driver about it when he was dropping a load and he said, "Man, there hasn't been a drop of ethanol in this stuff in 3 months." Still advertised as gasohol because Austin liberals loved it.

e85 is 30 cents higher than 87 octane here.

So the thing with e85 is that some guys are converting turbo sports cars because it is a higher octane fuel.

As fuel for a regular e85 car, its a loser for the consumer. I had a flex fuel grand marquis and could never make the math work on using it.

Picked up a gallon today, as I want to see if I can make biodiesel out of the stuff.

$1.118 per litre, versus regular unleaded at $1.20, 98RON premium at $1.28, and 100ROM at $1.31.

Makes absolutely no financial sense, but I do know a guy that boosts up to manifold/tyre pressure crossover on E85.

It absolutely reeks compared to petrol.

Looks like one can make biodiesel out of the stuff.

Took a couple hundred ml of E85, a teaspoon and a half of caustic lye, shook and settled for a while.

Added another half litre of VVO, shook it some, and it milked up immediately and cleared.

Some hours later appears to have a glycerine layer splitting off the bottom.

Seems strange that E85 would be at or higher than regular gas price. Ethanol closed on the commodities exchanges Friday at around $1.45 on the commodities exchange and gas closed Friday around $1.60 on the exchanges. Oh well.

While a year ago, in my area, E85 was a good value even with the reduced mpg, as it was a dollar or more cheaper than regular. This year, E15 has been the best value in my area. 10 cents a gallon cheaper than E10 and 30 cents a gallon cheaper than E0, while offering virtually the same mpg in my engine as regular.

When petrol was $1/L in Oz (long time ago), E10 was 96 cents, and worrth it.

When petrol was $1.50/L (very recently), E10 was $1.46, clearly not worth it, and the reason that Manildra were having lunch with our Premier, and trying to make it compulsory to have ethanol in all fuels, at 10%, even 'though they knew that they didn't have the capacity to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back