Has Ford fixed the ecoboost carbon build up issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yeah. There are still two port fuel n injection engines available. I'd have a hard time deciding between the 3.5na or 2.7t.

The Ecoboost 2.7 is direct injected like all the other Ecoboosts. The only port injected engines are the 3.5 and 5.0.

Im not afraid of direct injection and the 3.5T and 5.0NA are wayyyyyy more engine than I'd need in a truck. The 2.7 would be about perfect for what I would need in a truck (In a few years). Hauling building supplies and dragging around the occasional jeep.

Interestingly, Ez-Off oven cleaner does a wonderful job on carbon.

I've used it on certain engines with great results. Not a new DI engine though. However, I suspect it would work perfectly on the intake valves, as long as they are closed and it's allowed to remain overnight. So, you'd have to do half the cylinders at a time.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Compared to the average owner out there driving D.I. engines, members who post here are likely in the minority - having an above average priority for higher quality preventive / regular maintenance.

Nope, the Taurus gets oil changes at the dealer when the OLM goes off. I assume they use Ford spec bulk 5w20 (yes the early ones were 5w20 and never back-spec'ed) with a MC filter.

The F150 gets it's oil changed either when the OLM goes off or every 6 months by me with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I don't drive it much (10k last year) so I just want to make sure it has fresh oil.

I'm not worried - Ford, GM, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda have it figured out. VW/Audi and BMW do too on their new designs.

Well said!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I hope you early adopters get this sorted out.

Thanks for the well wishes but no need. Like itguy08 and MCompact have stated, we and 99% of d.i. drivers are enjoying worry free motoring.
grin2.gif

What's there to sort out? Bought my Taurus December 22, 2009. It turned 5 in December. Still run great and no engine issues other than a bum knock sensor under warranty. And that could happen to any engine.

You have to admit, some early adopters got bit by DI. OneEyeJack also tends to own a vehicle for decades.

Thanks so much! With a mere eight years and 149k miles on my DI turbo Mazdaspeed I'm virtually certain that the other shoe is about to drop...

Originally Posted By: supton
You have to admit, some early adopters got bit by DI. OneEyeJack also tends to own a vehicle for decades.

Early adopters were 10+ years ago. Calling it such now days is just silly and makes one look ignorantly biased.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I think this is a bigger issue than most people realize because most people don't know what to look for. The early symptoms are hard to notice for 90% of the population who aren't car enthusiasts. Serious drive-ability issues probably won't manifest itself until after the warranty has expired.

It's not a big issue. If the worst thing that can happen is that the engine misfires, and you take it to a shop to get it cleaned after five or six years, that's not much of a problem.

Yeah, you can cherry pick the one guy on a random forum that had issues at 30k miles, but you've got multiple people posting in this thread that have had DI engines approaching or exceeding 100k miles that say that their vehicles displayed zero problems. Let me add another one...

88k on my DI engine, still runs like new.

I heard the ecoboost valve-carbon issues might have been related to EGR hitting the valves without properly mixing with intake air. So the question becomes "Has Ford move the EGR induction flow around a bit?"

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
I heard the ecoboost valve-carbon issues might have been related to EGR hitting the valves without properly mixing with intake air. So the question becomes "Has Ford move the EGR induction flow around a bit?"

Whoever told you that doesn't know anything about the EcoBoost motors. They don't have EGR.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Whoever told you that doesn't know anything about the EcoBoost motors. They don't have EGR.

If they do, it is performed via valve phasing, like on many other engines.

BC.

My bad, I meant PCV flow. Oops. Recirculating crankcase vapors which has blow-by and oil mist.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
If they do, it is performed via valve phasing, like on many other engines.
BC.

Good point. So exhaust can impinge upon the intake valves a little. I really meant PCV, but now am thinking about the effects of effective-EGR anyway, through valve phasing. About the PCV possible issue, a youtube Ford technician seemed to think the valves were worse near the PCV entrance.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: supton

Early adopters were 10+ years ago. Calling it such now days is just silly and makes one look ignorantly biased.

Fair enough. If I buy a five year old DI mill, with say 100k plus on the clock, I'll have no prob taking it to over 300k? I'm guessing when my car finally gives out I will be shopping that vintage.

I just recall hearing how the early ones had issues. If the latest ones are cranking past 200k without issue then I won't worry about it.

The PCV is a big issue causing any carbon buildup. Once someone comes out with an elegant catch can setup for the 2.0L EcoBoost I am getting it.

OK, so you're another Ford insider (parts/service), like that Ford tech, that has heard this. Sounds like the truth, although has Ford publicly admitted it?

Looks like one solution is to have both port AND direct injection in one engine. I knew Toyota had this, yet here is a new one from Audi:

reference: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/01/2014014-audi.html

Last edited:
Carbon buildup is inherent to any GDI design, because you don't have fuel spraying against the back of the intake valves. Anything I can do to keep the intake having just air in it without any oil vapor is a good thing.

The valve overlap acting as EGR should not cause any buildup on the valves because that is all staying in the combustion chamber and exhaust manifold.

One possible difference is the surface finish on the valve stems. If they are smooth and non-stick, then maybe far less carbon adheres to them in the first place. That might explain why some engines, and engine lines, tend to have less problems than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back