Are the Purolators still failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you guys don't know this so perhaps I should inform you. . .

There are other brands of filters available besides Purolator!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

laugh.gif

Yep, like the OCOD
27.gif

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
Just wondering if its safe to start using the Pure Ones again...

whatever you read or heard was hogwash. use them with confidence.

laugh.gif

Nah.....

I would not take the chance when there are other great filters out there like say Wix which is an excellent filter for the money.
How about fram ultra they seem like a solid filter although a little pricey but that is one filter they make in my opinion that seems to be very good and the fram company seems to respond to any questions or problems you may have unlike the "other company" .. All the pictures that are posted everywhere are enough evidence to prove that there are issues with them. Play it safe until they fix those issues and use something else. There are other quality filters that are not known for tearing. Hopefully one day they will be good again because they are priced good.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Well that is the Purolovers party line until their QA manager can solve the tearing problem (but that they don't admit too unless you had a problem and then it was your fault for running old stock but since the filters that failed weren't old stock it shows they don't have a clue).

Let's just blame everyone and everything except poor quality filters.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Yeah, confidence that they have the possibility of tearing. Why take the risk until there is solid proof the problem is fixed.

My wifes 2012 Acura lease is up this month and I figured I would do my own sort of torture test on a P1 with it lol. So I ran about 18k on Havoline 0w20 and a PL14610. The oil and filter were in service for about a year with 1qt of top off oil. I cut the filter open and it was perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
I cut the filter open and it was perfectly fine.

What was the date code on the can?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
I cut the filter open and it was perfectly fine.

What was the date code on the can?

I don't remember off hand but I bought it about a year ago. I might still have it so I will check for it.

Not all of them are bad the problem is which ones are the good ones. Think about this also how many people cut open their filters??? 1% ?? How many filters are really really bad that just slip by its like playing Russian roulette think about it.. Its Not worth the risk when there are quality filters out there. It's great you found a good one i did also but there are lots of people that have proof that they got bad ones. I have noticed the threads of the motorcraft 820-s (made by purolater) looked shoddy and thin compared to all the frams including the ocod. Check them out for yourselves i have no reason to lie.

Why bother with them at all there was nothing that great about them anyway.
Fram, Wix/Napa, Mobil 1 and others all offer as good or better alternatives.

When the ones with tears started showing up i tossed the stash in the trash and didn't feel bad about it, in fact i was relieved i didn't put them on an engine.
Burn me once your fault, burn me twice my fault for not learning. For me they are done along with Bosch and Mann and whatever else they make.

49.gif

Have you ever heard of the name "Tearolator"?
whistle.gif

Luckily we live in north america where we can get better filters for the money.
34.gif

For example I used my car for this one:

Tearolator - low mileage: $10.49 http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PSL14612-Synthetic-Spin--Filter/dp/B007BXCLQU

Mobil1, up 15K : $10.96 http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-M1-108-Extended-Performance-Filter/dp/B004D5SUIC

Fram, up to 15K: $9.67 http://www.amazon.com/FRAM-XG6607-ULTRA-Spin--Filter/dp/B00BNX79RA/

Penzoil, unknown: $9.54 http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-HPZ-37-Platinum-Spin--Filter/dp/B008YUE9BY/

PS: I will probably be flamed for this
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

Why bother with them at all there was nothing that great about them anyway.
Fram, Wix/Napa, Mobil 1 and others all offer as good or better alternatives.

When the ones with tears started showing up i tossed the stash in the trash and didn't feel bad about it, in fact i was relieved i didn't put them on an engine.
Burn me once your fault, burn me twice my fault for not learning. For me they are done along with Bosch and Mann and whatever else they make.
49.gif

+1 for me as well including MC filters. Although I have not had any issues with MC (and I have ran them for 10K and 15K with no issues either), since I tend to run 10K OCIs as a minimum, I have switched my fleet over to FRAM Ultra. I did not care for the wavy filter media (and to reiterate, it was NOT torn on the MC), and the FRAM Ultra blows away everything that Purolator makes except perhaps, the PSL line and availability of those filters makes my choice a simple one.

Until I see a good solid year of tear free latest production product, I wont trust or recomend them. Puro made MC, QS, Bosch D+, Mopar etc. don't worry me.

Lots of other options out there besides Purolator.

For the Pro Purolator/ Anti Framites, there is more than Fram too.

Are folks getting emotional about WIX yet? What about Baldwin?
crackmeup2.gif

Purolator has got to be the most successful brand name in U.S. history. Despite the major quality control issues, people are still hypnotized by the name. Reminds me of another brand name, Mobil 1.
laugh.gif

Purolator has got to be the most successful brand name in U.S. history. Despite the major quality control issues, people are still hypnotized by the name. Reminds me of another brand name, Mobil 1.
laugh.gif

Really? I had never heard of them before people were pushing them so hard on this site in the past. IMO they are a small player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back