2015 Duramax factory fill - 986 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not overly concerned as this is a brand new truck and I have an extended warranty on it.

As mentioned, I dumped out the factory fill oil and filter at 986 miles on the engine. Installed an AC Delco PF2232 oil filter and 10 quarts of Mobile Delvac 1300 15w-40. I know there are better oil filters out there, but for warranty purposes, I wanted to keep the same for now.

I haven't towed anything yet and have been easy on the engine. I live in So. California so the weather hasn't been cold at all.

Thinking about doing another flush at around the 3,000 mile mark. I currently have 1,500 miles on it now. I did not reset the oil life monitor yet; it's currently reading 78% oil life left.

Screen%2520Shot%25202015-02-16%2520at%25206.52.23%2520PM.png

Nope, no problem. This is my first new vehicle ever and first diesel ever, so I just wanted to see what is going on.

Plan on keeping this truck for a long long time.

**Edit** This is the 5th vehicle I've owned, but they were all used. This is my first NEW vehicle I've bought from a dealership.

Last edited:
They are really nice trucks. Probably you will get tired of it before the the engine wears out. A few people I know have them.

Yes set the rings with some load and it needs a load to break In the rear gear. Best truck on the road it would be epic if not for epa stuff . Impo I think it would get 2 to 3 mpg with out epa [censored] .

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
I'd change the diff and trans fluid at 5K, since they take a little longer to break-in.

Changing trans fluid and diff that early seems pointless, but maybe theres something I'm missing...?

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I'd change the diff and trans fluid at 5K, since they take a little longer to break-in.

Changing trans fluid and diff that early seems pointless, but maybe theres something I'm missing...?

Why not? Switching to a synthetic like that would prevent excessive wear at those beginning miles of the truck. It might also make you sleep better at night.

I changed the diff and had the CVT fluid changed in my Subaru at 10K to get the break in debris out. Don't want to leave that craap in there too long just like you wouldn't for the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez

I changed the diff and had the CVT fluid changed in my Subaru at 10K to get the break in debris out. Don't want to leave that craap in there too long just like you wouldn't for the engine.

Agreed through and through.

CrazyJeeper -

typical break-in data; nothing unexpected.

If you want to do another flush at 3k miles, that's fine. The reason to do so would be to lower the residuals quicker for UOA trending. But, it's by no means a necessity. Personally I'd not waste the fluid since you've done it once already.

Same goes for the diff(s) and ATF. Not a bad idea to get out the FF out, but once done, you can rest easy. If 4x4, perhaps even the xfer case.

The Allison tranny has a nice outer spin-on filter; I'd not change that yet. Let that load up a bit more and do it perhaps at 10k miles. Then follow the standard routine on it's changes; you can find out more at the Allison website. Use Dex VI in your 2015; very good fluid.

Generally one flush is enough to get out the major stuff and any left-over machining remnants. After that, run it and enjoy it. It's a diesel; don't be afraid to load it up! The worst thing you can do to these trucks is baby them with short daily trips. Load them up and work them; they can take it.

Last edited:
Op,
How many hours were on your dmax when you got it?
Mine had a bit of idle hours from the dealership even though it had only 200 miles on it when I bought it.

Did you get free oil changes from the dealer? if not the 1st is always free.

Allison requires that the spin on filter is changed at the initial 5k miles 1st time. The Allison has transynd, it is good for a long time.
You can buy a case of those filters from a heavy truck place, much cheaper.
You can also by the transynd there too, when you need it.

I switch out:
front diffy, transfer case, and will change the rear diffy in spring, I have 15k miles on mine.

As others have mentioned, take it out and drive it :)

Last edited:
Wow. Interesting lot of debris showing up in the UOA of a new engine. Many here say to dump the factory fill early, and this is a good data point confirming that.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Op,
How many hours were on your dmax when you got it?
Mine had a bit of idle hours from the dealership even though it had only 200 miles on it when I bought it.

Did you get free oil changes from the dealer? if not the 1st is always free.

Allison requires that the spin on filter is changed at the initial 5k miles 1st time. The Allison has transynd, it is good for a long time.
You can buy a case of those filters from a heavy truck place, much cheaper.
You can also by the transynd there too, when you need it.

I switch out:
front diffy, transfer case, and will change the rear diffy in spring, I have 15k miles on mine.

As others have mentioned, take it out and drive it :)

stockrex, I don't know how many hours were on my truck when I purchased it. I need to go in an turn on the hour meter on my cluster; I have it turned off at the current moment. The truck came from San Diego, CA via a dealer to dealer vehicle swap and ended at my dealership in Huntington Beach, CA so it did have about 130 miles on the odometer at time of purchase.

I haven't taken advantage of the free oil change yet as my OLM still indicates 78% oil life left. Took it upon myself to dump the factory fill.

That's not correct ...

Here is the official Allison change calculator:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/fluid-filter-calculator

I will note, however, that Allison does not warrant (nor make) the "Allison 1000" in his HD truck. It is made in Baltimore by GM at their facility; they warrant that tranny. It is also NOT filled with Transynd (or any other TES-295 product, or even an approved Allison ATF); it is filled with Dex VI at the Baltimore facility.

