Let's talk about stolen cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I got to look at my stolen, now recovered (thank God) Honda today. Found out a more thorough list of stolen parts, that does in fact seem to suggest "crackheaded robbery:"

Missing:
- Headlights
- Battery
- Radiator
- TRUNK LID
- WIPER BLADES
- Radio.
- Spark plug wires (*presumably spark plugs are still in.)
- possible air filter

But? Get this..
- "Nothing else was taken." (All they got from the trunk was my 2 35-packs of water. No speakers to be had)
- Mechanic said they "REPLACED DISTRIBUTOR WITH A MESSED UP ONE?" (So they got my distributor... wires all cut.)

Wth? Why would they do that?

They LEFT the:
- Interior IN TACT. Untouched.
- It is still my engine in there. I even recognize the oil.
- All glass.
- All suspension components.
- I guess I will see when we start it if I still have a full tank of gas.

And then they left it somewhere where it was found. The other Honda they took.. Engine missing, a lot of stuff.

Does this make any sense? Or does it point to a crackhead?

One of two things:

They had a car that they need all of these specific parts for, and your car was the first one they came across that had all the parts in decent enough shape.

These are the easiest parts to sell on eBay/Craisglist and make a few bucks, while not having the car's VIN etched in them.

The inclusion of the trunk lid being stolen makes me think it's the first scenario, because trunk lids have VIN stickers on them.

A third option would be if they were planning on stripping your car just enough that you would abandon it after recovery, then it would hit the police/insurance auction circuit. They would then repurchase it for next to nothing, reinstall all the parts they stole, and resell your car as soon as the paperwork clears.

BC.

Where she sits now:
abfc93b26a868c7b761a15451aa0d7a3.jpg

3beb07118a24d0dd412398778e4bc8ba.jpg

e68946b81fccdf2789857112def3aab9.jpg

b324fed8f1a8428f2d7e6560f21eb1ef.jpg

1d1939508ed873ea6f4009636a798df5.jpg

And when she was found: (*towed to..)

181ef98dc203d10bc1a3cb69e39bb814.jpg

4f812c4786fe799c8165f7cb0d2c1481.jpg

They DID leave the spark plugs. I wish I had my tool, they would be SeaFoam piston soaking right now..

0b2a883793950db334ebfbf140428fd6.jpg

cb7f883886e2dc92b80c997c9118ea15.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the missing "engine parts." Time to find a yard..

9286250e4036c30e16264c277c89e4ba.jpg

Hate to be a downer, but...
That Honda there is a moneypit.
The end would not justify the means to fix it up.
I would take the path of least financial resistance to dispose of said vehicle. The money spent on storage alone amounts to resources wasted.
Time to hit up CL for a new steed.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I would take the path of least financial resistance to dispose of said vehicle. The money spent on storage alone amounts to resources wasted.

shocked.gif

Alright, well... I am interested in all opinions, including those I may not necessarily want to hear.. so, may I ask why you say this?

shocked.gif

Alright, well... I am interested in all opinions, including those I may not necessarily want to hear.. so, may I ask why you say this?

I have to agree with him, financially it doesn't sound like it would make sense to repair, an insurance company would certainly total that. Parts and labor will be more than the car is worth, and you have no idea what they did to the drivetrain while they had it. You know the phrase "drive it like you stole it"?

What did you pay for the car originally?

shocked.gif

I'll run through it, using some guesstimates/fast and ugly math.
I don't know which model of Civic it is, but I will guess it is a EX. I believe you said that it is a 1995.

I'll use KBB, because I have their app on my phone. In "Good" condition (165K), private party value is $1561, trade value is $761 in my area. Judging by photos, I'd say this is a best case scenario.

From your list, to restore it to original condition (these are parts:)

Headlights $100. (Could be more. Used or aftermarket)
Bulbs $20 for OEM
New Battery $80 (You could save some from a yard, but I would go new)
Radiator/Hoses $250.
Trunklid $60 (assuming you could get one noted @ that price)
Wiper Blades: $10
Radio: $100 (New aftermarket, but you could go used or omit)
Wires: $60
Distributor: $200. (Guess on new, but you could go used)
Damaged Console (from photo) $50 (price guess from yard)
A/F: $20

Total: Approx. $950. This is assuming full DIY. This does not include other factors such as towing/storage.
On top of this, there may be other damage or complications in repair that would not come to light until you fully tear into it.

You have mentioned having this work done, Factoring labor and parts markup, you would easily exceed the value of this vehicle.

That is why I say, best to hit CL.

If I was going to buy another car...

I totally understand that there *may* be "hidden damage. ." I done lost toooooo many cars. Add that this one was returned..

Add that this one was returned..

You would have been better off if it hadn't.
What you have there is a Japanese carcass that is probably costing you $$ daily.

shocked.gif

If you were mechanically inclined and had the ability to fix the car up yourself, it would be a worthwhile endeavour. However, since this is not the case and you are paying somebody to store it and fix it, you'll have far more money in it after it gets put back together than what it is worth. I think that's what he's getting at.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

shocked.gif

If you were mechanically inclined and had the ability to fix the car up yourself, it would be a worthwhile endeavour. However, since this is not the case and you are paying somebody to store it and fix it, you'll have far more money in it after it gets put back together than what it is worth. I think that's what he's getting at.

Precisely. And in the long run, be no better off (perhaps even worse off) then buying another beater. This is, if he needs the vehicle.

quoted for truth. Sorry, man.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This could be the cat's meow:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4851036319.html

OP + Volvo = explosive combination

Hondas are any less explosive?

The Volvo does include a trunk lid.

Simply trying to provide the OP a plethora of options and show that he can buy a vehicle with all its parts (whether or not they work is another issue) for same or less cost than rebuilding his Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back