Anteater 2014 Formula One car unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill888
At least the front of these cars is beginning to resemble what (IMO) race cars should look like from the front (a design based upon a low nose.) On this note, I think some of the most beautiful open-wheeled cars were the CART designs of the 90's.
Bill

I agree 100% that a low nose is fundamental to good open-wheel design. Also, those 90's CART cars looked and sounded incredible... and had 1,000 HP... and had a clutch pedal and gearshift... holy cow! I remember seeing those cars race in Detroit quite a few times. They were awesome.

Originally Posted By: whip
More shocking than the looks of the cars is the fact that McLaren doesn't have a primary sponsor.

I guess that is what happens when you become an "also ran" Maybe they should concentrate on the race car and not how clean the shop floor is, all the screw heads in same dirrection, or what the team trailer looks like at racetrack. Way too much focus on the wrong stuff IMHO!!!!!!!

The Mercedes almost has a normal nose:
2014mercedes2-lg.jpg

The Red Bull looks the best so far, at least they cleverly used "paint" to hide the ugly stuff. The Caterham is an interesting idea with the nose coming up from the chassis.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: Bill888
At least the front of these cars is beginning to resemble what (IMO) race cars should look like from the front (a design based upon a low nose.) On this note, I think some of the most beautiful open-wheeled cars were the CART designs of the 90's.
Bill

I agree 100% that a low nose is fundamental to good open-wheel design. Also, those 90's CART cars looked and sounded incredible... and had 1,000 HP... and had a clutch pedal and gearshift... holy cow! I remember seeing those cars race in Detroit quite a few times. They were awesome.

...And they did that without having intercoolers, which I found amazing!

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Caterham perhaps more bizarre than Lotus? Go Kamui!
22639.3.jpg

dms1428ja465_3073969.jpg

The Caterham gives me the dry heaves.

It looks like they said "Well, the FIA says we have to lower the wing, so let's cut the high nose off our old car and glue an old F3000 nose in its place."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If it wins, it's beautiful.

So true. I remember how I felt about the Benneton before MS started winning with it. In my mind it went from a very ugly interpretation of the design parameters to a beautiful cutting-edge example of future F1 designs.
IIRC it was one of the Road and Track writers who stated that we each consider the most beautiful race cars to be those that were competing when we first got interested in the sport. For me it was the first rear-engined examples of F1. I couldn't understand older fans loving the looks of the previous front-engined cars.

I will watch the characterful nose features evolve this year, but ugly noses written out of 2015 rules:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27327.html

Williams will have Martini livery:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27322.html

Oh no! 2015 noses are still grotesque, although on a smaller scale, and just vestigially penile/nasal. Put a black g-string (like Red Bull and Force India) over that little wart! Think of the children...
28497.3.jpg

I will watch the characterful nose features evolve this year, but ugly noses written out of 2015 rules:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27327.html

Williams will have Martini livery:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns27322.html

Oh no! 2015 noses are still grotesque, although on a smaller scale, and just vestigially penile/nasal. Put a black g-string (like Red Bull and Force India) over that little wart! Think of the children...
28497.3.jpg

The new Force India nose isn't much better, but their livery is outstanding. And they still employ the black 'thong' to cover the small protrusion at the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back