Castrol Edge 5 qt jugs for $21.66 at Wally World

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen it on the shelf at Walmart for 21.66, but I just figured it wasn't a great oil and skipped over it. I want to say I read on here that it's nothing special...low boron...low moly, etc, but if that isn't the case I'd like to know because I can buy it cheap.

I've seen the quaker state at the same price and would rather go with that.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Heres a PQIA test of black bottle Edge. This is the black bottle SN just prior to the reformulation to the current offering, but it definitely shows that Castrol takes black bottle Edge seriously IMO with a TBN of 11. If anything the addition of Ti shows Castrol pushing black bottle Edge up further as it was previously only offered in Gold bottle, their highest tier product.

Edge PQIA

Castrol is not the king on BITOG but it seems to be extremely popular with the oil buying masses as it sure flies off the shelves around here. I have used a LOT of Castrol products over the years and have always been satisfied.

I want to say the reformulation has changed the ingredients significantly. I'm not a scientist, so I don't know if that's good or bad, but the boron and moly seem to be missing in the new formula and the tbn is lower.

I can't find the Castrol 0w40 option on walmart.com website, now that I think of it I can't see Mobil 0w40 either. Last time I was in a USA Walmart a few weeks ago all Castrol was $21.xx except the 0w40 which was $25.xx

I don't think I've seen a VOA/UOA on the newest stuff with Ti, if you've got a link please post it.

I ran the older Gold bottle Edge with Ti before black bottle had it and I thought that stuff was fantastic, loved the way it ran.

Oh thanks, I may have seen that in the past. Those are the "Euro" oils yes they have changed from previous versions of those although TBNS are still over 10. I wonder what on the shelf at Wally's current 5w30 black bottle looks like?

It's unfortunate but went to WM to grab the 5 quart jug of Castrol 5W30 Synthetic and price has increased to $25.XX. Left empty handed, I'll wait to Castrol, Mobil 1 or RP go on sale/roll back to stock up my garage again.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Get it before it's gone!!!

It's now 'gone' at my local WM.

I went there yesterday to get some 0w40.. They didn't carry that flavor and the rollback stickers were gone. For lack of better terms, I am glad to see it wasn't just my region. It looks like M1 will be easier to find for me.

To those of you wanting Castrol (and have an Oreillys near you) they have a jug plus a WIX for $35 plus they'll send you a $10 gift card AMIR.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Have not found the 5w30 at any local WM for a while now...

Originally Posted By: pbm

Have not found the 5w30 at any local WM for a while now...

My local WM has plenty of Edge in all weights but it's back to $25.XX for the 5 qt. jug.....$21.66 is what's 'gone'....

One thing that annoys me is that my nearest Wal-Mart has no Castrol 0w40, but ones far from my home do have Castrol 0w40.

It is cheaper for me to wait for Advance or Autozone to have a "Buy 5 quarts and get a filter" sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back