Detroit DD15 and 60 series 12.7 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a 2012 Coronado with a 560hp Detroit DD15 @400,000 miles and was serviced before purchase with 15w40. I have heard Detroit factory fills with 10w30 and i would like to switch but have heard you may need a software update to change? Is that true? Truck is always around 80k never over and is run in the Northwest so gets a good mix of every season...

Also would 10w30 be safe to run in an epa 98 60 series 12.7 year round?

Thanks!

You can run the 10w-30 but it should be the diesel 10w-30, not just any over the counter motor oil.

You can also mix as well with 5w-40/15w-40.

I haven't kept up with detroit as it has been many moons since I owned one. TiredTrucker will probably chime in sooner or later. He seems well versed in your subject.

Sorry I'm no help.

I have not run 10w30 in my Detroit 60, but the Detroit Lube manual does say it can be used in the 60 as long as it meets 93K214 (CI-4+) or 93K218 (CJ-4) standards. The DD15 is factory filled with 10w30, so you can run 10w30 in that one comfortably. I have never heard of any software update to change to 10w30 on the DD15. First I ever heard of such a thing.

For the Series 60, I would take a strong look at the Amsoil 10w30/30w ACD oil. It is a straight 30 with no viscosity improvers, yet it meets the 10w30 standard. It is a CI-4+ oil so would be fine in the Detroit 60, but NOT in the DD15 because of the emissions stuff. In the 15, it has to be a CJ-4 oil. The Amsoil ACD should be a killer oil in the 60. Sure won't get sheared, which is common with the 60. But that being said, if you want one oil for both motors, I have heard nothing but good things about the Mobil 10w30 synthetic blend. The place where I get my oil changed is stocking it now, as is a lot of other locations. That might be a viable option for both motors.

I am sitting on a healthy supply of Schaeffer 15w40 synthetic blend, but when I get to the end of it, I am considering giving the Amsoil ACD a go myself.

On the 60, make sure you take an oil sample on a 10w30 each time just to track it and see if it is going to work out fine.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have not run 10w30 in my Detroit 60, but the Detroit Lube manual does say it can be used in the 60 as long as it meets 93K214 (CI-4+) or 93K218 (CJ-4) standards. The DD15 is factory filled with 10w30, so you can run 10w30 in that one comfortably. I have never heard of any software update to change to 10w30 on the DD15. First I ever heard of such a thing.

For the Series 60, I would take a strong look at the Amsoil 10w30/30w ACD oil. It is a straight 30 with no viscosity improvers, yet it meets the 10w30 standard. It is a CI-4+ oil so would be fine in the Detroit 60, but NOT in the DD15 because of the emissions stuff. In the 15, it has to be a CJ-4 oil. The Amsoil ACD should be a killer oil in the 60. Sure won't get sheared, which is common with the 60. But that being said, if you want one oil for both motors, I have heard nothing but good things about the Mobil 10w30 synthetic blend. The place where I get my oil changed is stocking it now, as is a lot of other locations. That might be a viable option for both motors.

I am sitting on a healthy supply of Schaeffer 15w40 synthetic blend, but when I get to the end of it, I am considering giving the Amsoil ACD a go myself.

On the 60, make sure you take an oil sample on a 10w30 each time just to track it and see if it is going to work out fine.

Well I will switch to 10w30 for sure in the DD15, just not sure on the 60 series now. It has 725K on it and has been really reliable on 15w40 and I dont want to mess it up. I might just run it for an oil change interval and post up to UOA on it and see. Thanks for the info!

My brother and I run team and we're spec'ing out a new Cascadia/DD15. Our plan is to use Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 year round. I'm not sure how good I feel about a 50,000 oci, so I plan on taking an oil sample at 20,000 miles to see how the oil is holding up.

The company we drive for uses Delvac 15w40 in their company trucks on a 50,000 oci. According to the shop, their oil analysis has been really good with the Delvac. I've looked at the heads on a few motors in for service, all with over 750,000 miles on them and all have been spotless.

Why not use a 10w30 in that Cascadia you are spec'ing out? Detroit is going to have 10w30 in it from the factory. Delvac now has a very good 10w30 synthetic blend available in most places. The Mack dealership that I use for oil changes started stocking the Delvac 10w30 blend a while back. If I was using Delvac and had a DD15, I would jump on that 10w30 blend in a heart beat. Speaking of 10w30, there are a number of carrier fleets that have totally switched over to 10w30 for their DD15's, ISX's, and Paccar MX engines. Probably a fleet primarily running Volvo engines that is totally on 10w30 as well.

15w40 has it's place, especially in the older technology engines. I use a 15w40 synthetic blend from Schaeffer in my Series 60.

Hi TiredTrucker, I see that Detroit is using 10w30 HDEO as a factory fill in the DD15's in the Cascadia Evolution models, so 10w30 is what I'll be using. I've been researching the 10w30 HDEO a ton, and I've read Daimler is using Delvac as their factory fill. Looking at Mobil's website, the 1300 Super doesn't have Freightliner's 93K218 spec, but their syn-blend Delvac Elite does, so I'm assuming that's what they're putting into the new DD15's.

