2015 Corolla oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got my wife a 2015 Corolla S. The factory oil change interval says 10K using only synthetic 0W20 oil. I'm trying to convince her to just do them @ 5K with Mobil 1 and Wix filters instead of dealership (I don't mind changing oil).

Am I being overly paranoid? Or should I just let dealer change oil? We have free oil changes for life as long as all the scheduled maintenance is performed at the dealership.

Yeah I figured so. My only real reasoning is because we have a 2008 XB that started burning oil @ ~85K miles and the first 35K miles were dealership oil changes.

Different engines and the 35K of dealer changes probably did not contribute. The 2AZ-FE engines of that vintage were known to eat a little oil. So it's most likely coincedence not cause/effect.

Just hard to shake things sometimes LOL

I assume they will be using Toyota synthetic oil and filters.

Thanks.

what does the maintenance schedule book say? The owners manual say 10K OCI. But when I look in the separate booklet that is in your glove box it has definitions of normal or severe service.
Read those and determine your driving conditions. I drive under severe conditions, very short trips to the bus stop every say.
YMMV.

page 36 down. note the special operation conditions
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-15Corolla/pdf/2015_Toyota_Corolla_WMG.pdf

Last edited:
Let the dealer do the changes at 10k to keep her happy, but when she goes out or whatever, sneak in with your drain bucket halfway between dealer services and do it yourself to sleep better. Best of both worlds
wink.gif

"We have free oil changes for life as long as all the scheduled maintenance is performed at the dealership." - check on those prices before you let them do your "free" oil changes. Personally, I'd just change it myself every 10,000 with M1, PP or another quality, readily available synthetic.

Yeah I suspect that the prices will be high. I'll probably just start doing them myself. Stuff like engine air filter and possibly cabin air filter I can do myself easily.

Originally Posted By: Sithely
We just got my wife a 2015 Corolla S. The factory oil change interval says 10K using only synthetic 0W20 oil. I'm trying to convince her to just do them @ 5K with Mobil 1 and Wix filters instead of dealership (I don't mind changing oil).

Am I being overly paranoid? Or should I just let dealer change oil? We have free oil changes for life as long as all the scheduled maintenance is performed at the dealership.

Your wife seems to know a lot about oil, is she a member here?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Agreed.

I've been doing 10K OCIs since 1978 in all kinds of engines with M1 oils. Surely a Toyota will.

If u have free oil changes at the dealer, let them do it unless it's inconvenient. After warranty, u can OCI as u please

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Heh, nope just me, but I try to teach her. She just always took her cars to dealership. I always change my own oil.

One of the exiting things for me about going out of warranty is I can extend the OCI to 10K miles without worrying about voiding any warranty. Guess that's why I'm on this site.

I'm a much more "severe" driver. Winter starts. Commute to work is only about 8 miles.

There's no reason it couldn't go 10K miles on a synthetic oil.

We have free oil changes for life as long as all the scheduled maintenance is performed at the dealership.

Skip the "free" oil changes... that's not a deal at all.

They are going to hit you with hundreds of dollars worth of "scheduled maintenance" every time you bring it in.

You'll be replacing air filters and lug nuts and engine flushes, etc...

That is a huge money maker for the dealership.

I have a 14 Corolla and Since the warranty cover oil changes for 2 years at 10K intervals I take it in , but I do my own oil chang in between theirs at 5K . Maybe over doing it But the`re easy and that only amounts to not much over 2 changes a year once the dealer is done providing the freebies. PS: I like the car a lot more roomy and better mileage than most cars that are even smaller.

Alot of the scheduled maintenance is nonsense and costs alot. When i first got my car in 2010 it went to the dealer for all oil changes and never once the scheduled stuff besides stuff like coolant flush, etc. Alot of the $ they make is on inspection work..which all they do is a quick look under..is this a 1zzfe engine? If so..they are easy on oil and you can go 10k. I might be paranoid like you so since she drives 18k per year..do an oci 2-3 times per year. Worst case an oci every 9k miles shouldbe already playing it safe and it wont hurt to do it every 6k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back