Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

My 2006 B2300 is a giant rusting disaster underneath; really not impressed there. Like they planned to make it last 10 years.

That is all vehicles in CT though. Have you seen the stuff they spread on the roads? I've seen a few newer body style Chevy trucks (2008?) with rust bubbles around the rear wheel well. My dad's 2009 M-Benz GL450 was developing surface rust on some of the undercarriage before he traded it two years ago.

I actually saw a story on Channel 8 news this morning about how they are finding that since switching the content of the road salt 7 years ago, the brake lines on big rigs and state trucks are rusting out faster than ever before. It is also causing considerable damage to bridges. I'd rather just buy studded snows every year than have to deal with this [censored]. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling while I am driving to think about all the cars that surround me with rusting brake lines.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: CT8
Lots of made in China parts tags on the Fords that I have been looking at. A $55,000 F150 pick up with made in China tires .Really doesn't bother anybody.?

Got any pics? Last one I looked at had Goodyear's on it
21.gif

Within the past month, my employer bought two new Ford F150 trucks. Both of them had Hancook tires on them. As of today, I did not look at the origin of the tires.

Can you? I'm now interested.

I can confirm that a lot of F-150s seem to come with Hankook tires. I've seen them myself. It's not surprising they are made in China. The Kumhos that came on my 11' Focus were also made in China.

Originally Posted By: pb
Originally Posted By: buster
I think Ford is by far the best overall domestic brand with the most consistent and well balanced lineup. Thoughts? I've always been more of a Japanese car nut, and to me Ford is really doing a good job.

perhaps, but i've been envious of what mazda has done since breaking their ties.

How is that diesel coming along for Mazda?
whistle.gif

How much wrenching experience do you have? How many engines have you built? That's usually the metric I use for gauging how much of a car person somebody is, doesn't matter what they drive. IndyIan tracked a Neon for years. That makes him a car person in my books, far moreso than many that own "drivers cars" and the closest they've gotten to a racing event is taking corners fast on their way to work
smirk.gif

Hmmmm, credibility. What a concept!

But back OT Ford is doing a great job. If it sells then it is good! Period.

They have a substandard warranty IMO, but definitely make a great product. ALL the big domestics have issues with certain models, everybody has a dawg or two...

IMO, Ford will discontinue a part long before they should. Seems lately, I've purchased WAY too many parts from Green Sales. Anybody who knows Ford knows why Green Sales is in business.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

I can confirm that a lot of F-150s seem to come with Hankook tires. I've seen them myself. It's not surprising they are made in China. The Kumhos that came on my 11' Focus were also made in China.

Ewwwwwwww
sick.gif

It looks like it'd depend on the exact Hankook tire. I just looked up a 2015 F-150 2WD SuperCrew and in the 17" size, it comes with Hankook Dynapro HT RH12 made in Korea. A 2014 F-15 4WD with 235/75R17 tires comes with Hankook Dynapro AT RF08 made in Korea.

According to Tire Rack, these are the only Hankook light truck tires made in China:

Dynapro AS RH03 in 235/70R17
Dynapro HP RA23 in P225/70R16

I'm not sure any of those actually come on F-150s, but maybe. If so, it'd be a base model with the smallest tires available. Not that that makes it any better, but I don't think $55,000 F-150s are coming with Chinese tires (a claim made earlier in this thread).

Originally Posted By: horse123
Ford makes a nice FLEET car, or on a similar note, one for people who don't care about the car feeling nice or riding comfortably, people who just see cars as a utensil to get from A to B and back. I silently judge anyone that says/acts like they're a huge car person and then says they own a Ford. Cheap interior, cheap exterior, hard (and probably cheap) as a rock suspension. Quite reliable engines as far as American companies go, but ecoboost is sure trying its hardest to ruin that.

Well, I own a Ford. And I'm a car person. And our Expedition is wonderful to drive on 18hr journeys with the kids. But hey, you go ahead and silently judge away. After all, I think a statement like that says more about you than it does about the person you see fit to judge based solely on the brand of vehicle they drive.

