ATV engine temp. How hot is too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 kawasaki Mojave. It is powered by a water cooled 250cc, dohc engine that has 11:1 compression stock.

It really scoots for a small 4wheeler!

It comes from the factory with a 170 degree t-stat and an 11 lb radiator cap. It also has a very small electric engine cooling fan that according to the repair manual is supposed to come on at 195 degrees. It does come on......But not often.

The quad does not have any kind of temp guage or light.

I found some stickers at a tractor repair place that record engine temps. So I get a few.

I stuck one on the hot side of the radiator and went for a ride. BTW: It was 113 degrees outside temp when I left at 10:30 this morning!

I figured a great day to test a cooling system.

The sticker covers 180-230deg in 10 degree increments. I rode almost 15 miles non stop, the 180 square never turned black. indicating that the engine was below that temp.

I had to stop at a hwy and waited several minutes for a break in traffic so I could cross. During this wait the 180 square turned black, indicating that I had hit 180 while waiting.

Later on I had to do a 50 point turn around in a canyon. I watched the 190 square turn black, then the 200 square. Indicating that I had hit 200deg.

The rest of the ride was uneventfull except for a ride across a dry lake that had me overheating but not the quad.

How hot is too hot for a small engine that has an aluminum head with an aluminum cylinder that has a pressed in steel liner?

I was not worried at 200 degrees, I figure this is well within the engines operating range. I was thinking that if the 230 square turns to black I should get the thing moving fast enough to get air through the radiator to cool it off.

Whats everyone else think?

As long as there is coolant in the system with a 50% solution and a 11 psi cap it won't boil off til north of 250F. I wouldn't worry until then. Well you might worry and probably so would I but the reality of the situation you won't damage the engine while there is a full cooloant system. This is strictly an opinion though as I am really not familiar with this engine.

The engine will be 170' until the rad temp breaks that point then the engine heat will go up in sync with the rad. So until you hit that traffic the thermostat was only half-open and the motor was 170. Did you ever get the fan to come on with the stickers installed? Maybe stick a sticker on the engine block itself and see how that relates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back