Hoppies No.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm still using the Hoppies No.9 solvent that I have used for years and I was wondering how many of you still use it? Do you think good old No.9 is a thing of the past that has little use now and there are much better products out there now? ... Still love that No.9 smell

60+ years and it still works for me although I don't shoot anymore. Just run it through the bore once a year followed by Hoppes' gun oil. Model 18 Combat Masterpiece in almost like new condition with box, unopened tool kit and S&W literature of the period (1972). Probably don't need to do even that .Quality products from a very old firm.

Pronounced Hoppies, spelled Hoppe's. I've used Hoppe's #9 Nitro Powder Solvent as far back as I can remember, Dad even let me clean the "barrel" on my Daisy BB gun with it!
grin2.gif
The formula was changed years ago(maybe 10 or so?). Still very good stuff for its intended use. I would *Not* want it on any airgun seals though- even way back then Dad made sure of that!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
I use it, dad used it ,gramps used it. They might change the formula but don't mess with that timeless smell!!!

Same - in fact, for Christmas a few years ago, I got my brother Hoppe's #9 air fresheners for his truck!

He loved 'em...so did I...

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I understand that the new version is a different formula?

I think a change occurred over 20 years ago. I believe they removed nitro-benzine from the formula?

I think they make a synthetic blend now. Marketing-speak for a non-hazardous formula.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I cant stand the stuff. Stinks to high heaven. I use less stinky products.

Same here
wink.gif
G96 has the best smell, bubble gum.

I remember bubble gummers......

My wife doesn't like the smell of No.9 either, so it works even better.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I cant stand the stuff. Stinks to high heaven. I use less stinky products.

So do cigars...but I associate the smell of both Hoppes and cigars with time well spent. It's a positive association.

I don't mind using the old Hoppes No. 9 outside when cleaning guns, but I don't like to clean a gun inside with it. The nice thing about Hoppes No. 9 is it still works and it is cheaper compared to some other cleaning products. The Hoppes Elite, for example (which I think is the same as M-Pro7), works good and does not smell but it is more expensive and a bottle does not last long.

Hoppes supposedly came out with a new version of Hoppes No. 9 that is improved over the old version. I have not seen a bottle of the new stuff anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back