Ariens 522 electric starter dead-repairable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I am the main user of this Ariens Snowblower, I didn't want to pay the $160 for a new electric starter. It fires up almost instantly. Anyone take apart said starter and repair it?

It's most likely the brushes. or the springs for the brushes. I'd take it apart. Nothing to lose
smile.gif

These things see such little use the brushes are probably okay in it, rust on the drive would be more of a suspect on these starters IMO.
Take it apart and see whats going on but before doing that, is there power going to it when you press the switch?

You not able to pull a rope. I have never used an electric start yet on a blower including my new 13hp B&S Simplicity.

Tap it with a screw driver handle while pressing button. If it works then take it apart, clean, then lube. Sounds like a stuck brush. Generally what Trav says has been my observation as well. I have had great luck with fixing small motors, and I'm no great mechanic. If you have troubles, post.The hardest part of electric motors is holding the brushes back as you fit the armature
grin2.gif

A good auto parts store would likely have suitable brushes. Probably all it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back