zMAX update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I am now leaning towards just selling this and just using Rislone at the end of each OCI. I once sold some old stock Nulon for a very handsome sum. Thanks for your input Molakule
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I did a full elemental analysis and found no additives whatsover.

A former colleague of mine ran a full GC-FTIR scan and found only mineral oil, asymmetric ethers, and some dye. The asymmetric ethers and dye are added to the fuel treatment version.

Thank you. IIRC both versions are exactly the same, the bottles differ for marketing purposes. That was mentioned in one of the threads about the product.

Way back in the old daze my family's machine shop used to build circle track engines for several well known competitors. The cutting of the piston skirts used to be a black art known to few. We made extremely competitive engines that won a lot of races.

I have seen several actual engines assembled brand new in a clean room come back after 3 or 4 events and have noticeably less deposits on the skirts (what little there was!) and ring lands than normal. My BIL's Father asked them what they were doing different.

The team involved had started using Avblend, allegedly the same thing as ZMax. It did something, most of those engines came back with deposits but the Avblend motors were clean as a whistle.

I believe our member Johnny alluded to this exact thing in old posts here...

Yeah, only one known or one stated - but I have been around the laboratory block enough to know that things are not always what they appear or are stated as fact. I'm just saying. That could be completely fake or completely wrong. You nor I really know. Things that wish to rise to the level of "fact" need to be independently corroborated and verified and there is none of that here. And when I say no thick nasty stuff, I don't mean it isn't in the video.

As much as you may wish to believe it, there is no cause and effect in that video.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: kschachn
I think it is equally likely that there was no thick nasty stuff, or that it had nothing to do with zMax.

The video is there to see for yourself. No need to guess. Only one known variable changed after cutting many filters before.

At the Uni lab we have this following instrumentation:

We use:
1. IR spectral methods such as GC-FTIR,
2. LC-MS,
3. H-NMR, C-NMR (DEPT mode),
4. electron ionization mass spectrometry (EI-MS, ESI-MS), and
5. near UV (N-UV) instrumentation.
and others.

with 1 and 4 being mostly used.

With 4, I can tell you the relative abundance of a material in a complex mixture.

With 3, I can tell you the individual constituents that make up an organic molecule and recreate the formula.

In the fall semester I'll try to develop a lab exercise to have another team of students analyze it as we did with MMO:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...MMO#Post3442362

BTW, JHZR2 presented an excellent example set of analyses graphs from insrumentation here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3582839/4/Kerosene

post #3585416.

However, if anyone else on the board would like to present additional results feel free to do so.

Quote:
The cutting of the piston skirts used to be a black art known to few. We made extremely competitive engines that won a lot of races.

I was at a performance machine shop one time and watched these guys cut grooves for the rings from piston stock and do extra trimming.

The whole process is simply fascinating.

BTW, one of my first jobs out of high school was as a machinist but I never attained the skills or experience to be as good as the guys at the performance machine shop.

My hats off to those machinists.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The cutting of the piston skirts used to be a black art known to few. We made extremely competitive engines that won a lot of races.

I was at a performance machine shop one time and watched these guys cut grooves for the rings from piston stock and do extra trimming.

The whole process is simply fascinating.

BTW, one of my first jobs out of high school was as a machinist but I never attained the skills or experience to be as good as the guys at the performance machine shop.

My hats off to those machinists.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, we are very lucky to have both 2nd and 3rd gen machinists working in the shop. They make most of their money today off the high end hot rodding crowd but used to be very well known in drag racing and circle track stuff.

Their facility is amazing and their skill is extraordinary...

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
"What's something we can sell for zee max profit?" "Let's take mineral oil and market it as a miracle engine lube additive, let's call it zMax because we'll make zee maximum profit from zis plan!"

It may not be all a scam. There is a user on here who got interesting results when running it. He cut open his filters before using zmax and got regular dirty oil. He then cut open filters after running zmax and it was thick, nasty stuff in the filter. It would sure be nice to get people to discuss those results without flaming and see if anyone can explain what exactly happened in that application. It did something but was it good or bad?

Johnny was adamant the stuff worked, so much so he left the board after the beating he took over it. I trusted him and never had reason to doubt him.
I never used it and probably never will but I cant just call it snake oil either.

