10k OCI Oils for 2011 Mazda6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

The 60,000 mile/5yr power train warranty on my 2011 Mazda6 is almost up. The OM calls for an 0w20 oil changed every 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first (non-severe service). Although I live in a cold area most of my driving is highway or rural/suburban.

Now that the warranty is up I'd like to increase my oil change intervals (using an 0w20 oil). I have been changing the oil in my Mazda every ~7k miles in order to stay within the requirements of my warranty.

I have done two UOAs on my vehicle, one with a TBN on a synthetic oil. The TBN was 2.7 after almost 7k miles. The other UOA was on Mobil 0w20 however does not list the TBN. I switched from Mobil 1 in order to save some $$ since I was mandated into 7500 mile OCIs and I was able to get other 0w20 synthetics for much less.

Mazda%20UOA%202.jpg

My car has the Mazda/Ford 4cyl 2.5L MZR which is very similar to the Ford Duratec 2.5L in the Ford Fusion and Escape. All indications are that these motors are EASY on oil. I have been exclusively using Purolator PureOne oil filters on this vehicle since new. The synthetic oils have been either Mobil 1 (first ~20k miles) and the rest was on Kendall 0w20 and the latest oil has been Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 (the older formula - non "natural gas").

All indications I have seen is that Pennzoil Platinum (PP) is up to the task of a 10k OCI. My thought process is to pull a UOA at 10k miles on my current OCI as a baseline and then stick to PP every 10k miles and therefore not need a UOA as I would know the oil is still serviceable when I change it out. Does anyone else run 10k OCIs and not pull a UOA at each oil change? I figure long drain intervals are not worth it if you are spending $35 for a UOA each time.

Now here is the rub. I do have two 5 quart jugs of Castrol Edge 0w20 which would last me two oil changes. I got them at Walmart on rollback for $21/each which was an excellent price IMHO. I also see Quaker State UD 0w20 is also $21. All other synthetics were $27 in a 5qt jug.

Would Castrol Edge 0w20 be able to handle a 10k OCI? My other option is to simply return these two 5quart jugs and stick with PP which I know is capable as a long drain oil. Note the Castrol Edge 0w20 I have on hand is not the extended performance version.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say any name brand synthetic would probably be fine for a 10K OCI, especially with mostly highway miles.

Does the car have an OLM?

I'd use mobil 1 0w-20 EP; the $/mile is minor and you will have a lot of buffer space should you need to go a bit further. Just use the ones you bought already and then switch.

The difference is $6/5qt/10000 miles or 3 coffees

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Now here is the rub. I do have two 5 quart jugs of Castrol Edge 0w20 which would last me two oil changes. I got them at Walmart on rollback for $21/each which was an excellent price IMHO. I also see Quaker State UD 0w20 is also $21. All other synthetics were $27 in a 5qt jug.

Would Castrol Edge 0w20 be able to handle a 10k OCI? My other option is to simply return these two 5quart jugs and stick with PP which I know is capable as a long drain oil. Note the Castrol Edge 0w20 I have on hand is not the extended performance version.

Thoughts?

Smart move !
Any synthetic will do 10k miles OCI with your driving habit easily.

I'm having Castrol Edge 0W20 mixed with 0W40 in Honda S2000 and MB E430 now.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'd say any name brand synthetic would probably be fine

Does that include SuperTech ?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I go 10,000 miles all the time. Super Tech will do it just fine.

I have done it also with excellent results. Their add pack is a bit weak though.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I go 10,000 miles all the time. Super Tech will do it just fine.

I have done it also with excellent results. Their add pack is a bit weak though.

How many different engines have you ran 10K OCIs with ST? How many miles on any one engine have you used ST at 10K OCIs?

2 different engines. Both Subaru 2.5 NA engines. Both have over 130K miles. But honestly neither has had the SuperTech for more than say 40K miles.

In answer to tig1:

I have no idea how many times I have used super tech oil to 10,000 miles. I use a variety of cheap oils [including supertech]. Pretty much anything that meets the SAE requirements. Lately that's SN. I maintain 3 vehicles and change oil between 7,500 to 12,500 miles. I don't change oil based on mileage, instead I change twice a year when it's convenient to me. I've followed this schedule for about 20 years and never had an engine wear out. The vehicles are scraped 200,000 miles due to rust as I live in a northern climate.

I would think super tech would do fine in the OP's case as he drives mainly highway. Pretty safe bet it would be fine.

This car does not have an OLM. Actually the 5w20 Super Tech synthetic is a white unicorn in my Walmart. I see only conventional and 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic ST. Also I prefer to stick to an 0w20 for brutal winters here and ST is not available in that weight.

I will probably just go with whatever synthetic is cheapest.

One of my Castrol jugs says Edge with titanium (FST) and one says Edge formally Syntec. One is also dexos approved and the other makes no mention of dexos. I am unsure which one is the latest flavor. They are both black bottles.

I would absolutely run the castrol you already purchased for 10k miles. I would run ST synthetic for 10k as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back