Thinking About a Bullpup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the idea of the efficiency... Full-length barrel but much shorter than a traditional rifle. Great truck gun or CQB gun...

Anybody have one? What do you have? Caliber? What do you like about it? Dislikes?

Reliability? Cost? Trigger good/acceptable/bad?

I can't answer your question, but I am wondering how your Tacoma runs with EP and a Fram? I was thinking of this combo myself. I am still on the factory fill on my '15 Tacoma.

Any problems with the ADBV, and the filter being base-down?

My BIL bought one for $1700 last summer and still hasn't put any lead thru it. I am dying to shoot it, but he has a bunch of safe queens that he will not let me touch
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I can't answer your question, but I am wondering how your Tacoma runs with EP and a Fram? I was thinking of this combo myself. I am still on the factory fill on my '15 Tacoma.

Any problems with the ADBV, and the filter being base-down?

PM sent

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
My BIL bought one for $1700 last summer and still hasn't put any lead thru it. I am dying to shoot it, but he has a bunch of safe queens that he will not let me touch
frown.gif

What a dweeb!!

What calibre? I was handling a 12 gauge in this config today, held 14 rounds IIRC. Sweet gun, very compact.

Well the Steyr AUG would be my choice. If you get the one that takes AUG mags you get the last shot hold open. Been used for over 30 years by military forces with generally good results. I would prefer it to the TAVOR because barrels are easy to swap.

thank Robenstein, it has been bugging me not being able to remember what manufacturer it was. My BIL has a TAVOR. Looks really cool, but I don't know if I could ever get used to shooting it.

I handled a Tavor....its okay. Ahead of something like the Bushmaster M17 or the FN2000. It is seeing use by the Israelis now, but still does not have the long track record the AUG does. Most of the problems you see with the AUG were because Australia for instance wanted a manufacturing license for it instead of purchasing the rifles from Steyr, and their domestically made AUGs just were not built to the same level.

The Aug is also neat because you can change barrel lengths to suit your needs in about 30 seconds. And it has a built in forward pistol grip, where the Tavor does not.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Aug and Tavor are both good designs. Both pretty expensive too.

Yes, they are. But, at $1500-2000 (quick search on Gunbroker), they're on-par with, or less than, a quality, conventional rifle (or high-end 1911, even).

Someone mentioned the bullpup-style shotguns. I've watched some reviews on them, and it seems that they get mixed reviews as to reliability.

Seems to me that a bullpup 12-gauge with a mag capacity of 14 rounds would be just about an ideal vehicle defense weapon. There ain't much that hits harder than a 12-gauge at closer ranges.

I've been shooting a AUG at my local rifle match for the last year or so and have about 1000 rounds through it.

The new Steyr AUGs are well made and have complete factory support, instead of being reverse engineered. The receiver castings are finish machined in the US, the barrels are made by FN using their CHF equipment and hardchromed. Stocks and other small parts are Austrian.

With the AUG I get a rifle that's as short as a SBRed AR but that has a 20" barrel, with its better ballistics. The rifle also carries and points very nicely as all the weight is towards the rear, even with the 20" barrel installed.

The AUG also has the advantage of having a adjustable gas regulator, so you can increase the force on the action if the rifle is very cold, dirty, or shooting weak ammo. Plus, since it's a short stroke gas piston design, the action stays clean and unfouled.

The Tavor isn't a bad rifle by any means, and I wouldn't be upset if someone gave me one, either.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
I've been shooting a AUG at my local rifle match for the last year or so and have about 1000 rounds through it.

The new Steyr AUGs are well made and have complete factory support, instead of being reverse engineered. The receiver castings are finish machined in the US, the barrels are made by FN using their CHF equipment and hardchromed. Stocks and other small parts are Austrian.

With the AUG I get a rifle that's as short as a SBRed AR but that has a 20" barrel, with its better ballistics. The rifle also carries and points very nicely as all the weight is towards the rear, even with the 20" barrel installed.

The AUG also has the advantage of having a adjustable gas regulator, so you can increase the force on the action if the rifle is very cold, dirty, or shooting weak ammo. Plus, since it's a short stroke gas piston design, the action stays clean and unfouled.

The Tavor isn't a bad rifle by any means, and I wouldn't be upset if someone gave me one, either.

BSW

Awesome information! Thanks!!

So-far, it's sounding like the AUG, the Tavor, and the FN2000 are all very good rifles.

I have a .22 Bullpup, a Walther (G22?). Never really had any desire to get a larger caliber Bullpup, but if you want a compact weapon, I guess it's a good option.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Yes, they are. But, at $1500-2000 (quick search on Gunbroker), they're on-par with, or less than, a quality, conventional rifle (or high-end 1911, even).

Someone mentioned the bullpup-style shotguns. I've watched some reviews on them, and it seems that they get mixed reviews as to reliability.

Seems to me that a bullpup 12-gauge with a mag capacity of 14 rounds would be just about an ideal vehicle defense weapon. There ain't much that hits harder than a 12-gauge at closer ranges.

That was me
smile.gif

This is the bullpup I handled today:

UTAS-UTS-15-lato-sinistro.jpg

Looked it up, it is the UTS-15.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That was me
smile.gif

This is the bullpup I handled today:

UTAS-UTS-15-lato-sinistro.jpg

Looked it up, it is the UTS-15.

Very nice. Yeah, they're made in Turkey...I've watched a couple of reviews on it and the RFB by KelTec.

I want one.
smile.gif

I've done some research, and watched some reviews on bullpup rifles tonite...if I had to buy one tomorrow it would be the IWI Tavor...in OD green.
smile.gif

BUT... The Tavor is $1600... And these bullpup 12-gauges are half that, and hit much harder at close range!

Heck I want both!

Hmm... KelTec or UTAS...

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins

BSW

Awesome information! Thanks!!

So-far, it's sounding like the AUG, the Tavor, and the FN2000 are all very good rifles.

The FN2000 has some drawbacks. You MUST use GI aluminum mags in it(or steel equivalent). The rifle has mag "wipers" that engage in the grooves. So your polymer mags will not work in them. Clearing a jam can be an issue as you have to access the action via a trapdoor in the top. The only think I really liked about it was the forward ejection.

I've got a FS2000 also that I've shot some at the same rifle match.

It's well made and has given me very little trouble over the years I've had it. The only jams I've had were caused by not seating the magazines fully: The rifle fires and loads the next round but eventually the magazine works loose and causes a doublefeed stoppage.

The fix is to pull back the CH and lock it open, remove the magazine, then work the CH several times until the jammed cartridges fall clear. Then load again and fire. I've never had a stoppage that require open the inspection door or disassembling the rifle.

The rubber lips that keep you from using anything other than a metal STANAG magazine are there to keep dirt out of the rifle. The rifle itself is very well sealed against foreign debris since the magwell is sealed and the ejection port is remote from the action. There just isn't any way to get a lot of garbage into the gun.

The AUG was the cool-kid gun from when I was a kid, and I do like the aesthetics of it more than the FS2000. But on technical points I can't fault the FS2000, which is why I probably still have it.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back