Can Royal Purple afford it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can swing sending out a few samples, the PR is always good. And if you like the stuff you'll post positively about it. Win win.-RD

The problem is that you are wrong and can't or won't own up to it. This is not your first time to this rodeo. You might want to read more and type less.

Originally Posted By: deven
I dont agree with anything you have said either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
The problem is that you are wrong and can't or won't own up to it. This is not your first time to this rodeo. You might want to read more and type less.

I dont agree with anything you have said either.

You should heed your own advice.

McDonalds or who ever got sued because someone burnt themselves spilling hot coffee because there was no warnings.[/color]

Watch the documentary, "Hot Coffee"......The McDonald's case was not about what you think it was about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I asked the U.S. mint to send me a sample of the new $5 bill. Their response was similar to RPs......And a $5 bill would have fit in a standard envelope, cost no more to ship than a letter.

How is this different?

Just to be clear, the U.S. mint does not print paper money. That is the job of The Bureau of Engraving and Printing. I know, I also asked for a "sample"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

McDonalds or who ever got sued because someone burnt themselves spilling hot coffee because there was no warnings.[/color]

Watch the documentary, "Hot Coffee"......The McDonald's case was not about what you think it was about.

I will. Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly I dont know much about that other than what I have heard.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I think their reply was very helpful. They even directed you to where you can buy it at!

I already knew I could buy it online. I was just trying to get a free sample to try before buying it. I didn't think shipping a 2-ounce bottle would break the bank, but apparently it will.

You have a sense of entitlement. If you want the product pay for it.

It is at any companies discretion of when, if and where they decide to give away samples and not a right just because you ask for it. It is basically panhandling what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
You have a sense of entitlement. If you want the product pay for it.

It is at any companies discretion of when, if and where they decide to give away samples and not a right just because you ask for it. It is basically panhandling what you are doing.

No.

If you want to test or try a product, then it is a free country and you are more than "ok" with the ability to ask for a sample. Samples are COMMON. Test-drive, carpet swatches... even my local brewery offers samples. They all "cost" money but it is a good way for an informed consumer to make a decision. It is fine for RP to refuse but then I would have no problem with asking another company for a sample... and guess what, if Free-Sample company sends a sample and then as an informed consumer I wish to purchase an item, guess who I would use? Unknown vs Known. Yup, samples can be worms on a hook...

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

No.

If you want to test or try a product, then it is a free country and you are more than "ok" with the ability to ask for a sample. Samples are COMMON. Test-drive, carpet swatches... even my local brewery offers samples. They all "cost" money but it is a good way for an informed consumer to make a decision. It is fine for RP to refuse but then I would have no problem with asking another company for a sample... and guess what, if Free-Sample company sends a sample and then as an informed consumer I wish to purchase an item, guess who I would use? Unknown vs Known. Yup, samples can be worms on a hook...

I know what free samples and the marketing behind it is. Not every company subscribes to it and to demonize those who do not or get flustered because of it, is plain stupid.

The thread title says it all, "Can Royal Purple afford it?". That right there shows and boxes the argument that Royal Purple should be able to afford and send a sample on request when the real issue is they do not as a matter of practice. To get miffed because they do not, is a sense of entitlement.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I just now sent off an email to Royal Purple asking them to send me a free sample of Max-Tuff assembly lube 10553 in the 2-ounce bottle. Was that an outlandish request? How could I have the audacity to ask for such a thing you say? I look at this way: the bottle has a retail price of $7.95 which means it costs them substantially less; and it's fairly light and shouldn't cost much to ship. And besides all that, the worse thing that could happen is for them to say no.
grin2.gif

"Dear Royal Purple,

Please send a sample of Royal Purple Max-Tuff 10553.

CAN MERK AFFORD IT???

Merk, what is your line of work? Send me a sample of your product. If you don't have one, just send me a small item of value out of your garage, or a small amount of your cash. I like getting free stuff. Postage expenditure will be minimal.

Please send me a free sample! Thank you so much." :)

No.

I know what free samples and the marketing behind it is. Not every company subscribes to it and to demonize those who do not or get flustered because of it, is plain stupid.

The thread title says it all, "Can Royal Purple afford it?". That right there shows and boxes the argument that Royal Purple should be able to afford and send a sample on request when the real issue is they do not as a matter of practice. To get miffed because they do not, is a sense of entitlement.

Very very well said.

