The USPS could operate on less money...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If they weren't required to make pension payments of $5.5B a year that just goes into the Washington DC slush funds they could do better.

Well said.

Originally Posted By: Al
Mail should be delivered on tues and Fri only. End of story

Some businesses depend on daily service.

That'll change as time goes on.

If mail was delivered only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday... there would only be a one day delay. A small delay, for such potential savings.

Also, the USPS should institute a rule that if you live within a one mile radius of any Post Office facility, and if you are not physically handicapped... then you get your mail delivered to you in a FREE Post Office box, and NOT to your house.

Two changes, that would save them millions and millions a year, easily.

Not for me. I depend on fast delivery through the Post Office. On a daily basis the goods come and go.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Also, the USPS should institute a rule that if you live within a one mile radius of any Post Office facility, and if you are not physically handicapped... then you get your mail delivered to you in a FREE Post Office box, and NOT to your house.

There's some rule about new condo complexes getting those huge multi-boxes at the end of their entrance road.

When I was a kid the mailbox was hanging off the house wall by the porch door, now it's down by the road where snowplows clobber it.
frown.gif

my dad is 70 years old. He's retired from the USPS. He enjoys getting his pension for the past 22.5 years. yep, he retired at 48, he got tired of the stress he says. He's worked various part time jobs after USPS.

With online payments, online statements, junk email, store catalogs are online, I can see why the USPS is losing revenue.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The USPS receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses...

Besides hapless ratepayers, who should one anticipate will ultimately pick up the tab for ~$100,000,000,000 USPS unfunded liabilities?

Quote:
At the end of fiscal year 2013, USPS had about $100,000,000,000 in unfunded liabilities: $85 billion in unfunded liabilities for benefits, including retiree-health, pension, and workers’ compensation liabilities, and $15 billion in outstanding debt to the U.S. Treasury—the statutory limit.

Sounce...General Accounting Office report:
http://www.gao.gov/assets/670/661637.pdf

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I haven't had to stand in line at a post office in years.

Do they pick up your oil samples too? (I cant remember if you posted a UOA before..)

My local post office wants nothing to do with them even though they clearly aren't "flammable" liquids.

I put postage on mine at the automated postal center and toss it in the drop.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
my dad is 70 years old. He's retired from the USPS. He enjoys getting his pension for the past 22.5 years. yep, he retired at 48, he got tired of the stress he says. He's worked various part time jobs after USPS.

That is simply not sustainable.

It wouldn't make sense for the USPS to even exist for 2 days a week...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

That'll change as time goes on.

If mail was delivered only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday... there would only be a one day delay. A small delay, for such potential savings.

Two changes, that would save them millions and millions a year, easily.

I could see the Mon, Wed, Fri thing, but the rest of it would never fly...

My wife works for the USPS. I picked up a prescription refill yesterday at my local Target pharmacy and the retail price for the prescription was $48.99 but the price I paid with her USPS insurance was $.024. Thats right, 24 cents! They do have good benefits.

Originally Posted By: grampi

It wouldn't make sense for the USPS to even exist for 2 days a week...

Doesn't make a lot of sense in its present configuration. Privatise it. Then charge the true cost of a letter....=end of juink mail. Government bureaucracy, pensions, ineptitude, etc. I live in a town of maybe 7,000 you see any number of mailmen walking around at a cost of (long term with pensions) of over $100K per year. Each one delivers maybe a $100 worth of mail.

Right wrong or indifferent its a totally ridiculous non-sustaining system..which is why it will never change so don't worry.

You are all forgetting it is a Constitutional mandate and that Congress is in charge. They have ulterior motives for what they do and it isn't the most always economical way to do business.

Last year Congress told USPS they had to stop using 1st class Business Reply on padded envelops and switch to a package class. This would require anyone who used this type of packaging to get a Commercial Package account which cost $600 a year plus postage vs the Business Reply of just postage.

They dropped it after too many people complained and the reason for wanting to do it was UPS and FedEx could not compete. Pure politics.

I ordered a weed eater part from Sears on Tuesday night at 8 pm got it in mail Friday morning Dallas Tx to southern WV it's not all bad people just remember the bad human nature.

Originally Posted By: mailman74
I ordered a weed eater part from Sears on Tuesday night at 8 pm got it in mail Friday morning Dallas Tx to southern WV it's not all bad people just remember the bad human nature.

LOL @ your name
grin.gif

While not a solution for inherent problems, a 3 day delivery week would be just fine with me. Such as M, W and Friday only. Other locations could be alternate, with T, T and Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back