New Penrite 0w-40 fill PAO + ESTER oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supercity
Penrite have an approved (official) 229.5 / LL01 lube for the mass market.

This product will be $20-30 more per jug and is directed towards the enthusiast or competition market to compete with the likes of Redline and Amsoil. I suspect the HTHS is rather high and for one does not likely meet he fuel efficiency requirements of 229.5 which are significantly higher than 229.3.

I suspect a prime application for this oil will be Ford and FPV 6 cylinder turbos where a 15w40 is recommended.

Could be different market (though Redline 0w40 is recommended for MB 229.5).
However I was referring to MB 229.5 deposit requirements as well as NOACK.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Anyway how was the pour point deduced as being higher than 60 deg C (76 def F) when it is not stated anywhere.

US ingenuity at work here ??

That's a terrible pour point and I for one will not be using it...

I use Shell HX7 10w-40 that pours at -45'C!!
13.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Copied link from the MB 229.5 thread.

Found another one based on that. Has the 2012 revised Mercedes specs:

http://www.lubritecinc.com/PDF/MB_Spec_EO_Service_Oils_2012.1.pdf

IMO Noack for 229.3 is 13% compared to 229.5 10% limit 2/5 of 1/8 of 1/3 syndrome.

Point is?

3% in Noack difference between 229.3 and 229.5 to small to moan and groan about makes zip or NO difference IMO.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Anyway how was the pour point deduced as being higher than 60 deg C (76 def F) when it is not stated anywhere.

US ingenuity at work here ??

That's a terrible pour point and I for one will not be using it...

I use Shell HX7 10w-40 that pours at -45'C!!
13.gif

Should have read pour point higher than -60 deg C. Left off the minus sign.

From the Valvoline Australian Site the specs very similar to Penrite. Both manufacturer's can't be both getting it wrong.
The specs are slightly different from European Website.

SynPower 0W-40 is formulated with high quality synthetic base oils, enhanced with the most advanced additive system available to achieve extended drains in selected vehicles. SynPower 0W-40 provides the ultimate in protection while fulfilling the requirements of leading European car manufacturers Mercedes Benz, BMW and VW.

Synpower 0W-40
Sizes: 5L, 208L
Approvals and Performance
API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, Meets requirements of: BMW LL-98, MB 229.3, 229.1, VW 502.00, 505.00, Porsche.

There is no BMW LL-01 or MB 229.5.

It does have ACEA B4.

It does not have API SN.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this thread virginoil, there are a lot of rude and poorly justified comments here unfortunately.

I for one am quite interested in this oil. Penrite do tend to run a bit high in their viscosity values for a given SAE weight, but personally I think this new oil is actually closer to what it should be and thus a step in the right direction at least.

I like their generous ZDDP package (1240ppm Zinc).

If anyone is interested, the minimum HTHS value is 3.7cP on this particular oil (10tenths Premium 0w40) which is comparable to Mobil1 0w40. I contacted Penrite to get this.

I have had positive results using their 10tenths oils in the past, however I did have to blend two to get the correct viscosity. I found that blending based on HTHS values provided a more accurate performance match than trying to use cSt@40 static viscosity values - I understand my method may be non-linear but it worked for me. I did confirm the additive packages were the same for both oils before blending.

On this new 0w40 however, I think all the numbers are close enough to use it as-is which is very good to see. The static viscosities are roughly 5% higher than M1 but close enough that it should offer comparable performance.

I will report back after trying.

Originally Posted By: zaibatsu
Thanks for posting this thread virginoil, there are a lot of rude and poorly justified comments here unfortunately........

Poor comments happens from time and its one of these things sometimes that is dependent on the mood of this site has.

I am not sure why the anti against Penrite sometimes when there are other oils with similar specs are deemed acceptable by BITOG.

Looking forward to your report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back