Yamaha Bolt Rotella 15W40 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Analyzer! I really never thought anything about oil until my brother told me about Blackstone, now I've found myself doing hours of research trying to find the right oil. I plan to stick with Rotella T in my bike, I might give their 15w40 synthetic a try when it becomes available in my area. I have spent most of my time trying to figure out what to run in my truck. I'll have to do a UOA and post it on here on my next oil change.

No problem at all Austin! I agree, Rotella appears to be doing a great job for your new Moto, and I too am interested in this new syn. blend 15W40 that's making its debut! The main question I have is whether or not it'll be worth the additional cost in comparison to the original. This new version being a syn. blend will probably be a blend of base II and either base III/III+ depending on whether they use a synthetic hydrocracked base oil (III), or dip into their supply of GTL base stocks (III+). Given we don't know what percentage of synthetic base stocks will be utilized, in theory we should be able to expect a higher viscosity index, increased oxidation stability, reduced volatility, and lower pour point which are desirous factors, but from the bulk of UOA's these tend not to be large factors, especially since most UOA's are well within wear condemnation limits, strong remaining detergents/TBN, insolubles, flash point, etc.
From what I've seen many UOA's look very solid, with shear stability being the more common factor/issue; especially in motorcycle applications. How much more shear stable (if any) will this new formula be than the original base II Rotella 15W40 (which is extremely shear stable in and of itself) is my biggest question, especially if it's more capable in this respect longer OCI's could be used as long as the other remaining factors are within check.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That is a good report considering the miles the Rotella was in use. Rotella T 15W40 conventional starts with a cST of 15.5, so it only dropped 3.8 in 4000 miles. Your Bolt features a unit design, shared sump for clutch, gears, engine yes? Gotta love Rotella.

oh my god i'm looking all over for the 40 weight T5

Originally Posted By: austinhyd
Here's my second UOA. I'm sure I'm gonna jack posting this up, but here it goes.

Not a bad UOA for 4500 mile run on Rotella and a whole lot better than Amsoil MCT 10W40 did in my Ducati for a similar run. Granted, different bikes, but still a notch in Rotella's favor against highly hyped Amsoil.

My engine seems to like Rotella. I had originally planned on changing it at 5k miles, but shifting started to get a little notchy. I'm still pretty impressed with Rotella. For $21 an oil change, I think I'll stick with it and a Wix filter.

Thanks! I think you're right abut the fuel causing the low flash. I had fuel in the last report and thought it was where my FI was out of sync, but it's definitely been in sync the whole time this oil has been in it, so that can't be it. I guess it's just like that.

Another great report considering you have a little fuel in there.

Ive said it time and again, doesnt matter the brand of oil, though its proven Rotella is a good solid oil, a 15/40 oil will not shear as fast as a 10/40 and way better then a 5/40.

20/50 will do a bit better then the 15/40 if its a recommended viscosity.

Again, good report, the 15/40 holds up pretty darn well with 4000 mile changes. I doubt very much you will find a 10/40 that can equal it, but would be interesting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I doubt very much you will find a 10/40 that can equal it, but would be interesting.

can you find a 10w40 at the same price that will hold up? NO!
how about at double the price? ummm...no!
what at triple the cost? maybe but prolably not
quadruple? now you are starting to warm up
5x? now you are in the ballpark! but are you actually playing or just buying a hotdog in the stands?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I doubt very much you will find a 10/40 that can equal it, but would be interesting.

can you find a 10w40 at the same price that will hold up? NO!
how about at double the price? ummm...no!
what at triple the cost? maybe but prolably not
quadruple? now you are starting to warm up
5x? now you are in the ballpark! but are you actually playing or just buying a hotdog in the stands?

Just a question for learning purposes because I know you have looked at thousands of UOAs. Doesn't the mobil 4t hold up pretty good. Thanks

spur,
depends on the motor its in.
in your bolt it might, but again at what cost?

here is a better question (from my motors perspective):
if the famous (or infamous) m1 "red cap" 15w50 gives you a uoa susvis of 71.9 (remember it takes 68.28 to be 40wt and 83.11 to be 50wt) in 200 miles. would you really consider using m1 4t 10w40?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
spur,
depends on the motor its in.
in your bolt it might, but again at what cost?

here is a better question (from my motors perspective):
if the famous (or infamous) m1 "red cap" 15w50 gives you a uoa susvis of 71.9 (remember it takes 68.28 to be 40wt and 83.11 to be 50wt) in 200 miles. would you really consider using m1 4t 10w40?

Great point. Thanks

Has anyone tried the new T5 15W40 in a motorcycle? I've looked and haven't seen any UOAs. Only find them for the triple protection.

Originally Posted By: austinhyd
Has anyone tried the new T5 15W40 in a motorcycle? I've looked and haven't seen any UOAs. Only find them for the triple protection.

I have it in my FZ1 right now. Probably won't have results until this fall. So far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back