Iver Johnson 1911A1 Mil-Spec Matte 8+1 9mm 5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these? I had an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine years ago, but have not seen anything from IJ for some years. They are on sale for about $420 and I was considering buying one just to have it, but wondered about quality.

716009473.jpg

TIA!

I think just about any 1911 out there will run and are accurate enough for what you're buying. The only downside, if considered a downside, is the weight of the various 1911 5" offerings and almost always all-steel.....good pistols and comfortable to shoot but too heavy for my comfort-carry.

One of my foolers was a Philipine 1911 4-1/4" that....bought it only because it was $300 and a 4-1/4". What a pleasure to shoot and surprisingly accurate!

We collect 1911's and have eveything from a Norinco 5" to Kimber 3". It's tough for the average shooter to wear out a steel 1911 but even if worn out, any replacement parts, available from a very large assortment of prospective vendors,can be easily replaced.

More than one 1911 off-shore, deemed to be a paperweight forever, have been fondled and caressed by precision, known-quality, and fitted professional parts that become tack-drivers rivaling any other 1911....it simply takes good parts and careful fitting.

Yes, Fleetmon is right. 1911's require hand fitting and that costs $$. I would love to see these guys run well but at this price I let someone else be the early adopter (for the time being)

;-)

Curiously, the fussiest I have are generally the better pistols.....loose and sloppy shoot everytime, tight and true shoot almost everytime (until the B/I).

They are in the same league (Philippine built) as Armscor / Rock Island Armory. I would just get the Rock Island Armory because Armscor is better setup here in the USA, their warranty service is top notch.

There are a few you-tubes on this, but here is a short one shooting,others are on taking it apart.

practice,a lot, imho

On my last trip to the range a week ago a guy in the stall next to me had an Iver Johnson 1911. I had my Metro Arms 1911 that day. We started talking and swapped guns for a few minutes. It compared to my Metro Arms when I first acquired it, before all the polishing and deburring. Decent finish, tight but a with relatively heavy trigger pull. For the price he paid, similar to the price you stated, I'd say it was a good deal.

Shooters Arms makes the gun from what I can gather. They are on the lower end of the Philippine 1911 makers. I would put a Metro arms(such as American Classic) or Armscor(Rock Island) higher up in terms of consistent quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back