Found an old favorite war movie....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen that one many times, but not recently.
You can see Operation Pacific on YouTube, if they haven't taken it down recently.
Destination Tokyo is another good one.
I really liked U571 when it came out in 2000. Pretty surprising that a good WW2 sub movie was made fairly recently.

I remember when I was still punching holes (going to sea on submarines) I was on USS Michigan SSBN 727, we pulled into Hawaii for a port visit and U571 had just been released. About half the crew, 60 guys, all went to the movies to see that one. Cheering and not a dry eye in the house. It was awesome to go to see that movie with a bunch of my Submarine brethren.

Most of us did not like Crimson Tide. Hunt for Red October is good. Grey Lady Down? Not so much. Das Boat? Yes!

Thanks OneEye, been a while since I watched that.
After that war Churchill was quoted as saying the only thing that really worried him was the U-boats.

This movie (and, I guess, the original novel) were the inspiration for the early "Star Trek" episode, "Balance of Terror." You might say, "Rip-off," but the script was well done, and it introduced the Romulans and developed a good bit of the Federation's history.

I'd seen the Mitchum film before, but only on TV in B & W. I had no idea it was in color.

My all time favorite war movie is from the 80's:
The Siege of Firebase Gloria

It dispenses with all the fluff that you often see polluting War movies and goes straight to the action. Racking up a really high body count when Vietnamese where throwing themselves at US positions in masses during the Tet Offensive.

It's a lot like We Were Soldiers except without all the training and back home parts.

Saw this this weekend on DIRECTV on the free movie channels preview
thumbsup2.gif

That's a great war film. I've seen it a few times...always suspenseful.

Another fantastic war film with Mitchum is "Heaven knows, Mr. Allison". It centers around Mitchum (a Marine) and a nun. They are stuck on an island that eventually gets overrun with Japanese soldiers. They are hiding in a cave and trying to survive without getting discovered.

Great movie.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
That's a great war film. I've seen it a few times...always suspenseful.

Another fantastic war film with Mitchum is "Heaven knows, Mr. Allison". It centers around Mitchum (a Marine) and a nun. They are stuck on an island that eventually gets overrun with Japanese soldiers. They are hiding in a cave and trying to survive without getting discovered.

Great movie.

Leave us not forget 1964's "Father Goose," Cary Grant's next-to-last film. He plays a beachcomber in the WWII Pacific who is dragooned into spotting planes for the Navy, and eventually has to care for French schoolmistress Leslie Caron and her pupils. I know, it sounds silly, but it's one of the best performances of Grant's career. He himself said his Walter character in "Goose" was closer to his own personality than anything else he'd ever played.

Run Silent, Run Deep..

I saw the John Ford movie 'They Were Expendable' recently - still an old Ford favorite although not a submarine movie but they did have torpedos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back