My hate for the sense of entitlement keeps me out of fast food. Basically: "I paid for something, now I want MORE than what I paid for."

It is a business, not a charity. And I told customers this.

Since Mobil's profit margin is heads and shoulders more/above that of Royal Purple I just emailed them to see if they will send me a sample of their synthetic grease. Will update with their reply!

Last edited:
I agree with the free samples being a good thing. Getting free samples of various products have made me a lifelong customer if I liked the product,and if I didn't,I let the company know and why.

The OP did not get miffed or antagonistic from the beginning or even later. It was an "nope: ol, well" and then you called them "entitled". They point out it would have been an low-cost sample and framed it in a way that was intentionally not a "costly" request. There is nothing entitled there and the OP even said what they wanted to test it out in a ratchet.

No, not every company needs to do free samples...and some do not normally have a product that can be "sampled". But if you don't sample, then what? Good will is not required from the consumer and you are not going to promote your product. Who would say: "A business didn't send me a small sample, I love them?" It isn't like the OP asked for a case of oil. Actually, the OP described how a good relationship generated business with a free sample. I don't think there is any entitlement (other than maybe from RP). Just because you "can" buy something does not mean that you have to fork over money to test it. I think it was just a (no)swing and a miss for RP. Its fine that they might not have samples of that product, but it would have been smart to send something else if they had it (heck even a sticker). They missed that "wow, that was nice" moment. They are a boutique-small-market-share company... they have to distinguish themselves because they are not going to win at a pricepoint for re-packaged Valvoline.
wink.gif

Last edited:

The OP did not get miffed or antagonistic from the beginning or even later. It was an "nope: ol, well" and then you called them "entitled". They point out it would have been an low-cost sample and framed it in a way that was intentionally not a "costly" request. There is nothing entitled there and the OP even said what they wanted to test it out in a ratchet.

No, not every company needs to do free samples...and some do not normally have a product that can be "sampled". But if you don't sample, then what? Good will is not required from the consumer and you are not going to promote your product. Who would say: "A business didn't send me a small sample, I love them?" It isn't like the OP asked for a case of oil. Actually, the OP described how a good relationship generated business with a free sample. I don't think there is any entitlement (other than maybe from RP). Just because you "can" buy something does not mean that you have to fork over money to test it. I think it was just a (no)swing and a miss for RP. Its fine that they might not have samples of that product, but it would have been smart to send something else if they had it (heck even a sticker). They missed that "wow, that was nice" moment. They are a boutique-small-market-share company... they have to distinguish themselves because they are not going to win at a pricepoint for re-packaged Valvoline.
wink.gif

Sorry dude, he had a sense of entitlement. I think the relatively low cost of the item is muddying the issue to make people think otherwise.

If I started a thread titled "Can Porsche afford it?" and then stated I asked Porsche to send me a new 911 as a free sample, then the same principle would apply and it would be obvious I had had sense of entitlement to a free 911 even though both Porsche and Royal Purple could afford the cost of sending a sample.

Whether begging for a penny or a hundred dollars, it is still begging. The whole side story of marketing economics concerning free samples is just that, a side story and gets away from someone asking for something for free and premising it with the supposition that they can afford it.

This whole thing is nothing more than a little stunt by Merk here on BITOG to frame RP as uncaring or greedy. Throwing out the "CAN RP AFFORD IT" title was clear attempt at setting up RP to make them look bad.

Clearly Merks little stunt badly backfired on him.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
This whole thing is nothing more than a little stunt by Merk here on BITOG to frame RP as uncaring or greedy. Throwing out the "CAN RP AFFORD IT" title was clear attempt at setting up RP to make them look bad.

What a load of bull stuff.

I concur with that statement.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

CAN MERK AFFORD IT???

Merk, what is your line of work? Send me a sample of your product.

UPDATE: I happened to look at Merks profile. His occupation is listed as "Industrial sales". Incredible.

Time to man up and walk the walk, Merk. I want one of your samples. I am waiting.

Since Mobil's profit margin is heads and shoulders more/above that of Royal Purple I just emailed them to see if they will send me a sample of their synthetic grease. Will update with their reply!

You have this right. In 2013 Calumet posted 4 million dollars in profit with 5.4 billion dollars of sales due to expansion, operations costs, and expansion. Royal Purple currently can not afford to send free "samples" to every Tom, ****, and Harry at the moment. Also keep in mind Calumet is not going to be calling on the sisters of the poor either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back