Couple of Qs about Castrol Edge 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 40 quarts of Edge 0w-40 "European Formula" during the AZ clearance sale. Everything do oil changes for specs a 30 wt. (Saturn S-Series, Cobalt, Cavalier) Any reason not to run this? Also should I thin this with anything? If so, I have a bunch of M1EP 0w-20 and Castrol Synblend 5w-20 on hand as well - either a good/better match than the other?

TIA.

I would use the viscosity index table to make it a 30 weight.

Honestly for my cars I'm doing 50% 0w20 with 50% 0w40.

I got plenty of both.

Why did you buy 40 quarts of oil that doesn't match the specs of any of your vehicles?

That reminds me of a woman I know that buys shoes too small because she can't resist the sale prices.

I certainly wouldn't mix this high quality oil with other brands/grades.

You might as well buy Super Tech dino at Walmart and call it good.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Why did you buy 40 quarts of oil that doesn't match the specs of any of your vehicles?

That reminds me of a woman I know that buys shoes too small because she can't resist the sale prices.

Though I don't have any issue with Supertech, I'm not sure why I would pay for Supertech dino (what is it $12.97 a jug) when I paid $43.25 minus a $20 free to me AZ gift card and another 10% discounted AZ gift card through Discover reward points (and qualified for 2 of the 5 transactions towards another $20 credit from AZ). So Edge 0w-40 at ~$2.43/5 quarts (including tax) - why not.

I knew Edge 0w-40 is well respected. I wasn't concerned when I bought it being a 40wt versus speced for a 30wt (though I don't mind thinning it and using up the 20wt if it's a good mix, which is why I asked). I doubt my Saturn or Cobalt would care. My concern was if the European Formula meant anything that would have negative implications in the cars I listed. I wasn't about to come home, research, and if I thought it worked drive back to AZ and see if it's still on the shelf.

Worst case scenario, I'm pretty sure I can breakeven if I was to post it on Craigslist without much time and effort.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I picked up 40 quarts of Edge 0w-40 "European Formula" during the AZ clearance sale. Everything do oil changes for specs a 30 wt. (Saturn S-Series, Cobalt, Cavalier) Any reason not to run this? Also should I thin this with anything? If so, I have a bunch of M1EP 0w-20 and Castrol Synblend 5w-20 on hand as well - either a good/better match than the other?

TIA.

I would mix Castrol Edge 0w-40 with Castrol Synblend 5w-20 50-50 to make xW30. That is what I have in my S2000 now.

Though I don't have any issue with Supertech, I'm not sure why I would pay for Supertech dino (what is it $12.97 a jug) when I paid $43.25 minus a $20 free to me AZ gift card and another 10% discounted AZ gift card through Discover reward points (and qualified for 2 of the 5 transactions towards another $20 credit from AZ). So Edge 0w-40 at ~$2.43/5 quarts (including tax) - why not.

I knew Edge 0w-40 is well respected. I wasn't concerned when I bought it being a 40wt versus speced for a 30wt (though I don't mind thinning it and using up the 20wt if it's a good mix, which is why I asked). I doubt my Saturn or Cobalt would care. My concern was if the European Formula meant anything that would have negative implications in the cars I listed. I wasn't about to come home, research, and if I thought it worked drive back to AZ and see if it's still on the shelf.

Worst case scenario, I'm pretty sure I can breakeven if I was to post it on Craigslist without much time and effort.

I think it's a pretty good excuse to buy a used BMW, Mercedes or Audi which typically use 0w40 oil. Luxury cars have serious depreciation so one a few years old probably doesn't cost more than a thousand or two over that of a Honda or Toyota, but probably listed for double that when new.

absolutely brilliant analysis there, those things are totally comparable, your not a rocket scientist are you?

If you can find a reputable full synthetic for $1 a quart, I don't see what harm it will do your engine, especially a euro oil as they meet more OEM specs, run it with confidence.

Impo it will work fine only thing I wouldn't use is some kind of 50 weight oil . Ow 40 is fine I all cars the only reason you don't see it more in the state's is the epa

Originally Posted By: Plumber
What does the Euro blend mean?

It generally means that the oil meets many Euro car mfg specs such as MB, BMW, VW/Audi. One of the requirements of these specs is that HT/HS viscosity has to be at least 3.5 cP. This is in stark contrast to most API/ILSAC fuel economy requirements where HT/HS viscosity needs to be kept much lower.

I think the term Euro Oil is slightly confused or mis-used on this site.

All of the European manufacturers have different specifications, however we have something called the ACEA, similar to your API, who set the criteria that oils produced in/for sale in Europe must conform to.

I would run it as is. People over think things like this and the cars you listed are not that picky with oil to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I think the term Euro Oil is slightly confused or mis-used on this site.

I guess you should ask Castrol what they meant when they put the words "European Formula" on the label then.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I would run it as is. People over think things like this and the cars you listed are not that picky with oil to begin with.

I agree. You shouldn't have problems running that oil.

I would certainly take that offer and let you make a profit on it at the same time. Last time that oil was on sale in Canada, it was about 28CAD$ after tax :).

As for the use of it, just use it straight in any of your cars, you won't have any problem with it. Don't see the point of mixing them, it will only make the oil weaker as they are not formulated the same way.

What you can do, is run it longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back