How much wrenching experience do you have? How many engines have you built? That's usually the metric I use for gauging how much of a car person somebody is, doesn't matter what they drive. IndyIan tracked a Neon for years. That makes him a car person in my books, far moreso than many that own "drivers cars" and the closest they've gotten to a racing event is taking corners fast on their way to work
smirk.gif

And people like you are the other half of the reason I hate Ford.

If you include the Jaguars I've bought while they owned the company, I've bought more new Ford cars, by far, than any other manufacturer.

They no longer make anything I would be interested in even driving by a lot to look at, much less buy. No rear wheel drive anything except the Mustang and the new GT40, afaik. Lincoln is a joke and an embarassment. I do not see any Fords in my future. If they had brought in some of the Australian cars, like GM did with Holden, there might be more Fords in my fleet now, instead of the lone Expedition that gets used once or twice a year. But they didn't, so there isn't. GM got those dollars.

Domestically, Ford is not even in the same league with GM and Chrysler, imo.

Well, I own a Ford. And I'm a car person. And our Expedition is wonderful to drive on 18hr journeys with the kids. But hey, you go ahead and silently judge away. After all, I think a statement like that says more about you than it does about the person you see fit to judge based solely on the brand of vehicle they drive.

smirk.gif

Wow.

I can't imagine OVERK1LL being any part of the reason anyone hates anything, unless I imagine some kind of Saturday morning cartoon bad guy whose entire existence centers on hating things for no clear reason.

Ford makes a nice FLEET car, or on a similar note, one for people who don't care about the car feeling nice or riding comfortably, people who just see cars as a utensil to get from A to B and back. I silently judge anyone that says/acts like they're a huge car person and then says they own a Ford. Cheap interior, cheap exterior, hard (and probably cheap) as a rock suspension. Quite reliable engines as far as American companies go, but ecoboost is sure trying its hardest to ruin that.

smirk.gif

X2. Buying a certain brand/type of car does not make you a car person.

smirk.gif

Because we call you on being a self-righteous brand bigot? Somebody so high on himself that he feels he is capable of judging how much of a "car person" somebody is simply by observing the brand of vehicle they drive? Bravo!

This, and your post in the "what car you wouldn't drive if it was free" thread personify the irrational obsession with materialism, self image and brand identity; that a person is judged not by their ability or strength of character, but by the shoes they wear or the car they drive.

As I said, these sort of statements speak more to the shallow nature of your character than they do of the people you seemingly feel fit to judge based solely on their material possessions.

I dunno about that.

First, Ford's lineup lacks a few things like a sub compact SUV and a mid-sized pickup

Second, some Ford models are based on ancient architecture and are really not competitive: Taurus, Explorer and Edge come to mind. Compare the Taurus to the Impala, for instance.

Third, Ford has tried to throw a lot of new technology into the mix in a short period of time with mixed results. The unsorted/underdeveloped/under engineered DCT used on the Focus/Fiesta, the stalling, buggy MyFordTouch and the whole EcoBoost engine experiment (stay tuned, but let's see how this works with 10,000 mile OCIs on bulk conventional oil) are examples.

Finally, while Ford deserves tons of credit for avoiding federal bailout money, there is something just a little disingenuous about its current offerings. For example, is anyone getting the advertised fuel economy benefit from the EcoBoost engines? Does anyone realize that the Escape roof rack has a load limit of 100 pounds (45 pound with a sunroof) - cyclists, kayak/canoe owners, cargo box users look elsewhere. And has anyone noticed that while the front door panels are padded on top the rears are hard plastic - expecting no one will notice I guess. There are other examples, no doubt.

Not sure which domestic maker is my favorite at the moment (and I acknowledge that Ford has a great truck lineup and the Mustang is iconic) but after my 2012 Focus experience my next new car won't be a Ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I don't know about that. I like my 3 yr old ford just fine, but it sure seems like Chrysler is a hard charger.

I like the vibe I get from Ford; it seems obviously run by highly opinionated engineers---for better or for worse.

I certainly wouldn't call them consistent. The flex is fairly bizarre. As far as the tires go hankook tires don't bother me in the least. Ford had a decades long relationship with Firestone and Firestone had no problem whatsoever sticking Ford with defective tires.

