Shell or Castrol... what's in the BMW bottle now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the BMW switchover from Castrol to Shell going to happen?

I wonder how quickly Shell will be incorporated into the local BMW dealer's inventory.

Does Shell currently have bulk Euro (Helix) 5W-30 here in the US?

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Call a parts person at a BMW dealership.

Thanks Captain Obvious but...

1) they are closed today

2) you give the parts guys too much credit

I think your guess is as good as anyone's on this one. Someone asked a similar question just recently and we didn't get very far with this.

I appreciate that Pete.

I should have PM'ed you instead of posting.

I have an dealer oil change coming up and was just wondering.

Would the Pennzoil Ultra Euro formula be comparable to the Shell Helix? It would be a 40 weight though.

I would imagine it would be a chance of getting either. If they haven't gotten new stock yet or some other issues. When was Shell suppose to officially take over the contract? I know it was announced in December, but makes me wonder when they actually start putting it in the BMW bottles.

Friend of mine just bought literally 100% of a local dealership's stock of Castrol TWS. He drove up in a car with a big trunk and just filled it.

The Shell replacement for TWS is already trickling through the system. It's called M TwinPower Turbo 10w-60 -- which is interesting, because the list of approvals on the label includes exactly zero turbocharged M cars...

Without the BMW connection in the US, Castrol may revamp their commercial offerings to include both the LL-01 5W-30 and 10W-60 now available only at BMW dealerships.

That would be some payback for both BMW and Shell and be great for Castrol's current BMW customers.

I have been wondering this myself. I just had my last BMW dealer oil change, and the technician put the following part number for the oil: 83 21 2 405 085 this seems to still be the old 5W-30.

It would be good if we got something better suited to these hot running N engines, like a xW-40, but I doubt that will happen because of CAFE.

Maybe check the MSDS sheet of the oils if there is a new one MSDS of late with BMW certifications this will have been updated as a necessity of law. Possible indication that the changeover has occurred for that oil.

Last edited:
BMW Motorad recently changed suppliers from Spectro to Castrol, so the BMW hasn't completely abandoned Castrol. The owners manual has always had the Castrol logo.

C6, funny, parts guys say the same thing about many car owners.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Let's be clear on this:

Shell will be supplying the BMW-branded oil from now on.
BMW recommend BMW oils.
Any individual dealer can use BMW oils or choose to use Shell, Castrol or whoever.
The move to Shell for OE oils makes no change to the factory-fill supplies.

It'll obviously take some time for the Castrol that is still in the supply chain to be used up

I'd imagine a face lifted bottle and/or label are on the way if it is in BMW branded bottles which would be a good indicator.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
I'd imagine a face lifted bottle and/or label are on the way if it is in BMW branded bottles which would be a good indicator.

Why would they even need to redesign the bottle/label?

Originally Posted By: Spooled

C6, funny, parts guys say the same thing about many car owners.
smile.gif

Plenty of room for dummies on either side of the parts counter.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

They have a picture of a very old engine on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

They have a picture of a very old engine on the bottle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back