Subaru/Excessive oil consumption/Problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Subaru solve the excessive oil consumption problem with the 2015 model year cars?I know the 2.5L engines were affected.Were the 2.0 turbo engines included also?I understand that new rings and/or engine blocks have been replaced.Thanks Joe

The oil consumption are the NA 2.0 and NA 2.5L engines.

Subaru claims to have solved it, but it is still happening.

I wonder if a hard break-in or using break-in oil would assist with this?

Originally Posted By: Miller88

IIRC, the factory fill oil is loaded to the hilt with moly; numbers you don't get running the regular Idemitsu 0w-20.

It would be interesting to find out what type of break in procedure people with consumption issues used on their vehicles. Did they try to take it easy at first, did they just drive it like normal, or did they abuse it. I wonder if there's any correlation between break-in and consumption issues.

In 2015 they give a 6,000 mile oil change interval instead of the 7500 miles of previous years. Some wags say it to make the oil consumption seem less.

Considering a 2015 or 2016 Subaru Forester went to the Subaru Forester forum and was surprised to see many people in cold northern climates and Canada complaining on the heater in the 2014. Claim it's very inadequate in cold weather. All seem to start in 2014, didn't see any 2015 mentioned.
It would be a deal breaker for me.

Originally Posted By: sicko
It would be interesting to find out what type of break in procedure people with consumption issues used on their vehicles. Did they try to take it easy at first, did they just drive it like normal, or did they abuse it. I wonder if there's any correlation between break-in and consumption issues.

Not sure the CVT tranny really allows a good old fashion seat the rings break-in ... unless you can hold a "gear..." . I know some CVTs have a sport or manual mode that might work, if the owner read up on how to use it.

Some say the issue is not the break-in, but the rings themselves. Subaru is being pressed hard by mileage requirements, and the rumour is they use(d) very low tension oil control rings to minimize friction. Low tension and oil consumption seem to be related.

Doubt we'll ever really know the truth.

Last edited:
From the reading I have done its mainly limited to manual transmission engines. Not the CVT.

Subaru initially replaced rings to solve the problem but then abandoned that and went to a short block to solve the problem. And it seems to.

So if a short block solves the problem, certainly new engines in new vehicles would have whatever was changed in the short block to fix it.

I am in the final process of buying a 2015 Forester with CVT.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
In 2015 they give a 6,000 mile oil change interval instead of the 7500 miles of previous years. Some wags say it to make the oil consumption seem less.

Considering a 2015 or 2016 Subaru Forester went to the Subaru Forester forum and was surprised to see many people in cold northern climates and Canada complaining on the heater in the 2014. Claim it's very inadequate in cold weather. All seem to start in 2014, didn't see any 2015 mentioned.
It would be a deal breaker for me.

The Forester 2.5i and the XT models are slow to warm up....the oil temp that is. Also, the driver's side duct near the feet does not direct the air toward the feet but higher up on the shin. People in very cold climates complain about cold feet.

As far as break in and oil consumption, I just followed Subaru's recommendation and have no oil consumption issue.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog

IIRC, the factory fill oil is loaded to the hilt with moly; numbers you don't get running the regular Idemitsu 0w-20.

Have you see a VOA or UOA on the factory fill?

The floor vent is very bad it doesn't hit your feet at all. I modified mine in 5 min and fixed that.

Also the car takes forever to heat up if you idle it.

If you just drive its decently warm within 5 miles. there is no coolant temp readout but the Oil was 145 at 4.5miles yesterday @18F and about 7min drive.

I had one of the ""HORRID"" 2011 models and it used 1qt /5000mi

My Dad's 2013 outback used 1qt/2000mi, they replaced the rings and it now uses 1qt /4000 miles or so.

Subaru's are a horizontal cylinder so as you can imagine its oil control rings are very important to be exactly right or you are going to use some oil. Its not like the engine will blow but its not a toyota that uses .5qt/10000mi either.
They are using very low tension rings and some other goodies like asymmetrical rods to reduce the friction from the previous engines by a massive percentage.

My 2015 so far used less than .5qt in 3000miles when I changed it. I'm at 1000mi on this change and its still perfectly full.

all 3 vehicles are MT's

Dont let the oil issue dissuade you. Worst case scenario they will replace your short block. If its not that bad.. adding a quart every 3000-4000miles isnt that big a deal. There is a low engine oil light now that comes on at 1 liter low. A 5qt jug of 0w20 is 21$ at walmart currently.

Also everyone with a problem posts it.. (seems like) but the other 95% with no problem you never hear from.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

Yes, somewhere. Not sure if it was here or nasioc.com.

Yes, somewhere. Not sure if it was here or nasioc.com.

So would it still be a good idea to change the factory fill at 1000 miles? I should be picking up my car on Sat. I was thinking of changing it at around 1000 miles give or take the winter weather.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Not sure the CVT tranny really allows a good old fashion seat the rings break-in ... unless you can hold a "gear..." . I know some CVTs have a sport or manual mode that might work, if the owner read up on how to use it.

I've only seen about half a dozen 2015 Forester owners with oil consumption issues, and they're all manuals. No-one really has a good theory as to why the manual would have problems if the CVT doesn't, but it would presumably be related to running at much higher RPMs.

I followed the owner's manual with our CVT Forester, and haven't burned any oil in 6,000km. In Canada, we do have fake gears and paddle shifters, which I do use occasionally for engine braking.

I do keep a couple of litres of oil in the back, just in case. There's an alcove that's the perfect size for them, no idea if that's coincidental or deliberate
smile.gif

Edit: oh, yeah, heating has been OK down to -20C. Haven't driven through anything colder, yet.

From the reading I have done its mainly limited to manual transmission engines. Not the CVT.

Subaru initially replaced rings to solve the problem but then abandoned that and went to a short block to solve the problem. And it seems to.

So if a short block solves the problem, certainly new engines in new vehicles would have whatever was changed in the short block to fix it.

I am in the final process of buying a 2015 Forester with CVT.
I'm curious, what's a "short block" consist of on a boxer?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

I'm curious, what's a "short block" consist of on a boxer?

Ha! Good point. They should call it a narrow block!

So would it still be a good idea to change the factory fill at 1000 miles? I should be picking up my car on Sat. I was thinking of changing it at around 1000 miles give or take the winter weather.

I'd give it 3000, personally.

2015 Subaru Suggested Maintenance
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2015.html

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

2015 Subaru Suggested Maintenance
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2015.html

It says 6000 for first oil change. Also says you can change it early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back