New Denso TT Iridium spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://densott.com/

New spark plug design with Iridium tip + fine wire platinum ground electrode. AFAIK, NGK doesn't produce this design yet for mass market use, but they do mention it as the next evolution of spark plug design here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/dyk_evolution_plugs.pdf

The theory is that by making both electrodes as thin as possible, it reduces the quenching effect which yields faster spark growth. The plugs themselves don't cost any more than regular Iridium designs, but does this design actually help?

What do you guys think?

It's easy to see how thinner electrodes might help, IMO. The arguments Denso makes seem plausible. The only question I have is whether there's a significant difference in practice.

The potential problem with a super-thin tip is that it doesn't last as long. Whereas a normal-sized electrode can last basically forever if it's iridium (unless fouled or something), a super-thin iridium electrode might not last any longer than, say, a normal platinum electrode. But if Denso's claim of 100k+ miles is any indication, maybe the TT lasts long enough.

So, in summary: Seems plausible, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

AA has been selling the Denso platinum TT for years as their lowest priced precious metal plug. They were always on sale for $1.99

Might be just the thing for cars with the "Lost Spark" system. Both electrodes are Noble metals.

Longevity isn't really an issue for most 4 cylinder engines since the plugs are so easy to access anyways. I only care about getting the best combustion possible which this design delivers in theory.

Problem is that since it's so new, there doesn't seem to be any reviews of it anywhere and it's not like I have access to a dyno to verify Denso's claims. Can't decide if I should give the TT a try or stick with NGK IX Iridiums (basically same price).

I got a box of 'em for my 2011 ranger - which has waste spark ignition problems - but the plug boots were roasted onto the OE plug terminals. If anybody has a Ford ranger with the 2.3 Mazda DOHC motor, I got some of these plugs
smile.gif
Waste spark EJ253 Subaru would benefit too.

If you have a dual ended coil (not COP) these SHOULD lower misfire count drastically.

These are the OEM plugs on my 2010 Hyundai Genesis coupe 2L turbo. They are an excellent plug as long as you don't need to go colder as they did not use to have a colder one.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
These are the OEM plugs on my 2010 Hyundai Genesis coupe 2L turbo. They are an excellent plug as long as you don't need to go colder as they did not use to have a colder one.

I just googled the plugs for your car and they spec'd Denso Long Life Iridiums which is surprising because all the LL iridium plugs I've seen were single fine tipped just like the NGK iridiums. For your particular application though, they are dual tipped. I guess Denso has been making this iridium design for a while but only recently started producing dual tipped iridium SKUs that fit older cars.

For the longest, the only plug that showed up online at AA for my Subaru was the Denso FXE22HR11 for $11.99 and I was going to get them when I reached 60K. When I went to order them last week, the Denso IXEH22TT Iridium TT for $7.99 had been added so I got these instead. I can feel the difference in the newness. Feels great after only 400+ miles though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HKPolice

New spark plug design with Iridium tip + fine wire platinum ground electrode.

not exactly "new" as they came OEM on my 2006 RAV4, LOL.

but they are still the best spark plug available for street use. and cheap too. because of the small fuel saving, common OEM plug.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

but they are still the best spark plug available for street use. and cheap too. because of the small fuel saving, common OEM plug.

Nope, your car came with the normal Long life Iridium plugs with a single fine tipped electrode: http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=11131

This design has DUAL fine tipped electrodes and only came OEM in some turbo/DI cars in the last few years. Only in the last few months has Denso started releasing this Iridium TT design for older cars that didn't have this design from the factory. The Platinum TT design is also older and different because the electrodes are not as fine.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Nope, your car came with the normal Long life Iridium plugs with a single fine tipped electrode: http://www.densoproducts.com/product.aspx?zpid=11131

This design has DUAL fine tipped electrodes and only came OEM in some turbo/DI cars in the last few years. Only in the last few months has Denso started releasing this Iridium TT design for older cars that didn't have this design from the factory. The Platinum TT design is also older and different because the electrodes are not as fine.

dude, you don't know what you are talking about and you comments are insulting. how do you know what my car came with?
i saw the plugs with my own eyes and even took pictures. you can also research the OEM plugs in 2006 RAV4 V6.

here are my plugs when I checked them at 40,000 miles:

friendly_jacek-1645-picture32498-spark-plugs-40-000-miles.jpg

more pictures from other folks with 3 gen RAV4 who replaced them at 120,000 miles (this the specified replacement interval): http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-m...iles-pic-3.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back