Water chiller maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I have a question on a water chiller we use in our lab. The water chiller had some deposits that needed to be flushed out. The unit specifies distiller water for use. We only have deionized water on tap at our facility. I understand DI water is hungry for ions and can be tough on metals. What can be added to DI water to satisfy its ion hunger, yet keep the solution reasonably neutral and noncorrosive?

What are the internals of the water chiller where it di water circulates. Copper does not hold up, but what if you run the water through copper to passify it before using it in the chiller?

Last edited:
That's a good question - I handle different chillers that require deionized, distilled, and water/glycol mixes.

I have deionized water available. Just like Spasm3 said, passify the deionized water with a bit of metal to dirty it up a bit. I drop a penny in a 1-gallon jug of DI water.

Alternatively, leave an open container of deionized water open to atmosphere for a few days and it will dirty itself up enough.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I have a question on a water chiller we use in our lab. The water chiller had some deposits that needed to be flushed out. The unit specifies distiller water for use. We only have deionized water on tap at our facility. I understand DI water is hungry for ions and can be tough on metals. What can be added to DI water to satisfy its ion hunger, yet keep the solution reasonably neutral and noncorrosive?

Flush with 5% acetic acid. We found that to work very well.

What's the feed to your DI unit? If RO, draw off before the DI unit if possible. DI with a splash of tap water will work. Distilled from the store is usually single distilled and OK for use.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back