Oil coolers really nessessary on turbo engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
You turbo charged a Yugo? How did that work out for you?

I'd like to know how that worked too. Lol

When I was stationed at McGuire AFB, NJ in 1993, a civilian lady at my job had a yellow one. OMG, that car was a P.O.S! The engine was gross. I remember oil being everywhere. It always had trouble starting in the afternoon for some reason. When it did, it would smoke up the entire parking lot.

Ha,Ha, I had a YUGO back in the 80's and it was a good little car, true it was like driving in a big coffee can but I ran her hard as she was my work car, loved being at the stop light next to Nissan or Toyota and egging them on to the next stop light, she would take them thru first and second but lose out on the top end, car never gave me any trouble, only had to change the fuel pump the few years I had her, sold her to a young lady who needed a car, wish I would have kept it
19.gif

Auto makers choose to use an oil cooler because they know when the engine oil will exceed an ideal temperature. Once you make significant changes to a car, only you can determine what the oil temperature will be, and therefore know if you need oil cooling.

Another factor is if the turbo is only cooled by oil, or if it is also cooled by engine coolant. Having it cooled by antifreeze is a huge advantage, and it even prevented engine sludge in some cars.

I think a thermostatically controlled oil cooler should be standard in every hi-po and hard duty engine built.
The difference it made on my harley was noticeable,both my trucks gave one and I've heard it mentioned often that it's one of the reasons Chev engines last as long as they do.
And I like the idea of using thinner oil but keeping it cool enough and thereby thick enough for high performance use is difficult. Thermostatically controlled oil cooler can make it possible.

The oil coolers I use are 140,000 BTU units from Setrab. I've never seen my Charger break 200 on the gauge. Of course, she has a lot of oil (5 gallons, dry sump), and is forced by a 5 liter blower.

I think the importance of oil coolers is highly underrated. This is a cooling system that actually contacts the moving parts, in between where they move. I'm always going to make sure it's pulling out as much heat as it can without over cooling the oil.

My Caprice came with quite a large oil cooler that goes to the driver's side radiator tank, which is very nice.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The oil coolers I use are 140,000 BTU units from Setrab. I've never seen my Charger break 200 on the gauge. Of course, she has a lot of oil (5 gallons, dry sump), and is forced by a 5 liter blower.

I think the importance of oil coolers is highly underrated. This is a cooling system that actually contacts the moving parts, in between where they move. I'm always going to make sure it's pulling out as much heat as it can without over cooling the oil.

My Caprice came with quite a large oil cooler that goes to the driver's side radiator tank, which is very nice.

I agree that an oil coolers importance is under rated. I've read papers that state the oil is responsible for up to 70% of the cooling of a modern engine.
They put radiators to cool the water that dissipates less heat than the oil yet it's its an afterthought to install an oil cooler b

Both my Chevy trucks have one. My charger has one from what I've been told however I haven't seen it. I can say that when I'm running the car hard and the oil temp hits 270f if I get out of the pedal and leave it in 5th the oil temp drops very fast. Before installing the oil cooler on my harley the oil wouldn't temps took a while to drop.

Clevy it would surprise me if the Charger 5.7 came with an oil cooler. Someone else may have installed one?

I like the coolant based heat exchangers as they warm the oil when it is cold and cool it when it gets too hot. All our fleet trucks have one and my new Ram has one on both the engine and the transmission. I do NOT like coolant and oil being pumped all over the place, but they do seem quite reliable these days.

Our fleet engines tend to last a really long time, so it may have something to do with longevity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back