Accidentally poured some ATF into radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I wasn't wearing my thinking cap last night, and accidentally poured between a half ounce and 3/4 ounce of Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid into my 2006 Camry's radiator before realizing the mistake and stopping. Needless to say, I was horrified. Why did they have to make the Toyota Super Long Life Coolant roughly the same color as the ATF fluid: pink / red.

I meant to pour some ATF into the fill hole of the transmission because it leaks about 2 ounces a month from the ATF drain hole since my last d&f because I didn't use a brand new ATF drain hole gasket; I kept and used the old metal gasket. I will definitely replace the gasket with a new one this summer when I do my next ATF d&f.

Anyway, somewhere between one-half ounce and 3/4 ounce of T-IV ATF is in the radiator since last night. I purposefully have not started the car yet and am wondering if everything will be okay and if I should just do another radiator coolant d&f in a couple months when the weather warms. I did one late last summer. Or should I take the 9-year-old Camry (only has 70,000 miles) to the dealership and have them flush the radiator coolant. If I should go to the dealership, is it okay to drive there, or do you think I should have the car towed? I haven't turned the car on since last night, just in case. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would flush the system before starting the engine. Just pull bottom hose on the radiator so you won't contaminate rest of your cooling system. Flush it with clean water (garden hose will do), refill and bleed air from the system, and your good.

I'd get it out of there ASAP, and flush like mad. I have no idea about what type of coolant you have, but if its got ANY silicates then ATF has a nasty habit of precipitating silicates out as fine powder (at least Dexron III and old silicate antifreeze did that).

And even if *that* isn't an issue, radiator hoses and heater hoses (nevermind O-rings in horrific places like between water pumps and cylinder heads) aren't made to tolerate ATF and may turn to black jello.

Stick a paper towel down the hole and suck up as much as you can. Since you have not started the car chances are most if it will still be there.

If it was less than a ounce then the low amount and papertowel removal will remove enough and not do any damage.

Since the ATF will float at the top and you didn't start the car, try turkey bastering out as much as you can from the rad and top off. That should get most of it. Then drain and fill the radiator.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Stick a paper towel down the hole and suck up as much as you can. Since you have not started the car chances are most if it will still be there.

If it was less than a ounce then the low amount and papertowel removal will remove enough and not do any damage.

This sounds reasonable.

I'd just try to get whatever is floating up top out, that's it. And honestly we are only talking about less than an ounce here. Toyota long life is very low in silica to..and at the price they charge for it I'd be fine with just removing whatever floated to the top.

If it makes you feel better, do a simple drain and refill in a year. Toyota super long life is supposed to be good for 50k miles after the original drain and fill.

Add coolant to overflow the oil out.Then clean up the oil from the outside of the radiator and under the car with purple power.

Did you put it directly into the radiator or the tank?
If in the tank it is still floating on top and didn't go into the radiator yet.
Remove the hoses from the tank and remove the tank. Clean it out and reinstall.

You are right to be concerned, the rubber used in modern hoses and seals is not compatible with oils. It should certainly not be considered a water pump lube.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

You are right to be concerned, the rubber used in modern hoses and seals is not compatible with oils. It should certainly not be considered a water pump lube.

49.gif

+1 It's not clear,though iI'm still scratching my head how either could look like the ATF fill. Is the ATF fill up high, like an oil fill tube, for those cars that don't have the fill on the head?

Also, I've reused oil and and ATF crush gaskets dozens of times with nary a drop. I flip it and reuse it, since all it has to do is seal against a small head of oil. Did you previously torque the poo out of it or maybe not torque it enough this time?

Any oil on the hot surfaces will cook on there and inhibit heat transfer. You might know the difference next summer.

No shop will do the flush good enough unless you press them to do so. I'd do it myself or with a helper. I'd try to absorb it with cotton towels (not paper which might come apart and stay inside the radiator). Fill to the top and float out anything remaining. Get one of the strong radiator cleanser products that says on the label that it removes oil residue, use that according to the directions, flush, flush, renew the coolant.

I had a Cat diesel generator with a leaky (coolant-cooled) oil cooler. Engine oil in the cooling system. It was under warranty, and the tech came, found the problem, then cleaned the system with machine dishwasher detergent. Worked great.

Did anybody pay attention to the AMOUNT of ATF the poor man confessed to inadvertently adding? It is less than a dose of Nyquil.

Built_Well, you do whatever puts your mind at ease. If it were me, I would pour some antifreeze in a disposable clear plastic container, then pour a like amount of ATF in on top of it.

Watch what happens for an hour or two. Go watch TV and come back and see. If the ATF rests on top, (which common sense says it should), then I would use a turkey baster (and cotton towels) and suck back out of the radiator what I put in; overflow the radiator with additional coolant, if it makes you feel better remove the petcock at the bottom and drain the radiator.

I would NOT "flush out" the radiator with a garden hose. Drinking water has iron and minerals in it that are NOT good for your cooling system. Go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart and spend 88 cents a gallon and buy however many gallons of mineral free DISTILLED water you think you need and simply dump a gallon or two or three through the radiator with the petcock open and flowing.

Close up the radiator, fill it with the proper fluids, start the car and go buy dinner for yourself and wife with the $129.99 you just saved at the car dealership.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

49.gif

Every transmission in the world uses rubber hoses to the transmission cooler...are those hoses any different?

We are talking about half an ounce of transmission fluid here, not half a quart.

You might be right, I just don't think it's a big deal at all.

Originally Posted By: doublebase

Every transmission in the world uses rubber hoses to the transmission cooler...are those hoses any different?

Yes they are very different. Modern coolant hoses are basically the same as brake components EPDM rubber. It does not tolerate automotive oils.
Oil softens and weakens it and it doesn't take much.

Realistically 1 oz isn't much but i honestly don't know the contact limit that the rubber will begin to deteriorate. Your right probably nothing will happen but if i could get it out without a lot of trouble i would.

Originally Posted By: doublebase

We are talking about half an ounce of transmission fluid here, not half a quart.

You might be right, I just don't think it's a big deal at all.

There is no big deal, if he uses a towel and turkey baster to remove
several ounces of coolant out of the rad filler neck he will be fine. Folks are making a mountain out of a mole hill but this is
BITOG.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back