2015 F150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: topbliss
The Ford 2.7 got 4 mpg more then the chevy and was the favorite of the 3 pickups tested. Of course its not going to get great mileage towing but you only tow 10% of the time. Read it

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/truc...rado/specs.html

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: topbliss
Our ecoboost in an Escape absolutely gets as much if no more then the epa ratings and it an amazing engine, Ford really did their homework with the Ecoboosts and have a LOT to lose of they don't do what they claim to. The F150's are the money makers for Ford and they don't gamble on them. I would just on the F150 2.7 in a second if I were in the market for a truck. You have a buncha of 'sour grapes' people here cause they can't afford one so they poo poo it.. Don;'t be afraid of the new F150 ecoboosts, you will love it, if you can keep your foot out of the boost
smile.gif

Well I guess motortrend is sour grapes poopooing too, since they noted that while towing and under load the 2.7 got poor gas mileage. If you want to do V8 work, you get V8 fuel economy, simple as that. It takes a certain amount of energy to pull X pounds. There is a finite amount of energy in gas. To get an engine to do the same amount of work at the same rate, you have to push a certain amount of gas through it. The ecoboosts are pretty cheap, the 2.7 is a $795 upgrade over then 3.5 N/A and the 5.0 is actually more expensive. I am willing to bet you havent hitched a big trailer behind that turbo 4 in your escape. If you had, you would see that happens to that good gas mileage. I can see the ecoboosts getting great mileage unloaded. Loaded/towing, not so much. The only way to get better mileage while doing the same work at the same rate is to find a more efficient fuel source (diesel) or a hybrid. Remember, all turbos do is get more fuel and air into a small engine than can be naturally pulled in. They make the engine use more fuel and air when under boost! The efficiency gained through forced induction is just that you get a smaller displacement engine when boost is not needed. Turbos are not a magic bullet. That being said, if I was buying a new half ton, it would be the 2.7 ecoboost. Why? Exactly that, efficiency when not towing. I just wouldnt expect great gas mileage when pulling. Its an unrealistic expectation.

I did read it. You are missing the point.

Originally Posted By: supton
Money saved is money saved.

I'm going to blow your mind with another fallacy. You cant save money by spending it. ba dum dum tss

If you don't need that much towing power but require a pick-up truck's conveniance,
perhaps consider the naturaly aspirated 3.5 V6 in the 2015 F150.

I have a 2014 F150, 4x2 reg. cab short bed.
The base engine is a 3.7 naturaly aspirated V6 with 302HP/278TQ.

With the 6 speed automatic (5-6 are overdrive) and a 3.73 axle ratio,
it has plenty of go for a full size pick-up and no problem towing/hauling occasional loads.

All getting an average of 10litres/100km or 23 MPG combined as a daily driver.
(truck only has 2500 miles, engine not even broken-in yet)

Last edited:
The 2.7 is good for folks who use the truck as a commuter/kiddie hauler during the week and tow a camper or boat a few weekends a month. Decent MPG for the 9 to 5, and decent payload/towing capacity the few times a month when it's needed. And duh, it's going to get cruddy fuel economy when it's towing. Hauling a brick behind the vehicle needs power to overcome that air resistance.

You realize those numbers are for a regular cab 6 1/2 foot bed 2wd truck? As soon as you add on weight and options, along with 4wd expect mileage to decline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
if you care one iota about mpg, dont buy a truck, bottom line.

If I can get a truck that gets 10 mpg or 20 mpg, I shouldn't care? Do operating cost not matter? If a contractor can do a job using half the fuel, he shouldn't care? You'll have to explain why a person wouldn't care about economy.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I'll pass on all ecoboosts. Not only are they having trouble in police interceptor models in excess of 100k miles, but most aren't even making it that far in duty service w/out problems. On the DD side, just as a work truck, I'd opt for the 3.5L ecoboost. But again, I am hesitant at any ecoboost. Can't beat the mpg though.

I have concerns over the Eco Boost powered vehicles too. A neighboring department is having a lot of oil burning, smoking and consumption issues with their EB powered Interceptors...all in less than 3 years....and much less than 100K on them. Their experience has swayed them away from the EB's, as they only plan to purchase the naturally aspirated version from now on.

Originally Posted By: klt1986

I have concerns over the Eco Boost powered vehicles too. A neighboring department is having a lot of oil burning, smoking and consumption issues with their EB powered Interceptors...all in less than 3 years....and much less than 100K on them. Their experience has swayed them away from the EB's, as they only plan to purchase the naturally aspirated version from now on.

Have they done the TSB that addresses those very concerns?

I'll pass on all ecoboosts. Not only are they having trouble in police interceptor models in excess of 100k miles, but most aren't even making it that far in duty service w/out problems. On the DD side, just as a work truck, I'd opt for the 3.5L ecoboost. But again, I am hesitant at any ecoboost. Can't beat the mpg though.