If you look over the Allison site, they do not even make recommendations for non-Allision ATFs. Since his truck has Dex VI, it will not complete the calculation.

The TES-389 spec is essentially the old Dex-III(h) spec with the added compatibility for seals chemically. So if he had a dino Dex III in there, he can generally go 50k miles on the fluid and filter. Using Dex VI (a non-approved fluid) that has about twice the oxidation resistance and viscosity retention of the former Dex III, it would be roughly good to 100k miles. I would still do the spin-on filter at 50k miles.

Change the spin-on whenever you like, but 5k miles is a bit early. However, since GM is the one providing the warranty, I'd ask your dealer for written confirmation on the O/FCI schedule. I recommend using a DEX VI product; plenty of inexpensive ones out there now, even ST has one and it's licensed! Don't spend the money on a TES-295; you'll never get the value out of it. Dex VI is an excellent fluid, and while not as long-lasting as TES-295, it's far better than what you're ever going to put it through for a sensible OCI.

P.S. - no, he probably does not qualify for severe service either; pulling an RV every once in a while or commuting is NOT defined as severe by Allison. They reserve that designation for SERIOUS abuse, like trash-trucks, city buses, transit shuttles, etc.
"Is the transmission duty cycle severe? Severe Duty Cycle is when the transmission is equipped with transmission retarder or, used in on/off highway vocation, refuse vocation, transit vocation, or intercity coach that stops more than once per mile.
Uses where the average speed is super low, the temps are really high due to low airflow over the heat-exchanger, and the t/c rarely locks up, all while pulling heavy loads in summer heat, driven by the lowest-common-denominator making near-minimum-wage. THAT is what they define as "severe" service; not hauling a boat up the ramp or taking the horses to the show, or some other pansy example of pseudo-manly behavior.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

That's not correct ...

Here is the official Allison change calculator:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/fluid-filter-calculator

I will note, however, that Allison does not warrant (nor make) the "Allison 1000" in his HD truck. It is made in Baltimore by GM at their facility; they warrant that tranny. It is also NOT filled with Transynd (or any other TES-295 product, or even an approved Allison ATF); it is filled with Dex VI at the Baltimore facility.

If you look over the Allison site, they do not even make recommendations for non-Allision ATFs. Since his truck has Dex VI, it will not complete the calculation.

The TES-389 spec is essentially the old Dex-III(h) spec with the added compatibility for seals chemically. So if he had a dino Dex III in there, he can generally go 50k miles on the fluid and filter. Using Dex VI (a non-approved fluid) that has about twice the oxidation resistance and viscosity retention of the former Dex III, it would be roughly good to 100k miles. I would still do the spin-on filter at 50k miles.

Change the spin-on whenever you like, but 5k miles is a bit early. However, since GM is the one providing the warranty, I'd ask your dealer for written confirmation on the O/FCI schedule. I recommend using a DEX VI product; plenty of inexpensive ones out there now, even ST has one and it's licensed! Don't spend the money on a TES-295; you'll never get the value out of it. Dex VI is an excellent fluid, and while not as long-lasting as TES-295, it's far better than what you're ever going to put it through for a sensible OCI.

P.S. - no, he probably does not qualify for severe service either; pulling an RV every once in a while or commuting is NOT defined as severe by Allison. They reserve that designation for SERIOUS abuse, like trash-trucks, city buses, transit shuttles, etc.
"Is the transmission duty cycle severe? Severe Duty Cycle is when the transmission is equipped with transmission retarder or, used in on/off highway vocation, refuse vocation, transit vocation, or intercity coach that stops more than once per mile.
Uses where the average speed is super low, the temps are really high due to low airflow over the heat-exchanger, and the t/c rarely locks up, all while pulling heavy loads in summer heat, driven by the lowest-common-denominator making near-minimum-wage. THAT is what they define as "severe" service; not hauling a boat up the ramp or taking the horses to the show, or some other pansy example of pseudo-manly behavior.
grin.gif

Dave, so we have fake ally trans in our dmaxs? ;-)

Op, I am sorry, I stand corrected.

back in 08 Dec, when I bought mine, I looked up the service schedule, and there was an Allison service bulletin in a pdf file online. It mentioned a 5000 mile initial filter change and then 50000 miles then on.

I tried the calculator, it is pretty slick, after I tow a few times this summer, I will drain and fill my tranny with Transynd.
I don't have many miles but I have lot of idle time, I need to check my hour meter. I see ally recommends:
150,000 MILES (240 000 KM), 48 MONTHS, OR 4000 HOURS, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.
My factory fill will be 7 year plus old this summer, I won't have anywhere near 4000 hours or the miles, but Dex vi will be drained and trans will go in.

Asking the GM guys is like asking my 4 year old is she has to pee. You will get a different answer everyday, I am fed up with them.

That little supplement booklet that comes with the Duramax
option is out to lunch and hard to understand when it comes
to the Allison transmission.
In the main owner's manual they show the wrong end of the
handle to lower the spare tire.
And it seems that nobody at GM knows how to convert USA quarts
to liters.

Question: If you use SAE 40 instead of 0W40 will the engine
hold 10.5 liters instead of 10 liters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.