Mopar MO-899 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was on my dad's 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi V8 for about 6,000 miles.

The media didn't have any tears, the ADBV was still pretty pliable, but the only disappointment was the end cap (which contains the bypass valve on this filter) fell off in my hands once I cut it open.

I replaced this filter with a Napa Gold 7899 which is what I will continue to use for this vehicle.

photo_1_1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_3_1.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

Do we know if that's the way it's designed? Meaning the end cap/adbv is supposed to simply press against the secondary plastic/composite end cap on the media?

I've never seen this before.

That oil doesn't look like it has run 6,000 miles, still a nice gold color.
Put it back in and go another 6,000.....just joking

Nice looking filter, thanks for the cut and post. I believe that is a purolator made Mopar. As for the endcap falling off, that is really odd. I have never seen that before. Weird.

Filter looks great, endcaps popping off has become more common with Motorcrafts and Mopars the last few years. But they otherwise hold up very well.

I've never understood how those who get hysterical over Fram's fiber endcap just yawn when the metal ones pop off.

Neither scenario is an issue IMO.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

The metal end caps falling off seems pretty normal with these. Heck, my last 2 Mopar filters both fell apart like this. I am sure the spring did its job by keeping it all good and tight together though.

Good to see it with straight pleats too.

yup the same as motorcraft pretty much they are both made by purolater and that is not my favorite company by any means these days with all the reported quality issues.

The oil used was Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w20. The Jeep currently has about 45k miles on it, most of it highway.

The end cap falling off is something I saw on a Bosch D+ filter I cut open a year or two ago. I don't think it hurt anything although it doesn't really make me confident in the construction. My local WalMart doesn't carry Mopar filters anymore, and the Advance Auto only carries the MO-090 and the Cummins Mopar filter. That means I would have to go to the dealer to get this same filter, so I'd rather just go to Napa down the road and get a better Wix made filter.

As mentioned by the informed, as long as the leaf spring was doing it job the endcap falling off on dissection would be no factor in filter function.

Mopar similar to Motorcraft except uses a nitrile adbv as opposed to silicone.

Looks like it got the job done.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The oil used was Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w20. The Jeep currently has about 45k miles on it, most of it highway.

The end cap falling off is something I saw on a Bosch D+ filter I cut open a year or two ago. I don't think it hurt anything although it doesn't really make me confident in the construction. My local WalMart doesn't carry Mopar filters anymore, and the Advance Auto only carries the MO-090 and the Cummins Mopar filter. That means I would have to go to the dealer to get this same filter, so I'd rather just go to Napa down the road and get a better Wix made filter.

This should be the equivalent of the MC 820s. Theoretically, it'll be the same filter except with a silicone ADBV. WM should carry it too for a little under $4.

I cut open the 820s from my father's Ford and my Mo-090 from my Jeep and could hardly tell a difference internally.

Yup, the FL820s is nearly identical to the MO-899, but with a silicone ADBV. They do carry the FL820s at WalMart, but after cutting open a few Motorcrafts with torn media (FL-910s filters), and the Mopar filter not being available anywhere near me except the dealer, I'll spend the $2 more for the Wix. I will be going by the oil life monitor from now on and using synthetic, so it will only need to be changed every 10,000 miles or so.

What amazed me was this Hemi engine took 7.5 quarts of oil. I thought the 6 quart sump on my 4.0L was a lot.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Filter looks great, endcaps popping off has become more common with Motorcrafts and Mopars the last few years. But they otherwise hold up very well.

I've never understood how those who get hysterical over Fram's fiber endcap just yawn when the metal ones pop off.

Neither scenario is an issue IMO.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

Haha yes, I have more respect for Fram's fiber end caps after seeing some metal end caps pop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back