Paid My Car Off Early!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I graduated college with a few people who had no college debt. They got better jobs than me. But somehow they are always broke. I'm not sure how that works.

I wonder if it is semantics. "Broke" as in they spent their money elsewhere--they maxed out retirement, put some into savings, some into an index fund; and then after rent and food, have "nothing" left to spend frivolities.

Or they just had college paid for and are poor spenders. Can't tell.

Poor spending habits from not having to develop any budgeting skills.

'Course, I'm the complete opposite. I refuse to shop anywhere but a thrift shop for pants and shirts, have free/donated furniture and won't heat my apartment above 55.

I buy my clothes wherever I feel like. Since I'll wear until t has holes I don't feel a need to shop around. Then again I buy a couple pairs of pants a year, outside of socks etc.

Now shoes is something I have yet to figure out. Getting decent everyday shoes to go more than a year has been tough.

I use excel to track my expenses, it's actually been a fairly useful tool to forecast each month's expenses. It's also been a real motivator to work harder and get promoted at work. I'm not quite saving as much as I'd like, and with my expenses being very controlled, the only other alternative is to increase income. Might even start flipping cars again.

I buy most of my clothes from Walmart as well, and the newest pair of every day shoes I own is a pair of Wolverine work boots I bought 8/2013.

I get a $200 allowance for safety work shoes per year so I wear RedWing dress shoes that are slip ons.

Maybe work some OT if it's available if your boss allows it.

Originally Posted By: supton
...Now shoes is something I have yet to figure out. Getting decent everyday shoes to go more than a year has been tough.

Try getting two pair of shoes, then switch them off. Use one pair Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Use the other pair Tuesdays and Thursdays. The "day off" gives the leather in the shoe a chance to dry and recover. I think they last longer that way.

Shoes are one thing I splurge on, I swear by SAS (San Antonio Shoes). I run them like above and generally go three to four years before I replace them. So that's 1.5 to 2 years per pair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
It only really makes sense IF you have the money to buy the car for cash but take advantage of a subsidized by the manufacturer and then dollar cost average the purchase of the car.

In 2012, I could have paid cash for my Accord but chose to take advantage of .9% Honda financing to purchase the car so that I could take advantage of the return (16.9% average return over the last 3 years in a variety of mutual funds through American Funds) and conserve capital at the same time. I can then cash flow the payment. In the end, it obviously is a 16% gain.

However, I'm not borrowing $ just to throw in a mutual fund. I am using inexpensive financing to augment an ongoing investment.

I don't think this is the same situation as the OP is in.

I'm really happy for you that it worked out so well. But I think you need to place a "*" next to that "16% gain" remark, because that is *not* typical. In fact, I would like to know which funds you had that performed so well so I can have a look at them, because it is rare for any single fund to beat the market by such a wide margin.

I'm sure you disagree, but my opinion is that if you're holding debt, and you're investing, that debt may as well be funding those investments because otherwise those funds could have gone to paying down your debt. It doesn't much matter to me that the collateral for that loan is a car.

There are Four differences in my situation:

1. I can write a check and pay off my car tomorrow (13K financed on a 19K car) either through mutual funds or savings.
2. I did not buy a car that in anyway is out of budget.
3. I have a sufficient salary to cash flow my payments and allow my money to appreciate.
4. I am in no way living beyond my means. While comfortable, I am living beneath my means.

If you are interested, I would get a good fee based Financial planner and go at it. I simply mentioned my American Funds because they are the part of my portfolio that I am the most familiar with. I will list the fund and the % gain I had last year. All are AM Funds:
American Balanced 18.05%
American Mutual FD 20.08%
Cap Inc Builder-A 16.45%
New Perspective 19.42%
Income Fund of America 16.95%
Capital World Growth & Income A 20.65%
Fundamental Investor 23.42%
Growth Fund America 24.18%

I am very conservative in investing and this is a very diversified approach.
I am not advocating irresponsible levels of debt, what I do is leverage my money to achieve a return that will enable me to retire with a good income.
BTW, this approach will enable me to retire effective May 1 of this year at 53 years old. Between my pension and investments, I will have 90% of my current salary monthly without touching principle.

I have done this through a lot of saving and thoughtful investment. The .9 I am spending to finance the car will cost me $275. over 4 years. Leaving it in the funds that I have noted using my average return of 16.9% will yield over the 4 years almost $17,350 in additional value.

If one is going to be able to retire in this day and age, one needs to be able to prudently utilize their resources. .01% in a bank account isn't going to cut it. If I can use a +800 FICO score to conserve capital and allow thousands of dollars of return, IMO it is stupid not to do so,

Last edited:
The last set I bought from the outlets, Bass of some sort. Slip on, relatively comfy, but the glue at the toes is giving up and I still have tread on the soles. I bought another set, and use the worn pair as slippers now in the house.

I need some winter boots, hiking boots and possibly work boots though. My 15year old Timberlines are really showing age. Haven't figured out what I'll buy there, but might splurge a bit.

I stopped buying jeans. I wear black dress pants, and when I can't use for work they get used around the house. At some point I stop washing them, but will keep using them for yard work. Same for shirts, although they go through the was a bit more often.

I've got a decent positive net worth, despite loans. Not as good as I want, but ok for now. As a friend says, I'm livin' the life.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Uh, hate to be LOGICAL but
with low interest auto loans (2-5%) it would be better to have that cash in your IRA earning 15-30% in mutual funds. If you borrowed 10k in 2008 and invested in an average manner, you would have over 30G's now.

Please please please tell me which funds are earning 15% to 30% over a five year period.

I need specifics, like an *exact* fund.
Fidelity Utilities earned 16 over 3 and 21 over 1 year

Past performance is no guarantee of future performance
smile.gif
2008 - 2014 was a nice market run-up out of a severe recession. The market is wobbly now and I would be wary and conservative.

BTW I have fidelity select consumer staples in my IRA portfolio, about 15% of the pie. TDBO made my argument in amore elegant manner as I'm time constrained to 3 min missives here at work.

I you can get a consumer auto loans for under 3%, that's cheap money. A "new" Car is not an investment its a writedown and its in dangers path of destruction daily. No need to pay it off with cheap money out there; Let the bank float it.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Congratulations. It's a great feeling to be completely free of the burden of debt. The goal of saving up for home ownership is also admirable-it proves that it can be done despite the naysayers. It seems that the self discipline it takes to do what you've managed (and plan to do) often isn't well regarded. It should be, because it's a relative rare quality.

Uh, hate to be LOGICAL
I was. You are emotion driven.

No worries-you weren't.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Congratulations. It's a great feeling to be completely free of the burden of debt. The goal of saving up for home ownership is also admirable-it proves that it can be done despite the naysayers. It seems that the self discipline it takes to do what you've managed (and plan to do) often isn't well regarded. It should be, because it's a relative rare quality.

Uh, hate to be LOGICAL

No worries-you weren't.

You are emotion driven, which is typical of this forum.
I was being logical.
Do you have a well considered retort, Sir or just more ad hominem abuse?
I'm an old man son, been around the block a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back