Firestone did not stick ford with defective tires.

People bought truck based explorers then complained that the explorer rode hard. Instead of Ford saying "buy a unibody, coil sprung Grand Cherokee if you don't want a truck", Ford recommended deflating the tires to dangerous levels.

Then people would load their family in the Explorer, load it with luggage and hop on the highway with tires that were never set to anything higher than 26. Of course, they probably dropped down a bit and then you have a blowout.

NOT Firestone's fault. Yes, Firestone's tire didn't hold up as well as the Goodyear RT/S ... but the tires were deflated as directed by Ford.

IF the Firestones were run at the proper PSI for the load (fully loaded explorer), there would have been no issues.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

What size wheels did your 11 Focus have? Mine has 15'' and it came with Hankook Optimo. They weren't a bad tire ... I'd probably still have them on the car at 50K if it wasn't for the "control blade" rear suspension having asinine amounts of toe-out in the rear.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I dunno about that.

First, Ford's lineup lacks a few things like a sub compact SUV and a mid-sized pickup

Second, some Ford models are based on ancient architecture and are really not competitive: Taurus, Explorer and Edge come to mind. Compare the Taurus to the Impala, for instance.

Third, Ford has tried to throw a lot of new technology into the mix in a short period of time with mixed results. The unsorted/underdeveloped/under engineered DCT used on the Focus/Fiesta, the stalling, buggy MyFordTouch and the whole EcoBoost engine experiment (stay tuned, but let's see how this works with 10,000 mile OCIs on bulk conventional oil) are examples.

Finally, while Ford deserves tons of credit for avoiding federal bailout money, there is something just a little disingenuous about its current offerings. For example, is anyone getting the advertised fuel economy benefit from the EcoBoost engines? Does anyone realize that the Escape roof rack has a load limit of 100 pounds (45 pound with a sunroof) - cyclists, kayak/canoe owners, cargo box users look elsewhere. And has anyone noticed that while the front door panels are padded on top the rears are hard plastic - expecting no one will notice I guess. There are other examples, no doubt.

Not sure which domestic maker is my favorite at the moment (and I acknowledge that Ford has a great truck lineup and the Mustang is iconic) but after my 2012 Focus experience my next new car won't be a Ford.

My parents meet the EPA rating on "regular" and exceed it by quite a bit on 91. To the point that it is actually cheaper to run 91 in the car.

They have a 2.0L AWD Ecoboost Focuscape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
And has anyone noticed that while the front door panels are padded on top the rears are hard plastic - expecting no one will notice I guess. There are other examples, no doubt.

I rode in the back of a 08 or 09 Acura RDX that had hard plastic door panels except for the soft arm rest. There are no saints in this industry and every manufacturer is cost cuttng like no tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I don't know about that. I like my 3 yr old ford just fine, but it sure seems like Chrysler is a hard charger.

I like the vibe I get from Ford; it seems obviously run by highly opinionated engineers---for better or for worse.

I certainly wouldn't call them consistent. The flex is fairly bizarre. As far as the tires go hankook tires don't bother me in the least. Ford had a decades long relationship with Firestone and Firestone had no problem whatsoever sticking Ford with defective tires.

Firestone did not stick ford with defective tires.

People bought truck based explorers then complained that the explorer rode hard. Instead of Ford saying "buy a unibody, coil sprung Grand Cherokee if you don't want a truck", Ford recommended deflating the tires to dangerous levels.

Then people would load their family in the Explorer, load it with luggage and hop on the highway with tires that were never set to anything higher than 26. Of course, they probably dropped down a bit and then you have a blowout.

NOT Firestone's fault. Yes, Firestone's tire didn't hold up as well as the Goodyear RT/S ... but the tires were deflated as directed by Ford.

IF the Firestones were run at the proper PSI for the load (fully loaded explorer), there would have been no issues.

Firestone tires in the 70's had cord separation problems big time.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Firestone tires in the 70's had cord separation problems big time.

The Firestone 721, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back