I remember using SAE 30 straight grade way back when, then switching over to 15w40, so using a 10w30 HDEO is new territory for me. I know it's mainly for better mpg, but do you have any data on the wear numbers using 10w30 HDEO year round vs 15w40?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dak27
Hi TiredTrucker, I see that Detroit is using 10w30 HDEO as a factory fill in the DD15's in the Cascadia Evolution models, so 10w30 is what I'll be using. I've been researching the 10w30 HDEO a ton, and I've read Daimler is using Delvac as their factory fill. Looking at Mobil's website, the 1300 Super doesn't have Freightliner's 93K218 spec, but their syn-blend Delvac Elite does, so I'm assuming that's what they're putting into the new DD15's.

I remember using SAE 30 straight grade way back when, then switching over to 15w40, so using a 10w30 HDEO is new territory for me. I know it's mainly for better mpg, but do you have any data on the wear numbers using 10w30 HDEO year round vs 15w40?

Thank you.

Considering the astronomical cost of an oil change on the DD15 (going by word of mouth, not personal experience), I would definately go with a delvac elite (regardless of which grade) and strive for 50k miles. Mobil claims extended drains with their elite versions of delvac.

I used chevron delo xle for one oci (23k miles) in a volvo D11 and got excellent results. The tbn was getting down close to volvo's lower limit but that truck ate up tbn quickly on most oils. The wear metals were the same (or better) than with 15w40 oils. The DD15 has much more oil capacity than what my volvo had.

I think you'll be happy with a 10W30.

From what I have gleaned by reading around, the 10w30 oils are tending to stay in grade a lot better than the 15w40 oils, especially with the longer OCI's being recommended by the OEM's. The 10w30 tends to be a little more shear stable. I have no first hand data to confirm or deny this. But there is a growing cadre of folks that are running the 10w30 oils in these heavy diesels. I did see an oil sample on the Delvac 10w30 being run in a Cummins ISX and it was pretty darn good. As good or better than any 15w40 UOA I had seen.

All I can suggest is that run it for a while, maybe take a sample and send it in every 15,000 miles an see how well it holds up to determine if it is going to do the job of you. If it doesn't, then you can get it out of there and run a 15w40. I have always changed out the factory fill oil within 10,000 miles, then I go with the recommended OCI. You could start doing your 15K sampling intervals after that first oil change.

Hi,
Danny26 - I used Delvac 1 5W-40 in my fleet of 12.7 DD engines for several years. I fitted a Centrifuge and used SS FF inserts and had a UOA programme in place

My OCIs averaged 90kkms
Top up rate = 1 ltr/6kkms
My main condemnation points were (150ppm) and Soot
Viscosity at OC was always in Spec

I carried out a teardown/measure up on one engine at around 1.3m kms. The engine's internals were spotlessly clean. All parts were in Spec but I re-ringed it and fitted new main/big end bearings. The results are available on BITOG via search. I showed these at the 10yr BITOG get together in Chicago a couple of years ago

Before I settled on Delvac 1 5W-40 for my engines I Commercially field tested Castrol and other HDEOs - both mineral and semi-synthetic

If I still had these engines I would be using Delvac 1 FE 5W-30

Last edited:
Thank you, Dusty & TiredTrucker for your replies and advice. I really appreciate it. I'll drain the factory fill at 10K and start the 15K samples after that.

Best regards! -Dak

Thanks for the info guys!

So just talked to the service guy at the freightliner dealer I bought my truck from and he said 10w30 is only for the 2013+ GHG14 trucks. He said my 2012 DD15 was meant to be run on 15w40 or 5w40 as the oil pump is designed to maintain a certain oil pressure with that viscosity oil. He said if I run 10w30 I will have low oil pressure issues? Anybody know if that's the case?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

If I still had these engines I would be using Delvac 1 FE 5W-30

I almost used the delvac 1 fe 5W30 this past weekend. It would have been an expensive experiment because I could not extend my drain enough to make a ROI with warranty imposed limits.

It may be viable for someone with a new DD15 and factory approved 50k mile oci's.

Hi,
Danny26 - DD have long allowed the use of 5w-30 and 10w-30 products according to ambient temps.

Dealers don't always get tit right - refer to the latest DD lubricant specifications list. Pressure can be adjusted - volume is another matter!

Originally Posted By: Danny26
Thanks for the info guys!

So just talked to the service guy at the freightliner dealer I bought my truck from and he said 10w30 is only for the 2013+ GHG14 trucks. He said my 2012 DD15 was meant to be run on 15w40 or 5w40 as the oil pump is designed to maintain a certain oil pressure with that viscosity oil. He said if I run 10w30 I will have low oil pressure issues? Anybody know if that's the case?

See below for your answer. Understand that Doug Hillary has been around the block once or twice. He's worked for at least one of the major oil companies and has been in on A LOT of their interesting projects.

Also Tired Trucker is no fool either.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Danny26 - DD have long allowed the use of 5w-30 and 10w-30 products according to ambient temps.

Dealers don't always get tit right - refer to the latest DD lubricant specifications list. Pressure can be adjusted - volume is another matter!

This is one of the few places on the net that truly has a VERY short way with foolishness. One of the main reasons I stay.

Thanks for the info guys, I am very aware of the vast knowledge of the members on this forum that's why I ask questions here rather than just going by what the dealer says. Thanks again for the info guys this forum is great!

FWIW we have those DD15 engines in our fleet, and they are holding up better than the Cummins. More DPF issues w/Cummins. We use Delo 15W-40 in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back