Thoughts on STP S6607?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
As for not having earlier 'problems' that may be true too. But skyactive on the first page here makes a cogent point imo, regarding using a much than lower bypass spec. I'd say if the oem is using a significantly higher bypass spec as it seems on 'some' Subys, they must be doing so for a reason.

+ 1 ... Nobody could really tell if the bypass valve is opening or not while driving around. And if the bypass valve was opening a lot, it's not going to cause any real damage anyway since the oil flow volume is basically going to remain the same due to the positive displacement oil pump. It could however cause undue engine wear if debris flows through the bypass valve, but again nobody is going to know that unless they tear down an engine and look/measure for wear. The engine isn't going to blow-up instantly.

I've posted this many times showing what the flow vs delta-p data/curve looks like for a PureOne, which will be similar for other decent flowing filters on the market.

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P Thread

PureOneflowdata.jpg

These crazy Subaru engines that flow 12~14 GPM near redline would still only create about 5~6 PSI delta-p across a filter like this. If the bypass valve was set to 12~16 PSI then there is still some headroom before the bypass valve would open.

But IMO, Subaru is probably increasing the bypass valve setting for other reasons to go along with the high volume oil pumps used in their engines. Like maybe their filter is more restrictive, they want more headroom for cold oil flow situations during higher engine RPM and also for media debris loading factors.

One thing is for sure, if an oil filter can take 23~25 PSI of delta-p across the media and center tube, then that media and filter is built pretty tough - and that's with some safety factor on the design. Sub quality filters might self destruct with that much delta-p across it.

Originally Posted By: stygz
I got an oil change deal from AZ and it came with an S6607 oil filter. It seems smaller that previous filters I have used. In fact the S6607 is also the same filter for my 3.5 v6 Nissan. Is this filter any good for 7500 oci? My engine should be very clean in the Subaru 2.5 non turbo. It has been on synthetic since around 3k miles and it now has just over 50k. I plan on only using this on the Subaru.

Keep it or try to return it to AZ for a better filter at exta cost? Assuming they will exchange / credit me.

The STPs are a 3K oil filter or 4K max IMO.... When you see one cut open the filter element is smaller then most other oil filters for the same engine.

Plus they have very few pleats.

I guess they have to save on costs since Richard Petty is the STP guy.

I have noticed my wifes driving habits lately. She kind of short trips it (10 miles or less at a time usually) and even being this this is only a 2.5 nonturbo she drives kind of spirited. I think I will be changing how I do her oci's. I was doing 7500 on something like PP which could take 10 months to achieve. I may just cut back to every six months using similar oil. In this case I will be using 10w30 Edge gold bottle (older GF-4). I have just one change of that left. In other words I will not have to rely on the STP filter as much.

If it was me, and I was spending more $$$ for synthetic oil for my car, I'd want to spend a couple of extra bucks to match it up with a better filter. I regard the STP filters and the Champ filters as only a small grade above a jobber grade.

Originally Posted By: stygz
I got an oil change deal from AZ and it came with an S6607 oil filter. It seems smaller that previous filters I have used. In fact the S6607 is also the same filter for my 3.5 v6 Nissan. Is this filter any good for 7500 oci? My engine should be very clean in the Subaru 2.5 non turbo. It has been on synthetic since around 3k miles and it now has just over 50k. I plan on only using this on the Subaru.

Keep it or try to return it to AZ for a better filter at exta cost? Assuming they will exchange / credit me.

If you prefer a larger filter, the XG7317 is identical to the 6607 just an inch longer. just have to make sure you have room for it

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
And the internet myth of high bypass psi as a requirement for Subaru's just won't die.... LOL.

Not a myth..its a fact. Having said that. I wouldn't worry about it for an oil change or two. Just go with the WIX as they have the higher bypas or the subaru. I own a 2008 subaru. I purchase the OEM filter.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
And the internet myth of high bypass psi as a requirement for Subaru's just won't die.... LOL.

Not a myth..its a fact. Having said that. I wouldn't worry about it for an oil change or two. Just go with the WIX as they have the higher bypas or the subaru. I own a 2008 subaru. I purc nihase the OEM filter.

Tell that to the Fram engineers and the millions of Subie owners whose engines could care less about this high bypass psi. As stated many times the bypass pressure is specific to the flow requirements and the specific filter media. You need to know all of the design details to make any real conclusion. Or just be an internet engineer and say that because the blue Subie filter has a high bypass psi that it is a design requirement. Flow vs bypass psi graph for the P1 has been discuss on here in the past.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what about flow ? Is it better than the pure one when they were good i hope?

If you real worrked then go OEM....

however FRAM ULTRA has very good FLOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back