Volkswagen TL52162

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-A

It turns out the Audi's ATF fluid is a "lifetime" fluid. I dont like the sound of that. Blauparts.com has ATF drain and fill kits for 96-06 Audi A4's. With the fluid, instructions, fasteners/ hardware, filter and fluid extracting pump, the kit is about $120. It looks like the ATF has to meet Volkwagen's TL52162 spec. Turns out Maxlife ATF meets this spec.

Apparently the VW fluid is yellow while Maxlife is red.. This was mentioned on a forum, but I cant see mixing the two causing any issue. Is there any reason to not simply run Maxlife ATF in this old girl?

Thanks BITOG.

You have to ask yourself..."Is the VW/Audi ATF so expensive that it causes one to want aftermarket ATF's"?

If it's under warranty, I wouldn't use the ML! But, if you are off warranty and ready for an ATF change, why not!
smirk.gif
Others may offer better advise! ?

In my particular case with Toyota T-IV for the Lexus in my signature, it's so reasonably priced at the Toyota Dealer that I shouldn't ever consider other ATF's(but, I do). I have used Castrol IMV ATF in the Lexus but, I got it cheeeeeeep(under $2/qt) so, I bought a boat load and have no issues!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You have to ask yourself..."Is the VW/Audi ATF so expensive that it causes one to want aftermarket ATF's"?

Is this a trick question? Lol. The car has 117k miles and doesn't have a warranty.

If it's under warranty, I wouldn't use the ML! But, if you are off warranty and ready for an ATF change, why not!
smirk.gif
Others may offer better advise! ?

In my particular case with Toyota T-IV for the Lexus in my signature, it's so reasonably priced at the Toyota Dealer that I shouldn't ever consider other ATF's(but, I do). I have used Castrol IMV ATF in the Lexus but, I got it cheeeeeeep(under $2/qt) so, I bought a boat load and have no issues!

$20/liter for G052162A2. Is that cheap enough?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Is this a trick question? Lol. The car has 117k miles and doesn't have a warranty.

I didn't see the mileage listed and I didn't exactly know what year you were talking about and didn't make the connection of the '96-'06 model years!
laugh.gif

You should have zero problems running Maxlife in the trans of your A4. I've been using it in my A6 for almost 90k miles now, along with a couple of others that meet the spec here and there.

I did use the Blau kit on my first fluid change, because I was an Audi noob then and didn't know any better. The color difference is just that, one had dye and the other doesn't.

I would even recommend using a bottle of Lubegard Red, as I had a slight shudder upshifting from 2 to 3 when the torque converter is able to lock and the LG Red solved that. Now I just change the fluid when I sense the shudder coming back, as that's my indicator that the fluid has broken down.

Really, all the spec indicates is a semi or full syn Dexron III fluid. The base spec the Audi one is based on is LT71141, so look for that on the bottle.

Edit: Skip the Blau kit and get a filter kit from Autozone. They now stock it at most stores, and it comes with a rubber gasket that won't leak like the paper ones like to do. And for $21, you can't beat that price. The fluid pumps are pretty cheap, too but I'm not sure that they are as good as the one I got from Blau.

My review: http://www.autozone.com/parts/filters-an...253012_27419_0/

They changed to a new part number that they stock regularly.

Last edited:
Valvoline states that their fluid is:

suitable for use in:
VW TL52162

They don't claim their fluid meets the specification.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Valvoline states that their fluid is:

suitable for use in:
VW TL52162

They don't claim their fluid meets the specification.

How could it if it doesn't, though.

I chuckle every time I hear it suggested that "meets or exceeds" somehow does not "meet."

This is what TL52162 is..
Quote:
TL 52162
Mineralische ATFs DEXRON III-Niveau;
Lebensdauerfüllung

Dex III level mineral based fluid, life time fill.
Since the TL 50160 was straight Dex III it would be a fair bet that the TL 52162 has a higher TBN and not much else to qualify it as life long.
If Maxlife claims to meet the spec i would have no problem whatsoever using it under the condition it be changed at some interval.

Read for yourself and make your own mind up. Look almost to the bottom of the page.

http://www.fuchs-europe.de/fileadmin/fuc..._2013_DE_SQ.pdf

Why does VW charge so much? Simple they make up for the loss of service interval by charging all out doors for the most basic fluids.
They all do it. Citroen was unbelievable with their hydraulic oil. At the time Citroen wanted DM 25 for a ltr, Castrol had the same fluid (same green color even) for DM 7.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

How could it if it doesn't, though.

I chuckle every time I hear it suggested that "meets or exceeds" somehow does not "meet."

How do they claim it meets or exceeds multiple specs that are contradictory? Indeed... meets or exceeds.
example viscosity spec., or the friction part of the spec.

It will claim its suitable for use in replacing 2 different fluids with different viscosity or friction requirements.

Last edited:
Having bought the blauparts kit and the kit from ecs tuning with vaico fluid, I would not hesitate to buy the blauparts kit again, its the little things like extra screws and new o rings for the fill and drain plugs, the included pump which works awesome and its cheaper than the ecs kit and the shipping was cheaper. I contemplated using maxlife but figured getting a fluid made specifically for the esso lt71141 was a better decision.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
TL 52162
Lebensdauerfüllung

Since the TL 50160 was straight Dex III it would be a fair bet that the TL 52162 has a higher TBN and not much else to qualify it as life long.
If Maxlife claims to meet the spec i would have no problem whatsoever using it under the condition it be changed at some interval.

Read for yourself and make your own mind up. Look almost to the bottom of the page.

Why does VW charge so much? Simple they make up for the loss of service interval by charging all out doors for the most basic fluids.
They all do it. Citroen was unbelievable with their hydraulic oil. At the time Citroen wanted DM 25 for a ltr, Castrol had the same fluid (same green color even) for DM 7.

Found it at the bottom of the page. Thanks for the direction because I cant read a word of German. Lol.

Looks like Maxlife it is then. I am thinking a drain and fill.. then one a year later just to be OCD. After that, I bet 30k intervals would work just fine.

These things look super simple to do drain and fills on.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
TL 52162
Lebensdauerfüllung

Found it at the bottom of the page. Thanks for the direction because I cant read a word of German. Lol.

Looks like Maxlife it is then. I am thinking a drain and fill.. then one a year later just to be OCD. After that, I bet 30k intervals would work just fine.

These things look super simple to do drain and fills on.

The filling is a bit of a pain, if you can get the hose to stay in the small opening of the stand pipe in the trans pan it's not that bad.

Yeah it looks like a 2 person job for that at least. What exactly is a stand pipe? Judging from pictures I had seen, I just assumed it was a simple fill plug.

I wasn't seeing it at first, but the side shot 3/4 of the way down answered my question. Thank you.

the 5hp19 is not open on top like the pictures in the link, theres a cap on top with 2 small holes on the side you have to fit the hose thru.

$(KGrHqRHJDgE+BK88n6cBPzT9MOCtg~~60_12.JPG

I use basic 3/8" tubing to pump the fluid into the trans pan. If you're pulling the pan to replace the filter, put the hose in the stand pipe before you bolt the pan back on. It makes it easier this way, although you can fish the tubing in when the pan is already on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back