Honda's Dw1 Vs Eneos Eco Synthetic Atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm currently using Honda's Dw1 atf and interested in using a synthetic transmission fluid in my Acura Tl, My local Napa have Eneos eco synthetic atf and it's suitable for various Asian vehicles as well as Honda's Z1/DW1. My transmission shift's great and there's no problems but i wanted to know would switching to a synthetic transmission fluid have any negative affects? I don't know the viscosity specs for Honda's DW1 except i know it's a thin atf fluid and i'm not sure if its a synthetic blend, full synthetic or conventional atf? Any suggestions or opinions? Thank's
smile.gif

The specs for Eneos eco synthetic atf are:

ENEOS ECO-ATF is compatible with transmissions requiring Toyota T-IV and WS, Honda Z1 and DW1, Nissan Matic
J and S, Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia SP-III, GM Dexron III, Ford Mercon and others. (not compatible with CVTs and ATs
requiring Ford Type F.)
TYPICAL PROPERTIES
PRODUCT ECO-ATF
Appearance Red
Density (15°C) g/cm3 D4052 0.849
Flash point (COC) °C D92 220
Kinematic viscosity
(40°C) mm2
/s D445 27.67
(100°C) mm2
/s D445 5.73
Viscosity index D2270 155
Brookfield viscosity (–40°C) mPa-s D2983 16,400
Pour point °C D97 -47
TAN mgKOH/g D664 1.34
TBN (HCl method) mgKOH/g D4739 1.93
Copper strip corrosion (100°C, 3 h) D130 1b
Aniline point °C D661 112
Foaming prevention, ml/ml Seq. I D892 0/0
Seq. II D892 20/0
Seq. III D892 0/0
Revised 10/14
is the corporate brand name of JX Nippon Oil

Honda ATF is a rather contentious topic around here. Some people say DW1 is nothing special, breaks down fast, etc. Others say any multi-vehicle ATF spec'd for Hondas will do. Then there are those that say anything but DW1 will destroy the tranny.

Having 2 Honda vehicles myself, I'm of the opinion that you can never go wrong with Honda DW1. You'll hear anecdotes about XYZ fluid being the best, yadah-yadah. I'm not knocking the other fluids; they may be great. I'm not familiar with the Eneos fluid you're talking about. But...if you want to remove any doubt and uncertainty, run the Honda stuff AND change it out regularly.

What year is your TL? Mileage? ATF service history?

Last edited:
Hello,

My Acura is a 99 Tl and i'm the second owner, The original owner owned the car for 12 years, The car had 190,000 miles when i bought it. The transmission was serviced regularly with Honda's atf z1 and currently Dw1...
smile.gif

Those transmissions will grenade no mater what you do. How much is the Eneos you're considering?

Maxlife is widely available for less than $5/qt and very highly regarded here, and labeled for Z1 and DW1.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Those transmissions will grenade no mater what you do. How much is the Eneos you're considering?

Maxlife is widely available for less than $5/qt and very highly regarded here, and labeled for Z1 and DW1.

Nonsense. Many have over 200K trouble free miles, which for ANY transmission is a respectable number. IMO you can NOT go wrong with Honda Genuine ATF. Use the DW-1 and do a drain and fill once yearly (should be 3 quarts).

262,000 on my junky 04 Honda odyssey tranny. They are true junk- can you believe it - original and just used Honda garbage fluid. Man those tranny suck and so does the van. Why do I drive the peace of junk- oh yeah- the hunk of junk works, starts everytime and drives like a champ. I am tired of all the bashing- yeah they have issues but so do all the other brands. Enough- I am fed up with the Honda bashing.

My Ody had the transmission replaced in 2005. I used Maxlife Synthetic ATF, drain & fill every 30k and haven't had any trouble since. Eneos or any other brand that specs Honda should work fine also.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
tommygunn said:
?

Maxlife is widely available for less than $5/qt and very highly regarded here, and labeled for DW1.

No, it is NOT labeled suitable for DW-1 applications in the USA.
Check out the US PDS it says NOTHING about being suitable
for DW-1 apps. The European PDS does and the formulas are different in our two markets.

@Charmer37:

The only suggestion I would have that is out of the box is if you want to use full synthetic ATF you could order
Honda DW-1 product that is for the Canadian market. It states right on the bottle that it IS synthetic, where our US
spec DW-1 is not!

That being said I would trust the ENEOS product as being suitable, as they are a very reputable company.

Eneos Eco is a good ATF but the -40 spec seems a little high for a full synthetic.

Maxlife can be used in any noncvt Honda/Acura automatic that called for Z1, which includes the OP.

Shipping or driving to Canada for a fluid marketed as synthetic is not worth the hassle.

Peak, Amalie, Mag1, Smittys, Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple. Lubegard, Castrol, Pennzoil, Lubegard... have some synth options for your originally filled with Z1 transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back