Tire rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there is abnormal wear, and unless it is for some reason desirable to always buy and mount 4 new tires, I see no reason to rotate the tires. If there is abnormal wear, I would rather find and correct the cause. Rotating the tires affects handling.

hotwheels

Rotate them every year maybe? If your vehicle is out of alignment then you might want to get that fixed because it can cause abnormal tire wear. It is a good thing to rotate your tires some time though. Unless your vehicle is AWD you wouldn't really worry about it. It makes a difference if you have a RWD car or a FWD car. FWD cars will wear out the front ones first before the back. RWD cars will wear out the rear ones first before the front ones. If FWD switch the rear to the back in an X pattern. If RWD go from the rear to the front in an X pattern if the tires are not directional if they are just have the tires on the same side just switch if front or back.

Every oil service or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first.

The tires should be removed at each oil service anyway - you need to do so in order to perform a proper brake inspection.

Last edited:
I've always gone with the every other oil change route. it's fairly easy to remember, and since I only drive 8-10k mi/yr, and do 5k mi/6mo oci's I just end up rotating them around the October oil change.(this past fall I just took it to a local discount tire while i was on vacation. they will rotate tires for free. even if you didn't buy the tires from them)

Standard is 5K to 8K. But your owners manual ought to have a value in it.

And the reason to rotate is to even out the wear rate and the wear pattern, as well as prevent irregular wear from becoming so bad you have to replace the tire early.

I have done both rotate tire every 5,000 miles and not rotate at all. Not much difference if the car is in alignment. However if there is excess wear then rotating does seem to spread the wear and make them last a little longer.

I've always thought that tires wear more at the beginning than at the end of their tread life, and so I rotated like oil, more at the very start (5k miles) than at the end (8k miles or so)...but....

...on Kitacam, the driver's front tire wears more (but evenly) than the passenger's front, so that tire gets my attention (rotation in a 5-tire rotation regimen) more than the others...

Last edited:
Hello, I rotate my tires at every oil change-7,500 miles.
1) I would like to know how tire rotation effects anything badly (as hotwheels said).
2) I have a pal who condemned tire rotations but he just babbled a stream of unsure words.
3) It's a FACT that the shoulders of front tires wear as they scuff into turns-it's unavoidable. I see this ALONE as argument enough for tire rotation. My tires are "even Steven" all across the tread-no worn shoulders.

4) A personal note: I added the unused, new spare to my sister's rotation pattern (making it a 5 tire rotation) and staved off a tire purchase before she sold the vehicle.

I'd love to know how tire rotation is bad. Kira

Fwd wears different than RWD. And some cars wear tires more funny than others. Jettas like to feather rear tires due to toe in.

I like 5k rotations, easy to remember and do. but on my truck I might do 10k instead, as I think it is more gentle in tires.

As stated above, I often see the fronts wear different from the rears. The difference is greater with FWD.

Timely rotation allows the tires to wear down all at once, instead of having to buy only two tires at a time.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I've always thought that tires wear more at the beginning than at the end of their tread life, ...

Hmmm, I thought it was the other way around. Fresh new rubber is more supple (and can flex better on the road to resist wear) while older tires are more rigid and scuff more when in use. Now, I wonder which of us is right?

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I've always thought that tires wear more at the beginning than at the end of their tread life, ...

Hmmm, I thought it was the other way around. Fresh new rubber is more supple (and can flex better on the road to resist wear) while older tires are more rigid and scuff more when in use. Now, I wonder which of us is right?

It's probably a little bit of both. Flexing also creates heat. Harder rubber resists flexing, but also may not give. The compound probably matters. Silica is added to tires for various reasons, including improved flexibility at cold temps, but it's also known to improve treadwear.

Still - softer rubber like on winter tires is notorious for wearing quickly.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
5,000 for mostly city driving. 7,500 for mixed driving. 10,000 for highway only driving.

The Michelin treadwear warranty says that to keep their warranty in force, rotations should be between 6000 and 7500 miles.

America's Tire sends out courtesy messages to rotate after they estimate the customer has gone 5000 miles since the last rotation or installation.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
As stated above, I often see the fronts wear different from the rears. The difference is greater with FWD.

Timely rotation allows the tires to wear down all at once, instead of having to buy only two tires at a time.

I agree.

Buying 4 tires at a time is better for these reasons:

* Different brand / style if want to
* Rebate is usually for buying 4 tires at once
* All tires are same brand / style is better in performance/handling.

In looking at the 2010 Yaris owners manual online I see that they recommend rotating the tires every 5K but only front to rear, no crossover.

When you do either front to rear cross or rear to front cross but not both, after 4 rotations all tires will be back at the original location. I do front to rear cross for all my cars, regardless front or rear wheel drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back