I'm betting they've been beating the [censored] out of them prior to a full warmup and/or shutting them down too soon after a hard run. And who knows what they feed them for oil. Probably killing the seals in the turbos.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
if you care one iota about mpg, dont buy a truck, bottom line.

If I can get a truck that gets 10 mpg or 20 mpg, I shouldn't care? Do operating cost not matter? If a contractor can do a job using half the fuel, he shouldn't care? You'll have to explain why a person wouldn't care about economy.

its obvious that the 2.7L (and 3.5) is an eco disappointment when it comes to economy. It is designed to sell the consumer on the opposite fact. Want to save more whales? How about a 4-6k premium eco diesel ram? Again, the economy argument is utterly lost and crushed. Sure people rant and rave about their 28mpg highway cruise, but it wont pay off for decades.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

I'm betting they've been beating the [censored] out of them prior to a full warmup and/or shutting them down too soon after a hard run. And who knows what they feed them for oil. Probably killing the seals in the turbos.

The same can be said for what they feed and how they use the naturally aspired vehicles. My bet is a naturally aspired engine is a lot more tolerant of abuse.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Have they done the TSB that addresses those very concerns?

I'm not sure what exact procedures have been done. However, you'd think they could figure it out in 2.5 years.

I'm sure they have been run hard and put up wet, so to speak. I can't speak for what specific oil has been used but do know Ford does not have an issue with whatever it has been.

I'm not sure what exact procedures have been done. However, you'd think they could figure it out in 2.5 years.

Really? The PI came out, what last year? And the TSB came out this summer.

http://motrolix.com/2014/06/ford-issues-...incoln-mks-mkt/

My guess is that it's the (different) FWD version that has the issues. My guess is it only shows up under real severe duty. And it appears to be addressed. If your department chooses not to fix the issue that's their issue. If it has been addressed and still does it, then there is a huge beef with the engine, as there should be.

Really? The PI came out, what last year? And the TSB came out this summer.

http://motrolix.com/2014/06/ford-issues-...incoln-mks-mkt/

My guess is that it's the (different) FWD version that has the issues. My guess is it only shows up under real severe duty. And it appears to be addressed. If your department chooses not to fix the issue that's their issue. If it has been addressed and still does it, then there is a huge beef with the engine, as there should be.

These are the AWD EcoBoost powered Interceptors, not the naturally aspirated FWD version. I'm told these are 2013 models that were purchased in 2012. I have no idea what the "in service" date is. I was thinking they were 2012's. I don't have a say in what they do or don't do. My department is running Hemi-Chargers....the Interceptor is making them look really good right now. I will say Ford is standing behind them as of now. However, I surely would not purchase a turbo Interceptor at a used police auction in the coming years.
grin.gif

The '14+ GM 4.3L V-6 could be worth consideration if not towing all the time. I have been getting 22MPG mostly highway out of a 2WD reg. Cab for a few thousand miles now and really don't find it lacking in power too much over my '04 vintage 5.3

These are the AWD EcoBoost powered Interceptors, not the naturally aspirated FWD version. I'm told these are 2013 models that were purchased in 2012. I have no idea what the "in service" date is. I was thinking they were 2012's. I don't have a say in what they do or don't do. My department is running Hemi-Chargers....the Interceptor is making them look really good right now. I will say Ford is standing behind them as of now. However, I surely would not purchase a turbo Interceptor at a used police auction in the coming years.
grin.gif

All the AWD Interceptors are the FWD version of the Ecoboost. Ford has 2 separate versions - the RWD for the F150 and the FWD/AWD for the Explorer/Taurus/Flex/MKT/MKS. As I learned the 2 share little in common other than 3.5L and twin turbos. All AWD/FWD versions use the transverse mount configuration and are FWD with a PTU that sends power to the rears.

Not sure when the PI was released but I think it was 2013. But the they do break down like this:

PI Sedan = Taurus
PI Sedan Ecoboost = Taurus SHO
PI SUV = Explorer

All "beefed up" for Police use.

grin.gif

All the AWD Interceptors are the FWD version of the Ecoboost. Ford has 2 separate versions - the RWD for the F150 and the FWD/AWD for the Explorer/Taurus/Flex/MKT/MKS. As I learned the 2 share little in common other than 3.5L and twin turbos. All AWD/FWD versions use the transverse mount configuration and are FWD with a PTU that sends power to the rears.

Not sure when the PI was released but I think it was 2013. But the they do break down like this:

PI Sedan = Taurus
PI Sedan Ecoboost = Taurus SHO
PI SUV = Explorer

All "beefed up" for Police use.

I see what you are saying concerning the way the engines are mounted in the cars versus the trucks. That may very well be the issue.

I'm sure when a cop is going to an emergency call his first thought isn't "I should let the car warm up for a few minutes before I drive it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back