Spam cans!!..

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.. not the "meat" we all so very, truly "love". But rather this is for ammo that comes in spam cans. I can get a can of .223 tulammo for about $150.00 which contains 500 rounds of tulammo, or I can get a can of silver bear .223 at $245.00 containing 700 rounds. Tulammo costs .30 cents a round versus the silver bear at .35 cents a round. It will be fed through a bolt action .223.

Which would you get, and why?? I am torn between the two.

Last edited:
Silver bear is loaded by Barnaul and I have had good luck with it. The 62 grain silver bear I bought had primer and bullet sealant. In my experience it was also a little less dirty than the Tula I ran. And if you are one that worries about lacquer residue in your AR chamber the silver bear solves that concern(I dont personally buy it, but some swear it happens).

Up to you though...if you clean your rifle after every shooting, they will both serve you fine for plinking ammo.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you don't reload then there is no justification for the brass ammo though.

And in my world, if a gun that I might have to trust my life to in a SHTF situation cannot chew through the dirtiest and nastiest steel cased ammo...then I ditch it for one that can. As long as the ammo goes boom as it should, and does not pop primers or something like that...I expect my gun to eat it.

Umm, neither. Too expensive for steel case ammo. Ive bought brass case ammo for 28 cents per round within the past 3 months. Shop around.

Looks like you are looking for storage ammo, based on the spam can? Spam cans are useless and annoying otherwise. Look for 223 battle packs. They are sealed in plastic, easier to open, and accomplish the same thing as spam cans.

I like the Prvi Partizan battle packs. Have several in 5.56. Should have bought some in .308. Next month's shopping, perhaps...

If we are truly talking SHTF, then I want my rifle running on quality ammo. It may not get cleaned as much, or as well, as it should. I'll use the cheap stuff if I have to, but I don't want to stockpile it. I want the odds in my favor, and that means quality gear, and quality supplies...

Last edited:
Well in a SHTF scenario you may run out of the good stuff and have to shoot what you can find....hence it is good to practice with the junk stuff to make sure your rifle digests it.

I've never heard of a bolt action choking on steel case ammo? Sometimes chokes in semi auto guns due to dwell issues (attempting to extract the case before the pressure has dropped low enough out of the barrel)

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Which would you get, and why?? I am torn between the two.

What purpose will the ammo be used for? Hunting, plinking, precision target shooting, dooms day/end of the world scenario? Each could use different ammo suggestions for best results.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've never heard of a bolt action choking on steel case ammo? Sometimes chokes in semi auto guns due to dwell issues (attempting to extract the case before the pressure has dropped low enough out of the barrel)

Mosin Nagants are notorious for having "sticky bolt syndrome" with steel cased ammo. I have seen it so bad on a friend's M44 that we needed a rubber mallet to open the action.

Last edited:
Heck, Walmart carries the Tulammo for $5.47 a box (20 rounds). Pick some up and shoot it to see what you think. I can get 500 rounds of it from Wally world For like $146.33 out the door. I was just in there this morning and they had a boat load of the stuff.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
It would be for long-term storage against inflation, ammo scare, etc.

Spam cans can and so leak however. If you are storing your ammo in a climate controlled environment, then you do not need them.

For a bolt action, I buy whatever I want. Bulk low price ammo isn't even a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back