Recent NTB Flat Repair Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife recently picked up a screw in one of the rear 20s on our Durango. The TPMS triggered the fault. I told her to keep an eye on it. It didn't seem to leak much while driving, but would when parked. She made it home that evening. I saw the screw in the tire. We only had a temp spare, so I didn't want to drive on it. Goodyear (my go-to place for flats) was already closed for the evening. I needed to make an 8:00 appt for the next morning. I've had good luck with the NTB by our kid's school, but the soonest appt. I could get was 10:00. I called the NTB near my work, and got in at 8:00.

I put 38 PSI in that night, and it was down to 14 by morning. I aired back up to 38 in the morning, and carefully drove the kids 13 miles to school, and 6 mi back to NTB. Risky, but I kept an eye on exact pressure via EVIC, and still felt safer than driving on the donut (~5000 lbs). Also, I had a portable compressor along. It only lost about 1-2 psi during the drive. I got to NTB, and told them the exact tire, and place where the screw was. I must have been parked on it, because we didn't see the screw initially. They pulled it in. They came back to waiting area about 10 min later and said, "are you sure you have a flat? We checked, and all tires have ~35 psi". I said, "YES, I saw the screw, and filled this morning. It didn't lose much while driving". They went back out to the shop, and came back about 30 min later with the screw. Meanwhile, there's another lady needing tire work done, and she's getting antsy. They only had 1 tire tech working (at least 8 bays). Isn't this a TIRE shop?

In the end, it took 65 min for my flat repair, and cost $34. Tires Plus guarantees 4 new tires installed in 59 minutes. The tech came in and explained my TPMS light was still triggered, and their tool was too old to clear the code. He said I may have to go to dealer, or the light may go out after a few miles. When I got in, and drove the 2 miles to work, I noticed the EVIC said "inflate to 36 PSI". Can't they read?! When I got to work, I hooked up my portable, and inflated all tires to 37 psi, and the fault was cleared. Now I know why all NTBs around me have horrible reviews. Next time, I will wait for Goodyear.

Oh yeah, I've since purchased a new (take-off) full-size spare for $140 shipped to my door!

D7B83BB0-BEFE-4F28-AEC8-359517E09FE2_zpsyuillfdj.jpg

I know how that goes, I had a miserable experience with a CarX store.

They took a tire that would lose around a pound a day, and after they worked on it, they made it so it would go completely flat overnight.

What brand is the full size spare... a Kuhmo?

Yeah, it looks like a KL21.

Sam's Club also fixes flats for free for members. I've taken advantage of that once. It's pretty painless, though you are subject to waiting behind whomever else is there in the tire department (no appointments).

We recently got Discount Tire in my area and I'm totally sold on them. I've used several different tire chains over the years and I have personal experience working in tire shops.

I would suggest the OP look and see if he has Discount Tire in his area.

My second choice is Firestone Complete Auto Care. I've had pretty good service from them, but I don't really like their limited selection of tires.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Who is NTB? I cannot place the initials to a chain......

National Tire and Battery

National Tire & Battery. They used to be owned by Sears, but spun off on 2003. TBC Corp owns them, Tire Kingdom, Big O, and Merchant Tires.

I will stick to my local Goodyear -- whom I've had real good luck with. For some reason, we've picked up screws on everyone of our last 4 SUVs/trucks.

The only Discount Tire stores in KC are all on the MO side -- and 30-45 min away -- through bad traffic.

Yes -- the spare is a Kuhmo KL21 in an odd size: 245/65/18. The odd size is to fit under the rear hatch lid of the Grand Cherokees. On the Durango, the spare is mounted underneath -- like a truck. I could fit a "true" full size under there, but it would be costly.

Last edited:
NTB used to be called "NTW" National Tire Warehouse when they were first started back in the early 80s.

I believe they were independent at first then sold to Sears, now owned by another major chain.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Never dealt w NTB. The Discount Tire chain around here fixes flats for free no matter what.

America's Tire, same company with Discount Tire, fixes and rotate for free even with tire purchased else where.

Whats the hesitation with using the small sized spare? Unless you are going on the highway for a reasonable amount of time, i dont hesitate to run on my small spare. I would of patched that myself at home since you knew where the hole is.. although if Discount Tire has a place who does a solid inside out style plug for free why not.. 34$ does seem to be a bit high..

For what its worth, I've always plugged my own tires with a plug and have NEVER had a leak or problem. Takes 5 minutes. I'm aware that it is not a "proper" fix, but has never been a problem for me. Knock on wood....

NTB used to be great back in the 80-90s but now completely different company - I avoid at all costs.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Whats the hesitation with using the small sized spare?

I always put them on the back of my front wheel drive cars and never worry about it.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Another incompetent tire tech doing [censored] quality work ???

Just another day in one of the shadiest industries in the
country....the automotive service and repair business.
whistle.gif

NTB used to be a great company but the last time I tried them they treated me like dirt so I left. The guy there said he would not put my snow tires on since they were no longer a new tire. IT is very normal to have snow and regular tires and switch them out. He said he his job was to protect me from myself and not knowing any better. I have done this for over 25 years with no issues and was pretty ticked by his attitude. The local Goodyear did it for me.

Also I have driven on more than a few donuts and never had any issues with them for short term use. Longest was about 2 weeks and it did fine in rain and snow.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Also I have driven on more than a few donuts and never had any issues with them for short term use. Longest was about 2 weeks and it did fine in rain and snow.

Why did you have a donut on a car for 2 weeks ? It's supposed to be used only for short distance and short time.

I could write a book on tire tech woes - all I'll say is good ones are hard to find.

The TPMS thing does not surprise me a bit. They're sensitive to begin with. I've seen techs change tires and never have an issue with the sensors, and I've seen flat repairs where the tech never even touches the sensor (doesn't hit it with the tire machine duckhead either), just removes the tire, patches it, remounts it and reinstall - only for the sensor to never work again.

Even though he didn't check the EVIC to verify the TPMS operation, The tech was right about the scanner not working on your vehicle, each vehicle has it's own unique TPMS reset procedure, it's nothing like clearing OBD2 codes with a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back