Frozen Pool - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doesn't end...

Above ground pool. Has been cold here in NE. I saw one of the metal braces on the side of the pool buckle a bit. Noticed the pool pillow that holds the pool cover up deflated (hadn't looked or noticed). Only my second year with the pool so don't know all the ins/outs of it but I guess the pillow created a break in between the water and cover and prevented a full freeze? (I thought some of the chemicals we added for closing prevented a full freeze). No antifreeze, above ground, no lines.

So trying to decide what to do. I drilled a hole and ice is about 5 inches think. Should I try to drain a lot of the water or cut some holes and insert some 'objects' to prevent a solid freeze over the entire surface? Or...hey kids, I just made a rink.

Advice/recommendations.

I thought you had to drain those in the winter?

Or at least winterize them and drain below the intake.

Last edited:
Yeah you gotta get that water out of there. Harbor freight has a gas pump that'll do great.

you have 2 worries here,
1. Pool
2. Lines and pumps

drain pool
drain pipes/pumps asap, or you will have expensive repairs on hand.
use pipe heating cables and wrap to thaw them.

The lines and pumps are most likely done at this point, but they are still worth trying to save. Do you have a heated garage? Gently undo everything and take them in there so they can thaw for a few days.

As for draining the water, I would think a sump pump with some flexible hose would work just fine. It'd be cheap, plus 9/10, you'll possibly need one for your home anyways.. assuming its not on a slab.

By your description, sounds like we have similar pools. For future reference, you need to partially drain them in the fall and purge the pump. I go about 1/2 way down, but you really only need to get 6-8 inches below your skimmer. Do NOT drain all the way, as the walls need some outwards force to keep them standing.

The pool pillow does a couple things. It holds the cover up in the winter and keeps it from accumulating snow. With a deflated pillow and snow load, there is a lot of stress on your pool walls. They are built to resist outwards force, not inwards. The other thing it is supposed to do (which is highly debated) is allow the ice on the pool to expand inwards and put less stress on the outside of the pool. It does not prevent a full freeze.

It's possible the stuff you put in included antifreeze, but there isn't a reason to use it in a pool with no lines. My pool freezes solid every winter with no issues.

If I were in your boat I'd get the cover cleaned off and the pillow re-inflated. I'd probably also pump the water to the right level, although the damage may done there.

EDIT: I personally am skeptical on the pillow preventing a full freeze theory. The pillow is full of air and has limited insulating properties once temps are continually below freezing. The water under it is going to freeze sooner or later. So you end up with a fully frozen pool, with a pillow shaped divot in the middle. Maybe that's better than the alternative, I dunno.

Last edited:
Thanks for all that.

I did drain below the water intake/outlet, not much but maybe I should I have a bit lower. Next thaw, could take a few inches out.

Yes, there are no lines, I disconnected pump/lines and stored it in basement.

The cover is 'full' of ice, so next thaw, need to get it out and a pillow under there. The cover is buried under the ice.

Only my second year, last year wasn't that cold so may not have frozen as deep. Comforting to hear that your pool freezes as well. The buckle isn't really bad, just one metal support has a bend in it.

Thanks for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back