Cop car OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a surplus county sherrifs CVPI with 4.6 that was lucky to see an OCI every 9k per the maintenance records.

They still go through more trannies than engines.
wink.gif

I know LAPD changes oil and filter at 4K mile intervals with Chevron conventional oil and a factory oil filter.

Up here they sell police cars around 100,000kms or 60,000miles...sooner if they have any issues. I wouldn't buy an ex cruiser for anything. I don't care what oil they used.

I idle my vehicles extensively. 5-15min of warm up time, 30sec 1 min cooling before shut down. If it's life and death hurry I still war it up 2 min at least. People scream about the silly low visc rave, and drive their cars to warm up?? Zero load war up is FAR less wear than loaded. And baking oil, seen it motorcycles especially : guy will rip 0-150-0 twice 12-15k rev range and shut the engine down at 10mph. People know of friction, hot spots, heat soak all these things that happen under the hood (or elsewhere). Anyone else think it's silly??

Six months 7,000 miles on conventional oil at an agency I used to work at. We had some people come in going much longer than that once and a while...without problems. Truth is if the particular vehicle is designed well, it usually didn't have problems, but the ones that did?? You could change the oil every month and they'd still have problems.

I am a former State cop. Oil changes were tracked in a vehicle maintenance system. I didn't really pay much attention at the time but I believe vehicles were brought in at about the 4000 mile mark for oil changes or so I recall one of the maint. guys telling me.Since you didn't often pay attention to which vehicle was in or out...too many vehicles to take note.

When our agency had the old CVPI we went with the 3000 mi oil change.

Newer Impalas with the OLM we changed the oil at 10 percent which was about 5000 miles.

As some of the others have stated we had more tranny issues then engine.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
I would think that idling is harder on the oil since the motor is running at its hottest with no airflow through the radiator requiring the radiator fan to cycle on and off just to keep it from overheating,

Far less combustion byproducts contaminating the oil when idling at 500-600 RPM vs. running like a scalded dog out on the streets and highways.

The e-fans keep things cool enough, well within acceptable engine parameters.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Coincidentally, Amsoil just added an hour limit to their signature series oils. It's now 1 year, 700 hours, or 15,000/25,000 miles depending on severe or normal service.

Honestly I think going by hours is probably more accurate for any normal-use and high-idle time vehicle. My car has a trip computer for mpg and such and one of the niftiest things is the average speed. Hovers around 30mph as I've never reset it.

700 hours at 30 mph is 21,000 miles, but I'm definitely severe service (short tripper for work). You'd have to average 35 to reach 25,000 miles which may be do-able in a rural area.

For a specific use-case, you'd have to resort to oil analysis, recording engine on-time, vehicle stopped-time, and to start building a formula for that vehicle in that use case.

I'm surprised this wasn't implemented from the beginning. I guess they've had some warranty claims from users who idled for hours daily but still waited 15-25k miles between changes.

I'm driving a 2011 CVPI and it is changed every 3,000 miles. However, there is a hour meter in the LCD trip odometer display that displays the hours the vehicle has idled in Park...then there is a formula in the owners manual to figure how many miles that is equivalent to. I have never calculated it...just change at 3,000.

Our Chargers are changed every 3,000 miles as well.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Up here they sell police cars around 100,000kms or 60,000miles...sooner if they have any issues. I wouldn't buy an ex cruiser for anything. I don't care what oil they used.

I have seen the 4.6L CVPI's and the old LT1 Caprices go well over 120,000 miles before they were auctioned off. Most here are good cars when we auction them.

Police vehicles here are leased, so are serviced by the book, which is every 15,000km for most of them. Things like diesel Land Cruisers are every 10,000km, and I think the bikes (BMW R1200) are as well. Seems like long intervals, but they go off to auction at around 80-100,000km so I guess they don't keep the vehicles long enough to see any issues.

Great ex police cars are available here. Many times a supervisor's car goes on the block at low miles. We used to buy them and turn them, great money back in the day...

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I thought I read here at BITOG that an hour idling was equal to 33 miles. I'm not positive where it came from originally however I'm sure I read it here.
I read it here, too. That's the formula I've always used for petrol engines; the formula for diesels may be different.

That hour meter is TOTAL engine hours. Not just idle hours. Ford makes mention of this with the CVPI's manual. If I recall correctly, 33 miles = 1 hour of idling FYI.. I believe my CVPI's I see that have engine problems have an excess of 9-10k hours before they start falling apart. Usually the head gasket is the culprit.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
That hour meter is TOTAL engine hours. Not just idle hours. Ford makes mention of this with the CVPI's manual. If I recall correctly, 33 miles = 1 hour of idling FYI.. I believe my CVPI's I see that have engine problems have an excess of 9-10k hours before they start falling apart. Usually the head gasket is the culprit.

Sorry but that is incorrect, at least on the 2011 Crown Vic PI's. Below is a copy and paste from page 271 of the Crown Vic manual. This is located in the "Severe Duty" section of the manual. Also the manual states 1 hour of idle time does in fact equal 33 miles of driving.

IDLE METER
Your vehicle may be equipped with an idle meter to indicate how much time the vehicle is idling in P (Park) or N (Neutral). The meter is incorporated with the vehicle odometer. Pressing the odometer-reset button once will display the trip odometer (miles followed by a “T” for trip odometer). Pressing the odometer-reset button a second time will display the idle meter (hours followed by an “h”for hours). The idle meter only accumulates time when the vehicle is in P (Park) or N(Neutral). Displayed time is cumulative for the vehicle. It cannot be reset to zero.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back