This thread..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2044492&page=4

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Tryclesilphosfate, is ashless, and cleans! An airspace product by the way.

I don't know what this comment has to do with Zmax. Zmax does not contain any TCP and has no connection to TCP.

TCP is used in aerospace hydraulic fluids and some phosphate forms are used in turbine engine oils, but that is about it.

Well Molakule, Tryclesil phosfate TCP and now TPP tryphenil phosfate is the aviation AW. Since Zmax is the same as Avblend ... There is supposed to have TCP as AW aicraft oil additive, the only thing FAA would clear to be used, as opposed to ZDDP by its clear ash deposits problems ... If you say there isn't, what would it have, mineral oil and linkite? So, what's linkite, A modified form of TCP? Likite sounds like almost a polymer for me (linked substance). TCP and now TPP are tri not poly, even though is a linked material.
Ah, btw TCP is (was) also used in reciprocating engines in aviation, like Shell Av100 and Phillips66, Engine oils that lacks in your list of hydraulic and jet oil.
BTW, TCP isn't used anymore, since TCP was replaced by TPP (tryphenil phosfate) in 1990, for public health reason. TCP attacks brain cells and gives brain cancer.

So I change my statment for TPP, is ashless and cleans

Please explain. I Don't mean to get you coffee though, eazy pal. Haha

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Johnny was adamant the stuff worked, so much so he left the board after the beating he took over it. I trusted him and never had reason to doubt him.
I never used it and probably never will but I cant just call it snake oil either.

It may have some effects - I think the marketing just gets a little ahead of things. It may be able to remedy some issues, but other issues with similar symptoms, it might well be powerless against. Some have had success, while others (one of whom was a Canadian that used to frequent this board) had no luck.

Lots of additives "do something." Whether they work quite as advertised is always the crux.

...Well Molakule, Tryclesil phosfate TCP and now TPP tryphenil phosfate is the aviation AW. Since Zmax is the same as Avblend ... There is supposed to have TCP as AW aicraft oil additive, the only thing FAA would clear to be used, as opposed to ZDDP by its clear ash deposits problems ... If you say there isn't, what would it have, mineral oil and linkite? So, what's linkite, A modified form of TCP? Likite sounds like almost a polymer for me (linked substance). TCP and now TPP are tri not poly, even though is a linked material.
Ah, btw TCP is (was) also used in reciprocating engines in aviation, like Shell Av100 and Phillips66, Engine oils that lacks in your list of hydraulic and jet oil.
BTW, TCP isn't used anymore, since TCP was replaced by TPP (tryphenil phosfate) in 1990, for public health reason. TCP attacks brain cells and gives brain cancer...

Our instrumentation detected no phosporus compounds: no Tri-Cresyl Phosphate esters, no Tri-Phenol Phosphate esters, no phosphate compounds whatsover.

Just because aviation recip oils use various forms of phosphorus chemistry as ashless anti-wear additives, doesn't mean that AVblend or Zmax would have it.

As far as Linkite, who knows to what they are referring.

Now partial reading the other (very informative thread), I came to the conclusion that Linkite came from the person's name Lencky, the name of the inventor. I'm kinda thinking that light mineral oils are good for the engine... Maybe I'll try baby oil in my crankcase to see the cleaning results ...
Zmax, Avbelnd, Seafoam ... Oil solvent for makeup ... you name it.

I got impressed with u2b videos from that member oppening filters full of gunk after using babe (I mean Zmax) oil on its Chevy...

Last edited:
Now partial reading the other (very informative thread), I came to the conclusion that Linkite came from the person's name Lencky, the name of the inventor. I'm kinda thinking that light mineral oils are good for the engine... Maybe I'll try baby oil in my crankcase to see the cleaning results ...
Zmax, Avbelnd, Seafoam ... Oil solvent for makeup ... you name it.

I got impressed with u2b videos from that member oppening filters full of gunk after using babe (I mean Zmax) oil on its Chevy...

Canola oil works well.

Seriously

Really? Actually I've seen a thread here about pure canola on cranckcase. I wonder what the results of that ...

Even though once I mixed (veggie) castor oil with mineral pcmo, and the phase separate in about 2 days at summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back