Recommendations for used Fiat 500 1.4 n/a.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

So picked myself up a 3.5 year old Fiat 500 (non-Abarth and not turbocharged) for quite a steal. 2012 w/57k miles and manual trans.

As you may or may not be aware the Multi-Air valvetrain is an engineering feat and has not been around long after 10+ years of development. Basically the intake cam drives a small hydraulic chamber which then hydraulically opens/closes the intake valves through an electronic solenoid. Infinitely adjustable intake valve events, its ingenious since the electrical architecture of cars won't be allowing electric valve operation for some time still. Otherwise far more complicated than cam operated valves.

So I got a killer deal, however the maintenance history is questionable. Based on CarFax it was serviced at Fiat dealerships. 1st owner drove from 0-4,877 miles over the course of 1.5 years and it appears it was not serviced at all during that time. Oil was changed at trade in at 4,877, then by the 2nd owner @ 11,933, 18,807, 33,370 and just now before I bought it at 57,177. Of course I know this may not include any dealerships/shops that don't report to CarFax however the 18.8 to 33.3 to 57.1 stretches concern me. Luckily the dealership left all the paperwork of the prior 2 owners in the owners manual booklet and the 1st owner was an older dr. in Florida and the 2nd was a 65+ musician here in Atlanta so I am convinced the car was cared for.

I managed a cool 44 MPG on a 31 mile drive from the dealership to my job and this was at speeds ranging from 65-75 MPH with some stop and go mixed in on a 90/10 hwy/city mix. I am averaging the EPA estimates of 30 MPG city with my 100% city commute which is a 15 minute 3 mile commute on all surface streets.

I am not too terribly concerned about the engine about to sludge itself to death based on the above but I want to do what I can to clean it up as this car needs to last me a bit, especially because of the complicated Multi-Air valvetrain.

Any recommendations?

So far the FIAT 1.4 engine is proving to be a fairly clean engine internally, but if you are worried about sludge, pop off the valve cover and have a look, before you start spending money on things that you might not need to spend money on.

The engine used any 5W30 engine oil you can get your hands on, so you can choose whatever you like. Oil changes are 8k intervals, but you can do whatever you want, since it is out of the original warranty period now (4 years/50k).

BC.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
What specification is called for in the manual?

Perhaps one or two short runs of something that meets it for peace of mind

Congrats on the new ride

Think it requires the current Chrysler spec 5W-30 non-synthetic, pretty sure any Chrylser/Dodge/Jeep/Fiat location is using Pennzoil 5W-30/5W-20 as service fill but have not been one to yet. Think I may go synthetic for the extra $20 just for peace of mind.

Thanks! It a hoot to drive to say the least, most tossable car I have ever driven.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
So far the FIAT 1.4 engine is proving to be a fairly clean engine internally, but if you are worried about sludge, pop off the valve cover and have a look, before you start spending money on things that you might not need to spend money on.

The engine used any 5W30 engine oil you can get your hands on, so you can choose whatever you like. Oil changes are 8k intervals, but you can do whatever you want, since it is out of the original warranty period now (4 years/50k).

BC.

I looked at the dipstick and what I could see in the fill hole, all completely spotless so presuming it was well cared for. [censored] inside the fill hole the aluminum bits I could see looked like they just came off the machine,

May be overly paranoid but switching him to synthetic come first oil change. Gearbox will be switched to syn soon as well. This car is an absolute gem to be preserved!

Originally Posted By: pezzy669

BC.

I looked at the dipstick and what I could see in the fill hole, all completely spotless so presuming it was well cared for. [censored] inside the fill hole the aluminum bits I could see looked like they just came off the machine,

May be overly paranoid but switching him to synthetic come first oil change. Gearbox will be switched to syn soon as well. This car is an absolute gem to be preserved!

I completely understand your love of the car.
My wife bought a 2012 Sport brand new back in 2011, and then traded that in for an Abarth when they became available in 2012.

For the engine, I would recommend just about any synthetic that's on sale, at your local auto parts store, and an oil filter from the dealer. Heck, you could wait until your dealership is offering a oil service special (usually 4 oil changes for the price of 3, or something similar), and let them do the work.

We did that for her Abarth, since the deal was cheaper than I can buy the oil and filter for myself, combined with my not needing to crawl on the ground twice a year, while the car is still in its warranty period.

BC.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Out of warranty? If so M1 0w40 and sleep well. Have fun with your 500, they are great.

Yeah out of warranty but purchased extended 3/36 warranty for peace of mind so may stick with Fiat/Chrysler recommended 5W-30, what is the weight of choice for 500 in the EU and do you guys have the 1.4 MultiAir?

Originally Posted By: pezzy669

BC.

I completely understand your love of the car.
My wife bought a 2012 Sport brand new back in 2011, and then traded that in for an Abarth when they became available in 2012.

For the engine, I would recommend just about any synthetic that's on sale, at your local auto parts store, and an oil filter from the dealer. Heck, you could wait until your dealership is offering a oil service special (usually 4 oil changes for the price of 3, or something similar), and let them do the work.

We did that for her Abarth, since the deal was cheaper than I can buy the oil and filter for myself, combined with my not needing to crawl on the ground twice a year, while the car is still in its warranty period.

BC.

I found that 4 for 3 coupon once but can't locate it again to save my life! May have been on a dealership site or the ChryCo site but I just can't track it down, if you find it please PM me.

Glad you understand the love of the car. While it's not the most impressive/luxurious/sportiest thing to grace the roads it sure makes for a darn good entry level car that can move out of its own way nicely, be sexy and also put a smile on it's owners face. Maybe an Abarth will be reality for me a few years down the road.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Out of warranty? If so M1 0w40 and sleep well. Have fun with your 500, they are great.

40wt for a 1.4 Na I4?

My Aspire had a 1.3 and i used 10w30 (pre BITOG) before I went to the dealer to replace the stock 8 year old battery, since it did so well. The parts counter was nice and I asked for an oil change and saw 15w40 and 5w20, and gave the guy a 'wha, huh' look since all ive ever used was 30 weights and went with the Motorcraft 20wt and in the heat of summer that little engine ran like a top. It seemed to have more guts, sounded better and churned smoother. Then I come here and see it was ok, they back specced it for twenty weight.

What Fiat use in Europe is ACEA C3 oils in this engine with additional FIAT S2 specification. This spec main requirement is HT-HS of minimum 3.5 so I wouldn't use 'any synthetic' since most of them in USA do not meet this basic requirement.
Anyway, OP can use whatever he wants, it's his car after all.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back