2015 Subaru CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all.In the spring I'll be buying a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT with the turbo engine.I read that the 2.0 turbo has a high torque cvt transmission which has no filter I believe.How is this different from other Subaru cvt?Also I want to use when I change the oil Castrol Syntec 5W30 oil.Would this be a great choice for the turbo?OCI would be 6K.Thanks Joe

The available CVT in the new WRX has received very positive reviews from pro rally drivers, the media and owners. Castrol Syntec supposedly performs very well in the TEOST procedure, a plus for any DI turbo engine. I'd use the Castrol with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Dually
Hi to all.In the spring I'll be buying a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT with the turbo engine.I read that the 2.0 turbo has a high torque cvt transmission which has no filter I believe.How is this different from other Subaru cvt?Also I want to use when I change the oil Castrol Syntec 5W30 oil.Would this be a great choice for the turbo?OCI would be 6K.Thanks Joe

Why the turbo over the 2.5 engine?

Believe that the "2016" Subaru Forester will be out early in 2015, I think in April. Thinking of getting one myself, the 2.5 engine.

Last edited:
We have a base 2015 the MT6 speed is a nice unit, car rides like a rock though compared to the 14 Rogue. Also feels nose heavy. Nice light aircraft-grade aluminum hood( bonnet). Pretty Nice steering feel and initial turn in for an E steering assist. Best space utilization for this size vehicle. Subaru has figured out how to make a strut car turn as many havent. 21500 out the door was good price for this segment. The Radio head has improved to the point that it is even marginally listenable for a hifi guy
smile.gif
I still think the EJ 253 with the VTEC was punchier in the upper rev range when you wanted to really scoot vs the single intake VVT FB25 chain motor.

Last edited:

From my research, it's got beefier internals, and is slightly larger and heavier. Other than that There isn't much detail other than "higher torque capacity" that I have found.

Its similar to the regular cvt just made for higher powered engines. I believe there is a similar/same cvt behind the H6 engine as well as the turbo.

Somewhat unbelievably, I'd say the CVT is one of the best things about the car. This is from a confirmed CVT hater. I did go with the manual but the CVT is EXCELLENT.

The best thing about the Forester is the best in class visibility out the windows. No "high beltline" other other nonsense where you feel like you are sitting in a box.

The worst thing about the 2.5 is the bad throttle tip in. They REALLY need to remap the gas pedal abit.. favoring smoothness over the "power feeling" of the fast tip-in.

The HD radio is supurb, HD channels sound like CD's

Stock speakers are weak but you can get a set of kicker upgrades that drop right in.

The Premium package is well worth it esp if you are getting the CVT.

The base model the cvt is a 1000$ charge, with Premium package its a 500$ charge. Which makes it under 2000$ for the premium package.

Giant sunroof, upgraded wheels, Tinted windows(very nice), Better radio, power seat are just some of the features of the premium package.

Last edited:
I read that the 2.0 turbo has a high torque cvt transmission which has no filter I believe.How is this different from other Subaru cvt?

The N/A 2.0 CVT has a filter deep in the transmission and it also has an "oil strainer" just above the pan. I had my CVT fluid changed at 10k miles and the oil strainer was filled with metal shavings. Since all the other FF oil got changed, I wasn't going to neglecte the transmission. It was a good too because it was A LOT of metal shavings.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports mentioned (something like) that when you step on the gas from a stop light, it kind of jumps ahead and that takes some getting use to.

Yep; however from cruising some Subaru forums, the cure is to let the car start moving on its own first, then add some gas and it makes for a smooth departure.

CVT plus turbo should mean it scoots nicely. Pin the revs to max torque and let the car build speed. No shifting means no loss of boost either.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I read that the 2.0 turbo has a high torque cvt transmission which has no filter I believe.How is this different from other Subaru cvt?

The N/A 2.0 CVT has a filter deep in the transmission and it also has an "oil strainer" just above the pan. I had my CVT fluid changed at 10k miles and the oil strainer was filled with metal shavings. Since all the other FF oil got changed, I wasn't going to neglecte the transmission. It was a good too because it was A LOT of metal shavings.

Shavings or sub micronic particles?

I can't see shavings ever, just doesn't compute. Now a faint hint of metallic particles I can see has the metal band will wear in.

Paying extra money for the turbo isn't for me, but if you're interested in Subaru, the Forester is where it's at in terms of what you get for the money. I don't know what the differences are between this CVT and the others, but either way, I think you'll like it in the long run.

IMO, Subaru has put a lot of effort into matching these CVTs to these vehicles. On the flip side, I'm pretty sure they allowed some 5spd XV Crosstreks to be produced because they had some 5MTs laying around. I soooo miss my CVT equipped 2012 Leggy compared to this 5spd.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223

Shavings or sub micronic particles?

I can't see shavings ever, just doesn't compute. Now a faint hint of metallic particles I can see has the metal band will wear in.

Not the gray graphite looking goop you typically see coming out of a differential but actual small tiny pieces of metal shavings. I was sitting in the waiting area when the service tech came to show me what he found. The strainer sounded like a rattle when he shook it and then he poured most of it out in his hand. The parts washer got out the rest.

That was almost 48k miles ago and everything is fine. From what I saw that came out of my transmission, I would do it again at 10k miles if I ever got another new Subaru CVT. My next Subaru would be a Forester, an XT maybe. I was trying to convince my mom to get one when I was home this past summer. Home is also Long Island (Huntington).

Interesting....maybe someone didn't do such a good job on assembly with the castings(cleaning). Hey no problems though!

The new XT sounds like a winner, don't know it is has the boxer lope to it though. I really enjoy that sound from mine.

Not the gray graphite looking goop you typically see coming out of a differential but actual small tiny pieces of metal shavings..

6star- didn't you post pics of this some time back? I know I saw pics online somewhere, where a 2012+ Impreza owner posted CVT oil change pics with the disturbing glittery used CVT juice. The Subaru CVT looked funny with the pan off, with just an Electrolux looking cone cover over the business.

If it's any consolation, these CVTs have been in use since 2010 on the Legacy, and I've yet to read of a failure.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Not the gray graphite looking goop you typically see coming out of a differential but actual small tiny pieces of metal shavings..

6star- didn't you post pics of this some time back? I know I saw pics online somewhere, where a 2012+ Impreza owner posted CVT oil change pics with the disturbing glittery used CVT juice. The Subaru CVT looked funny with the pan off, with just an Electrolux looking cone cover over the business.

If it's any consolation, these CVTs have been in use since 2010 on the Legacy, and I've yet to read of a failure.

I posted pictures of the CVT open on nasioc.com so somebody else posted pics of the fluid. I do have a picture from three weeks ago showing a small amount of old Subaru CVTF in a bottle. Didn't notice anything glittery after 48K miles but this is also the second time it's been changed. The old fluid seemed kind of watery to me so I will do it again maybe at 100K.

I haven't heard of any failures or problems with the Subaru CVT either. They are proving to be reliable thus far.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Consumer Reports mentioned (something like) that when you step on the gas from a stop light, it kind of jumps ahead and that takes some getting use to.

If I remember correctly, the Forester XT gets the best performance if you push the gas pedal down smoothly rather than just stomping on it. The WRX has launch control for optimal high-powered starts, but the XT doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back