How important is the FIAT 9.55535-S2 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PM then?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Any oil with ACEA C3 meets the Fiat S2 requirements.

No, it doesn't. Not even every MB229.51 oil meets the S2 spec.

Just need to get this out there as things could go wrong quickly, and cost a lot to fix.

Technically they do but specs don't magically appear on labels...

Any C3 oil with a 10 noack meets Fiat S2, as Weasly says

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Any C3 oil with a 10 noack meets Fiat S2, as Weasly says

Which means any 229.51 should do
smile.gif

"It doesn't say too much"

No, it doesn't... So much the better for us, when choosing oil!

To summerize, for MultiAir:
Manual asks for 5w40 ACEA C3 FIAT 9.55535-S2
So we should be looking for:
-5w40, SM/CF or better
-HTHS>=3.5 (which all 5w40 A3/B4 have...)
-MB229.51 (= MB229.5 + low/mid SAPS)

As we have nice low-sulphur fuels here in Europe, and the engine protection is way more important than TWCatalyst's protection, we can lay aside the "low/mid SAPS" demand, and we can content with:
-5w40 A3/B4, HTHS>=3.5
-MB229.5

That's all our engines' need. Every 10k km, not 30k as states in that manual, I'd say.....

Quite simple, huh? :-D

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cuore_Sportivo
It doesn't say too much, does it?
smile.gif

What oil other then Selenia actually have approval from FIAT to carry s2 specification?

There's no such, as far as I know. I've read on some American forums, that they accepted Motul X-clean 5W-40 there as a service oil for Fiat 500 MA due to shortage of Selenia in the States, but no official info.

After doing the research I will finally settle for Midland Synova 5W-40, I guess.

Originally Posted By: zveroboy
"It doesn't say too much"

No, it doesn't... So much the better for us, when choosing oil!

To summerize, for MultiAir:
Manual asks for 5w40 ACEA C3 FIAT 9.55535-S2
So we should be looking for:
-5w40, SM/CF or better
-HTHS>=3.5 (which all 5w40 A3/B4 have...)
-MB229.51 (= MB229.5 + low/mid SAPS)

As we have nice low-sulphur fuels here in Europe, and the engine protection is way more important than TWCatalyst's protection, we can lay aside the "low/mid SAPS" demand, and we can content with:
-5w40 A3/B4, HTHS>=3.5
-MB229.5

That's all our engines' need. Every 10k km, not 30k as states in that manual, I'd say.....

Quite simple, huh? :-D

I'm with you on this. Fiat does have one very nice oil specification that supercede all other full SAPS specifications.
It's z2 spec that's used even in a Ferrari and Maserati. Shell Ultra 5w40 meets those requirements. Let me remind you Pennzoil version of this oil is used in MAir in America.

There's no such, as far as I know. I've read on some American forums, that they accepted Motul X-clean 5W-40 there as a service oil for Fiat 500 MA due to shortage of Selenia in the States, but no official info.

After doing the research I will finally settle for Midland Synova 5W-40, I guess.

Yes, there are none. Fiat doesn't give approvals to other oil manufacturers. Even Shell who is tightly connected to Fiat via its Ferrari subsidiary doesn't carry actual approval. It only meets requirements of.
So if under warranty Selenia is only way to go in Europe.
My quick search tells me that US cars use full SAPS oil, and this is logical due to a different fuel quality.

Motul X-clean is also ACEA C3...

But, actually, as far as I know, you don't need to use Selenia. The manual only states that ACEA C3 and SAE 5W-40 viscosity are a must.

Motul X-clean is also ACEA C3...

But, actually, as far as I know, you don't need to use Selenia. The manual only states that ACEA C3 and SAE 5W-40 viscosity are a must.

I'm pretty sure manual will say to use C3, SAE 5W40 with FIAT 9.55535-s2 spec. Only oil with this spec is Selenia.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

It's z2 spec that's used even in a Ferrari and Maserati. Shell Ultra 5w40 meets those requirements.

That's my future oil, for the two cars I own. I mean the latest Ultra, with "PurePlus Technology" marked on the bottle (GTL Technology) The old one is still on sale...

Do you have a link that explains this Z2 spec? Never found a description of it.

Other 5w40 oils that meet 9.55535-S2 are
-Castrol Magnatec C3
-Castrol Magnatec Diesel DPF
-Fuchs Titan GT1
S2 oils

However, they all have MB229.31 (!), not MB229.51!
Some of them just "meet the ...S2" spec (check the PDSs')... Castrol C3, for ex.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zveroboy
Originally Posted By: chrisri

It's z2 spec that's used even in a Ferrari and Maserati. Shell Ultra 5w40 meets those requirements.

That's my future oil, for the two cars I own. I mean the latest Ultra, with "PurePlus Technology" marked on the bottle (GTL Technology) The old one is still on sale...

Do you have a link that explains this Z2 spec? Never found a description of it.

Other 5w40 oils that meet 9.55535-S2 are
-Castrol Magnatec C3
-Castrol Magnatec Diesel DPF
-Fuchs Titan GT1
S2 oils

However, they have MB229.31 (!?), not MB229.51!
Some of them just "meet the ...S2" spec (check the PDSs')... Castrol C3, for ex.

I'm using new Ultra in my wife's Punto Sport. mk1 with 1.4 16v Stilo engine. Great oil so far.
I have found no explicit description of this spec., but only handful of top spec oils are able to meet requirements (previously mentioned Ultra, M1 0w40). Selenia Sport 5w40 have actual approval.
To meet / recommended for is not the same as to have actual manuf. approval. That said I think it's good enough if it's coming from big players. If you are afraid to go with full SAPS i would look for MB 229.51 on top of Fiat one.
Cheers.

That's why it's better to go the other way round. You start here:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

I was actually doing it, the time you posted. Coincidence
smile.gif

Something curious...Check again my link
S2 oils

Selenia KPE MA is almost twice the price of others.
But it's the only one with FIAT 9.55535-s2 AND MB229.51
However, I don't find it on the official MB229.51 list of approuvals (your link)! Too récent, maybe?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back